Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
jdub27

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

Recommended Posts

This is gonna end badly for UND, millionaires never lose, UND may win the battle and even the media war but in the end those who hold the purse strings can just take their money bags and go home.

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

This is gonna end badly for UND, millionaires never lose, UND may win the battle and even the media war but in the end those who hold the purse strings can just take their money bags and go home.

MISS McGarry is going to do this anyway. She has said she doesn't care about UND like her late father did. She went out of her way to point out that her dad was an alumnus of UND, but no one else in the family is. What makes you think she'll give us more money in the future?

Let's tell MISS McGarry to take her pompous, arrogant, entitled attitude back to Vegas and focus on potential donors who actually care about this place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

This is gonna end badly for UND, millionaires never lose, UND may win the battle and even the media war but in the end those who hold the purse strings can just take their money bags and go home.

 

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

MISS McGarry is going to do this anyway. She has said she doesn't care about UND like her late father did. She went out of her way to point out that her dad was an alumnus of UND, but no one else in the family is. What makes you think she'll give us more money in the future?

Let's tell MISS McGarry to take her pompous, arrogant, entitled attitude back to Vegas and focus on potential donors who actually care about this place.

There's lots of potential truth in the first post.

Ralph passed away in 2002........how many dollars has the Foundation given UND since he died??

"Going to do this anyway"? Would have thought if that was her mindset it would have happened sometime shortly after her father was gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

There's lots of potential truth in the first post.

Ralph passed away in 2002........how many dollars has the Foundation given UND since he died??

"Going to do this anyway"? Would have thought if that was her mindset it would have happened sometime shortly after her father was gone.

She has stated in public that she doesn't care about UND all that much. She is not a strong candidate for giving in the future. So we should stop catering hand and foot to her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

She has stated in public that she doesn't care about UND all that much. She is not a strong candidate for giving in the future. So we should stop catering hand and foot to her.

But yet she gave how much to UND from 2003 through today's date? 

Strong candidate? Depends on how her and Kennedy resolve this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

As for what is given back to UND, they only gets whatever is determined to be "leftover" at the end of the year from all sources of cash flow and that number is a very highly subjective number, which I'm assuming is decided by the REA Arena BoD. 

I serve on the board of an organization that files Form 990.

Your assessment is correct for at least my case: We, as a board, review revenues and determine how much "excess revenue" is returned and how much is retained. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

But yet she gave how much to UND from 2003 through today's date? 

Strong candidate? Depends on how her and Kennedy resolve this. 

Didn't her contributions run through 2011 and stopped after that?

Once donors start implementing extortion, it is time to cut them loose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure who posted it but I believe I read here somewhere the Engelstad Family Foundation finished out their $20 million gift ($2 million per for 10 years) a while back and has donated less than the cost of a new car since. Someone please verify. 

EDIT: Guess who found the Form 990 for 2016 for the Engelstad Family Trust ... ;)

Engelstad Family Foundation    EIN: 80-6008137
http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990pf_pdf_archive/806/806008137/806008137_201612_990PF.pdf 

A cursory reviews show they gave the UND Foundation $20,000 in 2016.
They gave $37,500 to UNLV club hockey and the UNLV Foundation $3,090,000. 

They gave $17,500 to Ralph Engelstad Arena? It's in there. 

 

I'm really learning to love Form 990s. ;)  <--- That said, methinks I may have de facto given @RobPort a new toy. :blink:

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Let's tell MISS McGarry to take her pompous, arrogant, entitled attitude back to Vegas and focus on potential donors who actually care about this place.

 

That's a horrible take, her family has given UND 110 million plus. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davlun said:

Party or parties? He was a collector and he isn't the only collector to have something from history.  Doesn't make him a Nazi as you are insinuating.  

It’s common knowledge. People look the other way because the arena is nice and the team wins.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Goon said:

That's a horrible take, her family has given UND 110 million plus. 

So that means she gets to run UND from Vegas through her REA employees? And that gives them a license to treat UND like a red-headed stepchild whenever they want? Sorry, that is not acceptable.

REA was a magnificent gift to UND. But it is a double-edged sword as well. Since 2001, everything has revolved around what REA wants. Heck, I am surprised they didn't try to quash the move to Division I because it would take attention away from hockey. An athletic department, much less a University, cannot operate successfully like that.

I saw this coming years ago, but was shouted down and told to shut up when I said anything. What say everyone now?

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So that means she gets to run UND from Vegas through her REA employees? And that gives them a license to treat UND like a red-headed stepchild whenever they want? Sorry, that is not acceptable.

REA was a magnificent gift to UND. But it is a double-edged sword as well. Since 2001, everything has revolved around what REA wants. Heck, I am surprised they didn't try to quash the move to Division I because it would take attention away from hockey. An athletic department much less a University, cannot operate successfully like that.

I saw this coming years ago, but was shouted down and told to shut up when I said anything. What say everyone now?

Are you saying und would be better off without the Ralph?  I dont think anyone is going to agree with you there....

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So that means she gets to run UND from Vegas through her REA employees? And that gives them a license to treat UND like a red-headed stepchild whenever they want? Sorry, that is not acceptable.

REA was a magnificent gift to UND. But it is a double-edged sword as well. Since 2001, everything has revolved around what REA wants. Heck, I am surprised they didn't try to quash the move to Division I because it would take attention away from hockey. An athletic department much less a University, cannot operate successfully like that.

I saw this coming years ago, but was shouted down and told to shut up when I said anything. What say everyone now?

Wow, we're kind of drinking from the well of bitterness today. WIthout the Ralph, I think it would've been tough for UND to remain competitive. Without the Ralph, you probably don't have the high profile type players that we have had under Hak and Berry. Honestly, I hope that both sides can work things out and attempt to repair a relationship. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

Are you saying und would be better off without the Ralph?  I dont think anyone is going to agree with you there....

That is a straw man argument. Nobody is going to make that claim, much less myself. UND and Grand Forks has benefited greatly from REA and BESC. But these buildings were built to serve the interests of UND, not the other way around. And that is something that MISS McGarry doesn't seem to understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, petey23 said:

I am not saying that REA shouldn't work with UND on what logos go where............but this might be a case of saving UND from themselves. If someone with photo shop skills wants to mock up a version with the Logo in the middle please go ahead.

One possible addition would be having the "Fighting Hawks" and Logo on the sidelines and then renaming the end with the student section as either "The Cast" or preferably "The Kettle" but maybe instead of that, signage could be added behind the student section. 

This is a great look and  if you told me we were refinishing the floor, this is what I imagine it should look like.

UND_0.gif?itok=rxAz7klS

This is a nice clean classic look. The name is prominent and truth be told if UND wants to sell merchandise and promote the brand it has to be more "Fighting Hawks", "Hawks", "UND", and "North Dakota" and due to our unfortunate decision making, far less logo. REA might be doing us a favor as far as optics go. Wouldn't be the first time a private enterprise knew better than a government entity.

01f598a296d0578921fcf556893e5344.jpg

USD managed to make both the logo and words work, UND would have just Hawks at the bottom, as Fighting Hawks wouldn’t look right. But as for the pic of the Betty you posted I must admit it does look pretty good. Even though I would like to see a logo in the middle, the end court name and logo looks good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Goon said:

Wow, we're kind of drinking from the well of bitterness today. WIthout the Ralph, I think it would've been tough for UND to remain competitive. Without the Ralph, you probably don't have the high profile type players that we have had under Hak and Berry. Honestly, I hope that both sides can work things out and attempt to repair a relationship. 

I am simply stating facts. Facts that people didn't want to talk about for years until the current kerfuffle sprung up last week. No gift is ever 100% positive, there are always some negatives. Ignoring those negatives is foolish and pure wishful thinking. If UND isn't getting a fair shake from the four (?) different boards that govern REA, then it needs to be addressed. We finally have a strong President that won't roll over every time he is ordered to.

Kennedy is doing his job as President of UND. You cannot demand a strong leader, then complain when he does his job. Make up your mind.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So for UND to become more successful in all avenues and (basically) become more financially stable they should kick McGarry and the Foundation to the curb ASAP. Then what would also help would be to scrub all physical reminders and artifacts of the Fighting Sioux history from UND, aka the Confederate history cleansing in this country, because that would make all our athletic teams more successful because they wouldn't be under the bondage of the lingering Fighting Sioux backdrop.......this would then increase attendance thus improving ticket revenue, concessions revenue and apparel revenue and UND's coffers will then be overflowing!

Problems solved.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it is the arena's name, but they're giving up prime advertising space on the floor to put on the arena name*?  Ohhhh-kaaaay. 

 

*Betty Engelstad Sioux Center <-- say the magic word 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

Or maybe UND could just select the floor design it prefers for The Betty and get a little better distribution of revenue generated from REA?  Either or I guess.

I have no problem with that scenario either.

Paging President Kennedy...................................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

01f598a296d0578921fcf556893e5344.jpg

USD managed to make both the logo and words work, UND would have just Hawks at the bottom, as Fighting Hawks wouldn’t look right. But as for the pic of the Betty you posted I must admit it does look pretty good. Even though I would like to see a logo in the middle, the end court name and logo looks good. 

That looks terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I agree, not going to lose sleep over it.  But, in this case it's only being used because REA won't incorporate the new logo.  If the new logo was "acceptable" by KM standards then it would be there, IMO.  
 

Truth be told the REA wanted to go with Nodaks well before formation of the nickname committee.  If REA was given their way, we would have Nodaks as our unique name and a better logo than what we ended up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Truth be told the REA wanted to go with Nodaks well before formation of the nickname committee.  If REA was given their way, we would have Nodaks as our unique name and a better logo than what we ended up with.

Source? 

PS - Isn't Nodak dangerously close to the NCAA "RENO*" rule that got us here? 
PPS - What the heck would the logo be ... 

PPPS - If you're correct, why didn't REA come riding in with the white hat on the white horse with a fabulous nickname and logo and save us all from this? 

 

*No nicknames based on Race, Ethnicity, or National Origin (RENO) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×