SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Wasn’t kennedy strength fundraising 

Right, was like high on his list of strengths on day 1.

A full $ disclosure of the ticket office and The Ralph would be healthy. And then make some adjustments and move on, but these things hardly ever work that way.

We sure don't need problems here.  For the supporters that buy hockey tickets, an explanation for their piece of mind is important. Tickets sales could slip in the future. 

11 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Go play in the parking structure?

The Alerus Center could potentially accommodate basketball. Other options could certainly also be in the discussion. The "parking structure" is not being considered, sir. 

I do remember watching the Timberwolves play at the Alerus back when I was in college and the setup was less than impressive. UND has a nice basketball facility in place; if anything look to improve upon. Kennedy needs to shift his focus elsewhere.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Better question is why does a facility that is still a year or two away from being 15 years old have such a leaky roof? Seems like there is more to that than the Herald went into because it doesn't add up.

A good question to ask and have answered. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

However you feel about the Engelstad Foundation and REA, I for one am not optimistic about the University's willingness and ability to spend the money to keep the arena updated on a regular basis.

UNd can still make public to its donors the needs of REA in the future.  Engelstad Foundation can still donate to make those a reality.  Wasn't the money donated for updating the locker room made through private donations?  Doesn't necessarily have to be on UND's dime once 2030 comes. 

1 hour ago, Big Lubowski said:

I don’t have any idea what the true story is here but it should be pointed out that McGarry is also doing battle with UNLV, her alma mater, and has rescinded their $14m donation to the Med school there because the president was “pushed out.” I understand big donors have significant influence, and that college presidents and governing boards can all be very obtuse, but how much control and influence do we want non-elected individuals to have with state run institutions? 

The fact that McGarry requested this interview tells me she intended to throw a grenade here, and hopes to get a certain result—-Kennedy gone, or Kennedy more agreeable to what she proposes. 

Again, I don’t know much about Kennedy, or his abilities, but these tactics by McGarry seem pretty strong-armed. They really put Kennedy in a difficult position. 

The Ralph donation wasn’t a contract with the devil, but UND certainly sold its soul to a certain extent, and it has to be somewhat frustrating for a college President not to have full control of its major sports—hockey, and men’s & womens b-ball.

I think it is pretty clear that if you are going to donate (as in give away, for free) your own money, you may want some degree of say in how it is used. If Kennedy doesn't want to play ball, then he is going to have funds withdrawn.

Personally, I think Kennedy is being a bit of a moron. When the school and programs are already strapped for cash, you may want to work with your donors. Not tick them off.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sprig said:

Not understanding why Kennedy is against the REA spending 800K on a new roof for the Betty. It currently leaks constantly. It's not UND $, it's Engelstad $ paying for it.

That caught me as odd, too. 

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Here's what we know. Members of the Engelstad family have publicly stated they have a strained relationship with President Kennedy.

Last time the Englestads were upset with the UND president, he found a new job. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UNd can still make public to its donors the needs of REA in the future.  Engelstad Foundation can still donate to make those a reality.  Wasn't the money donated for updating the locker room made through private donations?  Doesn't necessarily have to be on UND's dime once 2030 comes. 

You're not wrong.  I'm just wary, given the history of fiscal decision making at the school.  

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

After reading that, combined with Kennedy's other transgressions, I would say his days are numbered.  

Time for Kennedy to go - the board made a huge mistake hiring this self-promoting tool instead of Steven Shirley from Minot State.  Under his watch anyone with any institutional memory has been unceremoniously booted - The purge is almost complete.  Moral could not be lower among the faculty.  No one trust the provost who self-admittedly likes to blow things up, just because.    Almost every day I drive by the ultimate monument to his arrogance and stupidity - he turned a wonderful community golf course which was gifted to the University and was making money into a poorly maintained pasture.  News flash - no one is building a Dinky-Town there - even if someone wanted to, an environmental study with the coolie there would take years.  To start a conversation with our biggest donor with "I could sue you" would be almost funny if it wasn't so vintage Kennedy ego.  Time for him to hit the road.  He is so short of having the leadership our Flagship University needs it is scary.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Here's what we know. Members of the Engelstad family have publicly stated they have a strained relationship with President Kennedy.

Which is the narrative they went out of their way to express to the public and alumni.  Now I would be interested in why, with details.  

13 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

When the school and programs are already strapped for cash, you may want to work with your donors. Not tick them off.

So if a current contract isn't possibly being followed to the detriment of UND or there is legitimate reason to renegotiate it, he should just ignore that?

No one knows what was actually said or discussed. What we know is one side called the local newspaper, flew into town to give their side of the story in person and make the whole thing public. 

Let's be honest, all this does is give those who already have some sort of grudge against Kennedy (including the Herald) a chance to pile on, when he's doing something he stated he would a few months back and look at renegotiating contracts with partners, including the REA.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Wait.. what?  Which one? Bakker?

My Bad, AD and President pissed off an Engelstad. 

According to a source close to the university administration,
Engelstad let key school officials and boosters know that he
wanted Wanless and Baker ousted. Word spread around Grand Forks
that before he would give the school more money, Engelstad not
only wanted Baker and Wanless removed but also wanted guarantees
that the Indian-head logo would be reinstated for hockey and the
Fighting Sioux nickname retained.

Engelstad got everything he sought. In August 1998, Wanless
announced he would resign at the end of the upcoming school
year. Less than three weeks later Baker did the same. In
December '98, Engelstad announced his $100 million gift, one of
the 10 largest donations ever made by an individual to a U.S.
university; $50 million was earmarked for the hockey arena and
$50 million for unspecified other uses.

That Engelstad's announcement followed the departures of Baker
and Wanless "is merely a coincidence," says Strinden, but others
can't help but link the events. "The evidence was compelling,"
says Jim Antes, a psychology professor and former member of the
school's athletic committee. "Nothing surprises me anymore about
how the university is influenced by this man."

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Where did Kennedy say he had a problem with spending $800k on fixing the roof?

If he is suggesting on moving the GBB and MBB out of the Betty he must not want them playing on a wet floor.

Just now, jdub27 said:

So if a current contract isn't possibly being followed to the detriment of UND or there is legitimate reason to renegotiate it, you should just ignore that?

No one knows what was actually said or discussed. What we know is one side called the local newspaper, flew into town to give their side of the story in person and make the whole thing public. 

Pretty much a gaurantee that Kennedy will sit down with the Herald and give his side of the story.  Or at least he would be smart to do so.  There is always two sides to every story.  I don't mind Kennedy looking out for the best interests of the University, but you still need to do it the right way.  Upsetting your biggest donor is probably not the best way.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Baker as well as former AD Terry Wanless.  Ralph basically said that he wouldn't donate money for the new arena unless those two were gone.

But the "last time" that Ralph was ticked of at a president publicly it was Kuppy. Remember the famous "Dear Chuck" letter?  That's my point. Kupchella retired years after those threats, though.

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

A lot of people have already picked their sides. This will just serve the narrative of those who hate him for being a polititician and for daring to shake thing up and having an aggressive vision for UND.

And, at least on here, the division and derision is falling mostly along very familiar "party lines." 

2 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

But the "last time" that Ralph was ticked of at a president publicly it was Kuppy. Remember the famous "Dear Chuck" letter?  That's my point. Kupchella retired years after those threats, though.

Long thread, but I brought up the letter earlier.  This is his daughter's "Dear Chuck" moment.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

• Upvote 1