Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
jdub27

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

All I am saying is look at the results.  Bubba came out 10 minutes after the logo was announced and gave his full support and acknowledged that is was important for  us to embrace the new logo.  He then said the logo would be on the helmets next season.  Go to football games.  You see the Fighting Hawks logo everywhere.  YOu see flags in the tailgate lot.  People wearing Fighting Hawks merchandise.  You see football players making statements about being Fighting Hawks and being proud of it.  If Bubba had acted like Berry has towards the new name and logo, I don't think you would have seen the same result.

Brad Berry is a leader.  He is the leader of the most popular sport at UND.  And thus, has the largest fanbase.  People look up to Berry and the hockey team as leaders at the University.  They are the most high profile aesthetes at UND.  If Berry were to fully embrace the Fighting Hawks name and logo, there would be a different atmosphere in regards to acceptance of the logo.  They would see how the team is reacting to the logo and name and many would follow.  You can't deny that the hockey program as a whole's rejection of the Fighting Hawks name/logo has played a huge role in people not embracing it.  

Coaches have a responsibility to support the University.  Just like we all have a responsibility to support the practices and policies at our job.  I don't think it should have to come to a point where Kennedy or Chaves is going to have to sit Berry down and say, "Hey Brad, we would really appreciate it if you would maybe be more supportive of the Fighting Hawks name and logo because we are trying to promote our new brand and you and your programs support could really go a long way."  He should realize this on his own.  Apparently he hasn't yet.  

Fighting Hawks gear has a decent foothold with people at football games and when tailgating.  When many of those same people head to a hockey game night (and it can be the same day) they think twice about wearing it in the arena because it has not been accepted there. 

I know I consider changing to Sioux gear and usually wear a mix of both.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

He is the least vocal of the name out of the five major sport coaches.

Remember when Travis Brewster posted on twitter they'll always be known as the Sioux the same day the Fighting Hawk logo was revealed?

It's ok because he doesn't have a large sport following.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Fighting Hawks gear has a decent foothold with people at football games and when tailgating.  When many of those same people head to a hockey game night (and it can be the same day) they think twice about wearing it in the arena because it has not been accepted there. 

I know I consider changing to Sioux gear and usually wear a mix of both.  

That is sad. Fans of the name and logo feeling like outsiders to support athletes of the same school, because you have some people who can’t let others accept the new name. I see it on social media, but I bet it’s 10 times worse at the REA. After all it’s the place where people booed their own team.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Fighting Hawks gear has a decent foothold with people at football games and when tailgating.  When many of those same people head to a hockey game night (and it can be the same day) they think twice about wearing it in the arena because it has not been accepted there. 

I know I consider changing to Sioux gear and usually wear a mix of both.  

I will admit that I wear a mix of both. All of my Jerseys and shirts are Fighting Sioux but I do have a Hawks hat with the logo offset that I like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Remember when Travis Brewster posted on twitter they'll always be known as the Sioux the same day the Fighting Hawk logo was revealed?

It's ok because he doesn't have a large sport following.

North Dakota’s director of athletics, Bill Chaves, also signed off on including the hawks logo at center court, as did Brian Jones, head coach of the UND men’s basketball team, J. Travis Brewster, head coach of the UND women’s basketball team, Mark Pryor, coach of the women’s volleyball team, and the head of the cheer team.

http://www.insidesources.com/at-und-the-fighting-sious-are-gone-but-mascot-controversy-remains-at-center-court/

 

He must have warmed up to it in the two years of the logo.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

That is sad. Fans of the name and logo feeling like outsiders to support athletes of the same school, because you have some people who can’t let others accept the new name. I see it on social media, but I bet it’s 10 times worse at the REA. After all it’s the place where people booed their own team.

I heard the Sioux Forever fans are going to start employing Antifa tactics on those wearing Hawk logos next year.....just a heads up.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, petey23 said:

I heard the Sioux Forever fans are going to start employing Antifa tactics on those wearing Hawk logos next year.....just a heads up.

Why make a smart assed remark when someone else posted about changing gear to not offend the presicous snowflakes of the FSF club. You don’t see that as a major problem of our fanbase? Oh wait you are the one who likes the Bison logo so why not just stick to cheering for them full time.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

That is sad. Fans of the name and logo feeling like outsiders to support athletes of the same school, because you have some people who can’t let others accept the new name. I see it on social media, but I bet it’s 10 times worse at the REA. After all it’s the place where people booed their own team.

What color is the sky you live in?  Booing our own team?  Righhhhhtttt....time for your medications.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BobIwabuchiFan said:

What color is the sky you live in?  Booing our own team?  Righhhhhtttt....time for your medications.

They were booing the ND Fighting Hawks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

They were booing the ND Fighting Hawks.

The logo, not the student athletes...do you not see the difference?  Scratch that...dumb question...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

The logo, not the student athletes...do you not see the difference?  Scratch that...dumb question...

Wonder if they will boo the new Hawk mascot?  BTW, the name Darrell won in a landslide!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

The logo, not the student athletes...do you not see the difference?  Scratch that...dumb question...

The logo was the interlocking ND for the first year of the Fighting Hawks name (see 2016 National Title banner), when the booing started. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Wonder if they will boo the new Hawk mascot?  BTW, the name Darrell won in a landslide!

Just you and the FSF club. Kids will have a good time with the mascot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, darell1976 said:

The logo was the interlocking ND for the first year of the Fighting Hawks name (see 2016 National Title banner), when the booing started. 

If I remember correctly, it occurred when the stated, "You're Fighting Hawks Scoring"....Then they stopped saying that and the booing went away...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BobIwabuchiFan said:

If I remember correctly, it occurred when the stated, "You're Fighting Hawks Scoring"....Then they stopped saying that and the booing went away...

How dare they announce the nickname of the school in the same way they would say Fighting Sioux scoring. So they alter the words so the nickname of the school doesn’t get said. Pathetic. The booers better get some thicker skin in 12 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

So why do players say “Fighting Sioux hockey” during intermission interviews? Or tweet #FightingSioux? I am sure if Berry could he would rip that Hawk patch off the jersey in a split second. He is the least vocal of the name out of the five major sport coaches. Berry doesn’t support the new logo it’s more of tolerating it. 3 coaches want a Hawk on center court of the Betty that’s support. Berry not stepping up and saying to put a Hawk on center ice speaks volumes.

Yeah, I'm guessing he's probably more focused on recruiting, coaching, and other team related activities.  You know, the stuff he gets paid for...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I pop on over here and see a 63 page thread, what must this be about?  Same old, same old.  Old wounds that will not heal.

Outsiders perspective, you can't put lipstick on a pig.  The pig, in this case, is the Fighting Hawks name, it's terrible.  The lipstick is the logo.  Good luck devising a logo to go with a generic bird nickname.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, sacrifice the Hawk.  Blow the whole dang thing up and start over.  It is the only way you guys are going to be able to move on.  The Fighting Hawk name will simply never be embraced by a large portion of your fan base.  If it were, you wouldn't see 60 page threads and entire sections of your message board dedicated to the subject.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Yeah, I'm guessing he's probably more focused on recruiting, coaching, and other team related activities.  You know, the stuff he gets paid for...

And Bubba, Brian, Travis and Mark weren’t. Got it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Wow, I pop on over here and see a 63 page thread, what must this be about?  Same old, same old.  Old wounds that will not heal.

Outsiders perspective, you can't put lipstick on a pig.  The pig, in this case, is the Fighting Hawks name, it's terrible.  The lipstick is the logo.  Good luck devising a logo to go with a generic bird nickname.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, sacrifice the Hawk.  Blow the whole dang thing up and start over.  It is the only way you guys are going to be able to move on.  The Fighting Hawk name will simply never be embraced by a large portion of your fan base.  If it were, you wouldn't see 60 page threads and entire sections of your message board dedicated to the subject.

What is the magical name and logo?  Nobody ever seems to know but they sure know Hawks isn't it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Wow, I pop on over here and see a 63 page thread, what must this be about?  Same old, same old.  Old wounds that will not heal.

Outsiders perspective, you can't put lipstick on a pig.  The pig, in this case, is the Fighting Hawks name, it's terrible.  The lipstick is the logo.  Good luck devising a logo to go with a generic bird nickname.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, sacrifice the Hawk.  Blow the whole dang thing up and start over.  It is the only way you guys are going to be able to move on.  The Fighting Hawk name will simply never be embraced by a large portion of your fan base.  If it were, you wouldn't see 60 page threads and entire sections of your message board dedicated to the subject.

The Hawk name is there for good. The logo may be accompanied by a second logo instead of scraped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

And Bubba, Brian, Travis and Mark weren’t. Got it.

 

Your words, not mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blackheart said:

Your words, not mine.

Your words said enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Your words said enough

You have quite an imagination.  Maybe you should get some thicker skin; you seem to be bothered by any comment on here that doesn't end with "Go Hawks!"

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×