SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

All I am saying is look at the results.  Bubba came out 10 minutes after the logo was announced and gave his full support and acknowledged that is was important for  us to embrace the new logo.  He then said the logo would be on the helmets next season.  Go to football games.  You see the Fighting Hawks logo everywhere.  YOu see flags in the tailgate lot.  People wearing Fighting Hawks merchandise.  You see football players making statements about being Fighting Hawks and being proud of it.  If Bubba had acted like Berry has towards the new name and logo, I don't think you would have seen the same result.

Brad Berry is a leader.  He is the leader of the most popular sport at UND.  And thus, has the largest fanbase.  People look up to Berry and the hockey team as leaders at the University.  They are the most high profile aesthetes at UND.  If Berry were to fully embrace the Fighting Hawks name and logo, there would be a different atmosphere in regards to acceptance of the logo.  They would see how the team is reacting to the logo and name and many would follow.  You can't deny that the hockey program as a whole's rejection of the Fighting Hawks name/logo has played a huge role in people not embracing it.  

Coaches have a responsibility to support the University.  Just like we all have a responsibility to support the practices and policies at our job.  I don't think it should have to come to a point where Kennedy or Chaves is going to have to sit Berry down and say, "Hey Brad, we would really appreciate it if you would maybe be more supportive of the Fighting Hawks name and logo because we are trying to promote our new brand and you and your programs support could really go a long way."  He should realize this on his own.  Apparently he hasn't yet.  

Fighting Hawks gear has a decent foothold with people at football games and when tailgating.  When many of those same people head to a hockey game night (and it can be the same day) they think twice about wearing it in the arena because it has not been accepted there. 

I know I consider changing to Sioux gear and usually wear a mix of both.  

41 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

He is the least vocal of the name out of the five major sport coaches.

Remember when Travis Brewster posted on twitter they'll always be known as the Sioux the same day the Fighting Hawk logo was revealed?

It's ok because he doesn't have a large sport following.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Fighting Hawks gear has a decent foothold with people at football games and when tailgating.  When many of those same people head to a hockey game night (and it can be the same day) they think twice about wearing it in the arena because it has not been accepted there. 

That is sad. Fans of the name and logo feeling like outsiders to support athletes of the same school, because you have some people who can’t let others accept the new name. I see it on social media, but I bet it’s 10 times worse at the REA. After all it’s the place where people booed their own team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I will admit that I wear a mix of both. All of my Jerseys and shirts are Fighting Sioux but I do have a Hawks hat with the logo offset that I like. 

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Remember when Travis Brewster posted on twitter they'll always be known as the Sioux the same day the Fighting Hawk logo was revealed?

It's ok because he doesn't have a large sport following.

North Dakota’s director of athletics, Bill Chaves, also signed off on including the hawks logo at center court, as did Brian Jones, head coach of the UND men’s basketball team, J. Travis Brewster, head coach of the UND women’s basketball team, Mark Pryor, coach of the women’s volleyball team, and the head of the cheer team.

http://www.insidesources.com/at-und-the-fighting-sious-are-gone-but-mascot-controversy-remains-at-center-court/

He must have warmed up to it in the two years of the logo.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

That is sad. Fans of the name and logo feeling like outsiders to support athletes of the same school, because you have some people who can’t let others accept the new name. I see it on social media, but I bet it’s 10 times worse at the REA. After all it’s the place where people booed their own team.

I heard the Sioux Forever fans are going to start employing Antifa tactics on those wearing Hawk logos next year.....just a heads up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

I heard the Sioux Forever fans are going to start employing Antifa tactics on those wearing Hawk logos next year.....just a heads up.

Why make a smart assed remark when someone else posted about changing gear to not offend the presicous snowflakes of the FSF club. You don’t see that as a major problem of our fanbase? Oh wait you are the one who likes the Bison logo so why not just stick to cheering for them full time.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

What color is the sky you live in?  Booing our own team?  Righhhhhtttt....time for your medications.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

The logo, not the student athletes...do you not see the difference?  Scratch that...dumb question...

Wonder if they will boo the new Hawk mascot?  BTW, the name Darrell won in a landslide!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

The logo, not the student athletes...do you not see the difference?  Scratch that...dumb question...

The logo was the interlocking ND for the first year of the Fighting Hawks name (see 2016 National Title banner), when the booing started. 

Just now, darell1976 said:

The logo was the interlocking ND for the first year of the Fighting Hawks name (see 2016 National Title banner), when the booing started. 

If I remember correctly, it occurred when the stated, "You're Fighting Hawks Scoring"....Then they stopped saying that and the booing went away...

Just now, BobIwabuchiFan said:

If I remember correctly, it occurred when the stated, "You're Fighting Hawks Scoring"....Then they stopped saying that and the booing went away...

How dare they announce the nickname of the school in the same way they would say Fighting Sioux scoring. So they alter the words so the nickname of the school doesn’t get said. Pathetic. The booers better get some thicker skin in 12 years.

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

So why do players say “Fighting Sioux hockey” during intermission interviews? Or tweet #FightingSioux? I am sure if Berry could he would rip that Hawk patch off the jersey in a split second. He is the least vocal of the name out of the five major sport coaches. Berry doesn’t support the new logo it’s more of tolerating it. 3 coaches want a Hawk on center court of the Betty that’s support. Berry not stepping up and saying to put a Hawk on center ice speaks volumes.

Yeah, I'm guessing he's probably more focused on recruiting, coaching, and other team related activities.  You know, the stuff he gets paid for...

Wow, I pop on over here and see a 63 page thread, what must this be about?  Same old, same old.  Old wounds that will not heal.

Outsiders perspective, you can't put lipstick on a pig.  The pig, in this case, is the Fighting Hawks name, it's terrible.  The lipstick is the logo.  Good luck devising a logo to go with a generic bird nickname.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, sacrifice the Hawk.  Blow the whole dang thing up and start over.  It is the only way you guys are going to be able to move on.  The Fighting Hawk name will simply never be embraced by a large portion of your fan base.  If it were, you wouldn't see 60 page threads and entire sections of your message board dedicated to the subject.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Yeah, I'm guessing he's probably more focused on recruiting, coaching, and other team related activities.  You know, the stuff he gets paid for...

And Bubba, Brian, Travis and Mark weren’t. Got it.

2 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Wow, I pop on over here and see a 63 page thread, what must this be about?  Same old, same old.  Old wounds that will not heal.

Outsiders perspective, you can't put lipstick on a pig.  The pig, in this case, is the Fighting Hawks name, it's terrible.  The lipstick is the logo.  Good luck devising a logo to go with a generic bird nickname.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, sacrifice the Hawk.  Blow the whole dang thing up and start over.  It is the only way you guys are going to be able to move on.  The Fighting Hawk name will simply never be embraced by a large portion of your fan base.  If it were, you wouldn't see 60 page threads and entire sections of your message board dedicated to the subject.

What is the magical name and logo?  Nobody ever seems to know but they sure know Hawks isn't it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

The Hawk name is there for good. The logo may be accompanied by a second logo instead of scraped.

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Your words said enough

You have quite an imagination.  Maybe you should get some thicker skin; you seem to be bothered by any comment on here that doesn't end with "Go Hawks!"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2