SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Your take is incorrect.....I have.

Was just in the hockey locker room and meeting rooms recently too.

Parts of them are borderline condemnable. Great view for recruits. At least they finally got new lockers to put in them, slap a little lipstick on that pig. 

Tough to make the argument that stuff like that doesn't matter when the hockey team literally made that exact argument on why they needed to spend the (semi-private) money to renovate their locker room to make sure they keep up with rival programs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Goon said:

Numerous times this season,  I shot photos from the ADA seats in the student section and I couldn't believe the way the ushers treated the students. I made a comment about this to another person taking photos. Someone from the student body needs to take this higher. A puck goes into the crowd and you have ushers running to that location as if there's going to be an incident.  I was taken back by their behavior. 

I know ushers in most venues go to the area to make sure nobody is hurt.   

55 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Good point, we have great facilities for basketball and football. 

Not great when considering football coaching offices, meeting rooms, and locker rooms. This is what I said in my previous post and somehow the Alerus Center trumped that. 

18 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

interesting thread,  I think I am less of a football fan because of it..   carry on

Once again the programs get isolated. Support the entire University, not just a single program. I find it hard to believe many of these people are UND graduates.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

How about start by just being a UND fan and not differentiate between programs. 

Might need to tell that to UND "FOOTBALL FAN" and others that try to wedge one program against the other.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Might need to tell that to UND "FOOTBALL FAN" and others that try to wedge one program against the other.  

Where have you been the last couple weeks? The REA inc./UND agreement and current controversy has illustrated the "wedging" for me. I just happened to sense tensions of this sort years ago and have been outspoken about it. It's simply a fact that makes UND athletics less than completely functional as a whole. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

I was under the impression that upgrades were from donations.  With so many more football alumni than hockey, you would think that they could get some donations from them for things like that and salary upgrades for coaches.  

Honest question. I thought the $3M for hockey locker room reno came from money held back by REA for building improvements which in turn would have decreased money back to UND over the years.  Any truth there?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tnt said:

I was under the impression that upgrades were from donations.  With so many more football alumni than hockey, you would think that they could get some donations from them for things like that and salary upgrades for coaches.  

I don't know the breakdown, however yes, a large majority came from private donations, including the Engelstads. However there were at least some REA resources  used for some portions of it in whatever capacity. The point was that the argument that things like locker room doesn't matter help or matter for recruiting for one team but is so important another needs to spend a significant amount of money on it doesn't hold water.

Also, I think you're underestimating how much the UND alumni football player endowment is and how much they raise annually to contribute to the athletic department. If you were to take Mr. Engelstad out of the equation (an obvious game changer), I think the football team alumni would be leaps and bounds ahead of where the hockey team is. I'll let some former players speak to that since they have a much better idea.

16 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Can definitely tell there are a few huge Bernie Sanders supporters from this thread! ;)

The hockey program is where it is because of the largest gift to an athletic department at NCAA history (at the time), which was mainly for the hockey team but was set up to benefit the entire athletic department and has apparently started to stray further and further from that. I mean, what does that make them in your eyes? They are at the top because of what someone else did, they didn't earn the REA through their own work (ticket revenues).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Honest question. I thought the $3M for hockey locker room reno came from money held back by REA for building improvements which in turn would have decreased money back to UND over the years.  Any truth there?

In 2014, the Engelstad Foundation made a donation to REA in the amount of $3.26 million.  You can draw your own conclusion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Have you seen the football locker rooms and meeting rooms?

24 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

??

Disagree. Recruiting is a huge part of winning, man.

NDSU's facilities are very nice within FargoDome; completely cater towards their football program.

Does the Alerus need a remodel and have they ever remodeled it since 2001? Recruiting is a huge part of winning but does having the best practice field part of that equation? I would think coaching is the biggest and that goes to your point of salaries. They need to be increased to keep good assistants and or head coaches. 

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't know the breakdown, however yes, a large majority came from private donations, including the Engelstads. However there were at least some REA resources  used for some portions of it in whatever capacity. The point was that the argument that things like locker room doesn't matter help or matter for recruiting for one team but is so important another needs to spend a significant amount of money on it doesn't hold water.

Also, I think you're underestimating how much the UND alumni football player endowment is and how much they raise annually to contribute to the athletic department. If you were to take Mr. Engelstad out of the equation (an obvious game changer), I think the football team alumni would be leaps and bounds ahead of where the hockey team is. I'll let some former players speak to that since they have a much better idea.

The hockey program is where it is because of the largest gift to an athletic department at NCAA history (at the time), which was mainly for the hockey team but was set up to benefit the entire athletic department and has apparently started to stray further and further from that. I mean, what does that make them in your eyes? They are at the top because of what someone else did, they didn't earn the REA through their own work (ticket revenues).

So where is this big pot money from the FB endowment that you speak of and how is it being used to benefit the FB program? Obviously with all the complaining about what the FB program doesn't have those dollars aren't being reinvested in the FB program. Is it helping the BB programs?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, lawkota said:

In 2014, the Engelstad Foundation made a donation to REA in the amount of $3.26 million.  You can draw your own conclusion.

And the Engelstad Foundation gets it's money from operating the REA and ticket revenue from other sports on campus. 

So saying the money came from a private donor might be technically true, but in name only. 

1 minute ago, sprig said:

If all else fails in the Kennedy/McGarry debate here, the anti-hockey people just attack the hockey program, it's coaches, players, and fans. I like all the sports, and can't believe there are fans of any one UND sport that are willing to attack the others here in this board. What the hell is wrong with you so called UND fans.

Well put. 

20 minutes ago, lawkota said:

So the upgrades didn't come from the REA general fund and did come from private donations. good to know.

3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

And the Engelstad Foundation gets it's money from operating the REA and ticket revenue from other sports on campus. 

So saying the money came from a private donor might be technically true, but in name only. 

No. The Engelstad Family Foundation is Ralph's private wealth.

Don't confound that with REA and the other entities created to operate the arena. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, lawkota said:

The Engelstad Foundation gets no contributions from REA, no ticket revenue.  Other than 2 common board members, it has no connection with REA.  It was funded from Ralph and his estate.  It has assets of $790 million for crying out loud.  It could buy REA 10X over.

Honestly where did this totally baseless rumor come from?

People don't take the time to learn and understand the details. 

7 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

really? I am pretty sure you are mistaken.

17 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'd be willing to guess many of the "anti-hockey" people actually hold season tickets to and support the hockey program. However pointing out the disparities in how programs are viewed and supported is done to try to show that just because things are running smoothly with the hockey team (mainly because of some very gracious support from an outside donor) does not mean that programs or the overall relationship with the REA is operating in the best interest of UND or its athletic department (which again, is the mission of the RE Arena and basis for its non-profit status). 

With friends like that who needs enemies................................................

55 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No. The Engelstad Family Foundation is Ralph's private wealth.

Don't confound that with REA and the other entities created to operate the arena. 

Thanks. I didn’t realize that you were referencing the Engelstad FF vs. the REA foundation. 

I still thought I heard that a chunk of the locker room updates came from REA holdbacks. Maybe not true