SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

19 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Wow, I pop on over here and see a 63 page thread, what must this be about?  Same old, same old.  Old wounds that will not heal.

Outsiders perspective, you can't put lipstick on a pig.  The pig, in this case, is the Fighting Hawks name, it's terrible.  The lipstick is the logo.  Good luck devising a logo to go with a generic bird nickname.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, sacrifice the Hawk.  Blow the whole dang thing up and start over.  It is the only way you guys are going to be able to move on.  The Fighting Hawk name will simply never be embraced by a large portion of your fan base.  If it were, you wouldn't see 60 page threads and entire sections of your message board dedicated to the subject.

Thanks for the honest feedback...It's a tough pill for many to swallow at this time and given the fervor of the "Get on board with the Hawks or you are a hater of all things UND" crowd, we will most likely be living with this embarrassment for many years to come.  I personally don't mind the fighting hawks name, but the logo looks like it was done by someone who had an A going into the Marketing final and mailed it in knowing they could still pass the class with a C final grade.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see a Fighting Hawks logo that takes the current logo and gives us a straight on view of the Hawks face.  I know we have the mascot mock up, but that is not what I am mean.  Give me a straight on hawk face with a little green and black added in and we may have something.  Right now the only hope for the name to gain acceptance is to add a secondary logo.  Cause the one they have now isn't going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Wow, I pop on over here and see a 63 page thread, what must this be about?  Same old, same old.  Old wounds that will not heal.

Outsiders perspective, you can't put lipstick on a pig.  The pig, in this case, is the Fighting Hawks name, it's terrible.  The lipstick is the logo.  Good luck devising a logo to go with a generic bird nickname.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, sacrifice the Hawk.  Blow the whole dang thing up and start over.  It is the only way you guys are going to be able to move on.  The Fighting Hawk name will simply never be embraced by a large portion of your fan base.  If it were, you wouldn't see 60 page threads and entire sections of your message board dedicated to the subject.

whoa. This post alone would lead to a 60 page thread by itself.:blink:

50 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Yeah, that's not going to happen.  UND is not going to go through the time, money, and effort to start over and likely end up with the same result.

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

That is sad. Fans of the name and logo feeling like outsiders to support athletes of the same school, because you have some people who can’t let others accept the new name. I see it on social media, but I bet it’s 10 times worse at the REA. After all it’s the place where people booed their own team.

Do you really believe all the stuff you say? People better fear for their lives and feel like outsiders if they dare come to the REA wearing hawks stuff or cheer for the hawks, really?  And we were booing our own team, damn us. I wasn’t the one booing but I’m pretty sure it was the name and not the team that was being booed but you think what you want to think in you’re own little world. If fans our feeling like outsiders then they’re making themselves feel that way. Wear what you want to wear and cheer for the players whether you think they’re the Sioux or the hawks!

Oh yeah, GO SIOUX!!! :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Getting back on topic, the real issue is not whether fans are for or against the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  The issue is that Ralph Engelstad Arena and the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center were built for the University of North Dakota.  And they should be doing everything they can to help them along the way.  And that includes helping the University with their name/logo re branding efforts.  REA Inc/Engelstad Foundation aren't doing that.  And that is a big problem and that was the true intention of the gift.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

Do you really believe all the stuff you say? People better fear for their lives and feel like outsiders if they dare come to the REA wearing hawks stuff or cheer for the hawks, really?  And we were booing our own team, damn us. I wasn’t the one booing but I’m pretty sure it was the name and not the team that was being booed but you think what you want to think in you’re own little world. If fans our feeling like outsiders then they’re making themselves feel that way. Wear what you want to wear and cheer for the players whether you think they’re the Sioux or the hawks!

Oh yeah, GO SIOUX!!! :)

“When many of those same people head to a hockey game night (and it can be the same day) they think twice about wearing it in the arena because it has not been accepted there.”

Was this quote from Siouxperman8 bullsh*t? 

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

I feel I have to wear hawk gear to UND sports games because otherwise I'll get Sioux shamed.

Or Darell will go back to all your posts and smack them with the down arrow!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

I feel I have to wear hawk gear to UND sports games because otherwise I'll get Sioux shamed.

BTW.......just don't wear it 2 sizes too small!

#heylookatthechubbyguy

1 minute ago, WiSioux said:

UND doesn't need to add a secondary logo, they need to add a primary logo and make the current logo secondary.

That's fine to label it whatever you want. But, the base logo would be the general simple version. Then, the secondary one is introduced and is more specific and unique.  

Really the school could then push whichever logo they want for the situation.  

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I would like to see a Fighting Hawks logo that takes the current logo and gives us a straight on view of the Hawks face.  I know we have the mascot mock up, but that is not what I am mean.  Give me a straight on hawk face with a little green and black added in and we may have something.  Right now the only hope for the name to gain acceptance is to add a secondary logo.  Cause the one they have now isn't going anywhere.

b1dd36670be2f64c6f8c047fea22edfd.jpg

9 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

UND doesn't need to add a secondary logo, they need to add a primary logo and make the current logo secondary.

What Hawk logo would be better than what we have that people would get behind. 

13 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Yup that's it because if you put more mayo on chicken s**t eventually it will taste like chicken salad! :silly:

I'll dumb it down for you again......................most will be or are ok with the nickname (myself included) but it is the logo and 5+ years from now it will still been seen as garbage by almost all who don't like it today. It's not that complicated.

That's your opinion. Your ability to articulate it surely leaves something to be desired. I personally know several people who have started to taste "chicken salad" after a year of time to digest the reality of the logo and nickname.

And, once again, the fact such a divide regarding the nickname/logo even exists is detrimental to UND athletics in general. It's a fight that takes valuable energy away from potentially more focused, unified goals and accomplishments.

• Upvote 2