SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

No idea what actually flows to the foundation from REA inc and I doubt REA inc sees any alerus concessions and such, but being generous (and rounding for simple math) we'd be talking 5 games * $20 per ticket * 9,000 tickets = $900,000 * 52% = $468,000 going to REA.

I knew the numbers but we squabbling over a few hundred thousand in FB revenue yearly vs. losing potentially millions from a donor? I get both sides of the argument but for the sake of Warren Buffet Kennedy needs to push a pencil here. 

This is an oversimplification but kind of make one go..."hmmmmmmmmmmm".

The FB program is a long ways away from being a cash cow for UND.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I knew the numbers but we squabbling over a few hundred thousand in FB revenue yearly vs. losing potentially millions from a donor? I get both sides of the argument but for the sake of Warren Buffet Kennedy needs to push a pencil here. 

The FB take is what we are squabbling about on this board, but who really knows what all Kennedy and McGarry are scrapping about.  

7 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

The FB take is what we are squabbling about on this board, but who really knows what all Kennedy and McGarry are scrapping about.  

No argument with that.....but if the numbers extrapolated out over years for what Kennedy is pushing for vs losing the Foundation altogether don't make sense.......but he is a businessman.

Maybe he's asking for UND to have total control over everything the Foundation is associated with plus wanting a minimum of $10M from them a year? 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I mean, over 30 years, we are talking millions of dollars, which would go a long way. Not saying it's more than what UND maybe might possibly get in the future from the Engelstad's but KEM made it clear she has no ties to the school so there are no guarantees. And again, the contract is reviewed and renewed annually. With the current budget situation and UND using the REA less, I'm not sure why people think Kennedy is in the wrong for wanting to renegotiate it, especially when he said he was going to do exactly that.

• Upvote 1

Isn't interesting that when the agreements were signed that the Athletic Director at the time was a former football coach at UND.  In addition that VP of Finance was on the REA Board of Directors as a voting member and gave approval to setup.  Plus the President and State Board of Higher Education probably had to sign off on the agreement.  

7 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I think you're combining too many things to form a false thought.  Nobody complained before because nobody knew about it.  Now it's coming to light.

Next, I have not seen anybody saying football is bad because of the contract.  They are asking why the REA would take so much football revenue.  

But now all of a sudden those that knew nothing are saying this is what is holding the other sports down.  No, what is holding other sports down is the excuses, which comes down to culture.

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I mean, over 30 years, we are talking millions of dollars, which would go a long way. Not saying it's more than what UND maybe might possibly get in the future from the Engelstad's but KEM made it clear she has no ties to the school so there are no guarantees. And again, the contract is reviewed and renewed annually. With the current budget situation and UND using the REA less, I'm not sure why people think Kennedy is in the wrong for wanting to renegotiate it, especially when he said he was going to do exactly that.

I don’t think most of us think he is wrong, just the poor way in which he has gone about it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tnt said:

But now all of a sudden those that knew nothing are saying this is what is holding the other sports down.  No, what is holding other sports down is the excuses, which comes down to culture.

Once again, who (besides maybe one person) is saying it's holding down other sports?  Wth

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Once again, who (besides maybe one person) is saying it's holding down other sports?  Wth

Several people have expressed that other sports have been hurt by this bad deal.  Look back on the thread.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I don’t think most of us think he is wrong, just the poor way in which he has gone about it.

According to Ms. McGarry’s account. 

Sorry, the UNLV Medical school situation pushed me to a bias in the situation, right, wrong, or indifferent. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

According to Ms. McGarry’s account. 

Sorry, the UNLV Medical school situation pushed me to a bias in the situation, right, wrong, or indifferent. 

I saw her interview about the UNVL medical school.

2 hours ago, montanakid said:

Isn't interesting that when the agreements were signed that the Athletic Director at the time was a former football coach at UND.  In addition that VP of Finance was on the REA Board of Directors as a voting member and gave approval to setup.  Plus the President and State Board of Higher Education probably had to sign off on the agreement.  

Roger Thomas was never a brainiac for finances.

Alice Brekke may have signed off originally, but Kupchella and Kelley sure didn’t push to change it later when the Betty was built for a new DI facility.

11 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So is the contract done in 2030 or is it a year by year? By the way this was all brought up sounds like it’s a long term that Kennedy wants to either end or renegotiate.

A lot can change in 12 years.  UND may end up playing over on the East Side in some tiny arena if they aren't careful...