SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Man your logins are just seething with hate today.   I feel it, it warms me.

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Do you really think FS4L has multiple logins, or is that just a way to diss him?  

For the record, I do NOT have "multiple logins". I am NOT DaveK. I have no aliases that I use to pretend to be someone else. What you see is what you get from this UND supporter.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, supersioux said:

What’s the logo we have at our football game facility? 

Wonder if the president is going to demand a new logo there too!

Alerus already made some significant moves.
Yes, the turf remains to be resolved. I'd expect that to happen with the MVFC transition in 2020. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4324402-und-ramping-branding-alerus-center 

Comparing changing the logo on turf (that is sewn in, not painted on) is not an apt comparison to ice (changed out every year) or basketball/volleyball courts (changed out every few years in not more often and currently scheduled to be replaced this year). Especially when the Alerus Center has made significant strides in trying to incorporate the logo, including a large display of it on the outside. How about this: if the REA takes down the Brien logo and puts up the FH logo, people can't complain about what is or isn't the ice or court. Then we have a closer comparison to the situation with the Alerus Center. 

What are the Ralph and the Betty worth without our teams? We can’t have one “booster” calling the shots for our university. This isn’t healthy, they couldn’t  care less about the welfare of UND. We need to cut ties with them as soon as possible. We have other people who actually want what’s good for UND who have money.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Well, Denver doesn't have a logo and a mascot. They also blocked Denver Metro from changing their name to Denver State University, because people would get confused somehow.

db.jpg

This was their mascot through 2017. He might get fased out due to a no mask policy on campus.

To me at least, everything is becoming clearer and clearer. The article that transpired today is likely one part of "the feud", but it doesn't paint McGarry in the best light. Others have commented on this, but it's as simple as a group (not only Kennedy) wanting what they feel is best for UND and the athletic department (branding, ect) and McGarry shutting it down. What really surprises me is (1) Why she'd care (2) all emails in Millers article were to the Engelstad Family Foundation. That surprises me (or I guess really doesn't), but shows that McGarry is the one that calls all the shots. 

I'm really stuck on the why 'd she care what the logo was in the center of the Betty. 

The problem for Kennedy is he doesn't have any chips and McGarry has them all. It doesn't matter how unreasonable she's being, he has to figure out a way to smooth it over. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

db.jpg

This was their mascot through 2017. He might get fased out due to a no mask policy on campus.

Denver U has a logo, but their few fans hate it.  The Boone mascot was changed by DU admin as its too male, white and non inclusive, so they changed it to a bird.

McGarry caught in a little fib via the Herald:

"(Kennedy) refused to have a meeting with me," she said to the Herald on May 9. "I said let's meet anytime in April or May, I'm open—he said, 'I'm not—not available.'"

Emails show a Kennedy assistant offering meeting dates April 12-13, 19-24 and May 1.

McGarry's representative responded that McGarry would be out of town during the dates suggested.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, AJS said:

To me at least, everything is becoming clearer and clearer. The article that transpired today is likely one part of "the feud", but it doesn't paint McGarry in the best light. Others have commented on this, but it's as simple as a group (not only Kennedy) wanting what they feel is best for UND and the athletic department (branding, ect) and McGarry shutting it down. What really surprises me is (1) Why she'd care (2) all emails in Millers article were to the Engelstad Family Foundation. That surprises me (or I guess really doesn't), but shows that McGarry is the one that calls all the shots. 

I'm really stuck on the why 'd she care what the logo was in the center of the Betty. 

The problem for Kennedy is he doesn't have any chips and McGarry has them all. It doesn't matter how unreasonable she's being, he has to figure out a way to smooth it over. 

Maybe her fuhrer told her never to allow a new mascot logo at center/court ice in his bunker?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

38 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

db.jpg

The school doesn’t recognize Boone and from what has come out the Denver fan base he isn’t allowed at games. Remember that mascot search that failed a couple years ago?

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

What are the Ralph and the Betty worth without our teams? We can’t have one “booster” calling the shots for our university. This isn’t healthy, they couldn’t  care less about the welfare of UND. We need to cut ties with them as soon as possible. We have other people who actually want what’s good for UND who have money.

That what it looks like she’s doing at UNLV. 

I don't know that anyone cares about this or not, but:  UND's current student athletes and incoming athletes, and recruits that you all see tweeting the "love" they just got from the coaches in Memes etc......ALL Identify as Fighting Hawks.  Current student athletes do not know anything different and in this generation, branding and gear and facilities are all important.  They want to walk into a venue and see Their logo, their mascot...... who they are - All over it.  They proudly wear Fighting Hawk gear because they are proud to play for the University of North Dakota.   Many know about the Fighting Sioux in general, but not on a personal level.  in 10 years you will have a generation of Alum who will be telling their kids about playing for or going to Fighting Hawk games......Playoff games, NCAA appearances, Conf Championships.  It could be done for no other reason than that.  

Also, from what I have seen on here and other places, I would expect the Alerus Center will have Fighting Hawks Logos on the turf the next time it is changed. I don't think there will be any disputes.   This is a natural time to do it for basketball because the court is being redone.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Norhsidepride said:

I don't know that anyone cares about this or not, but:  UND's current student athletes and incoming athletes, and recruits that you all see tweeting the "love" they just got from the coaches in Memes etc......ALL Identify as Fighting Hawks.  Current student athletes do not know anything different and in this generation, branding and gear and facilities are all important.  They want to walk into a venue and see Their logo, their mascot...... who they are - All over it.  They proudly wear Fighting Hawk gear because they are proud to play for the University of North Dakota.   Many know about the Fighting Sioux in general, but not on a personal level.  in 10 years you will have a generation of Alum who will be telling their kids about playing for or going to Fighting Hawk games......Playoff games, NCAA appearances, Conf Championships.  It could be done for no other reason than that.  

Also, from what I have seen on here and other places, I would expect the Alerus Center will have Fighting Hawks Logos on the turf the next time it is changed. I don't think there will be any disputes.   This is a natural time to do it for basketball because the court is being redone.

Like it or not, this is in FACT,  not true.

ALL sides of the argument agree in this point.

Arguing about who does and who doesn't has taken up pages but the legacy obviously means something more to a program of certain distinction.

Yes, some student athletes who were in junior high or middle school the last time UND was known as the Fighting Sioux somehow have an emotional attachment to an inanimate deity. And yet that team with a "certain distinction" couldn't hang a green banner while proudly wearing the most recent (and treasured) version of that logo that means so much to them. 

46 minutes ago, Norhsidepride said:

Unfortunately, the hockey players and hockey-only crowd disagree, as we've already seen in the first response to your post. And unfortunately again, hockey controls most of the UND athletic department. 

• Like 1

I don't get the hypocrisy on so many of these posts. For over a decade every sport team except hockey excluded our logo and no one said boo. Now all of sudden, people who claim to be for "unifying the school" are throwing a fit because the Betty court will have the logo on the ends of the court instead of the center. The logo is still there! If you're going to be mad about something, be mad about something logical. Like the fact they named it the Betty SIOUX Center...

As for the welfare of student athletes, please show me any kind of hard data that their performance is being negatively effected because the logo is under the hoop instead of center court. I hope their mental resiliency is stronger than that.

Finally the most ridiculous claim is made by Kennedy himself. Is there really anyone one this forum who believes am NDSU student will somehow be tricked into thinking they are in Fargo because "North Dakota" is written on the center court despite walking over the Hawk logo at the ends of the courts? Does anyone really think that the athletes from either UND or NDSU are really so weak minded or are they literally blind? If so, then both schools need to recruit smarter athletes. 

1 minute ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

For over a decade every sport team except hockey excluded our logo and no one said boo.

No, they didn't. Football had it on their jersey and there was a banner in the alerus. Basketball had it on their shorts.

Also, the school didn't lack a unified identity prior to 2012.

• Upvote 2