SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Brad Berry thanked her for her help in his new contract.

Did Kennedy not only threaten to sue and pull the basketball teams out, but also not give Berry any raises?

This arguably was Bill Chaves' first big act as AD. MRK signed off on it, meaning he approved the raise that was given. 

Much is being made of Bubs' quote in the news release, as there is no additional context or clues in the rest of the release to why the Engelstad reference was included. The media did not key on this, either, at the follow up press availability with Chaves and Bubs. Thus, it's still a bit of a mystery with lots of room for conjecture.

FWIW, this was MRK's quote in the same release:

“Coach Berry is the kind of quality individual that any university or organization would want associated with its name,” said Kennedy. “He personifies what it means to be a true leader in action through discipline, hard work and professionalism. He instills those same characteristics in the student-athletes whose conduct in competition, the classroom and the community are a tremendous point of pride for UND and the state of North Dakota. 

“For those reasons, I am thrilled that Coach Berry has agreed to remain the head hockey coach of our Fighting Hawks.”    

I think MRK was good with it.

I would like to extend a sincere ‘thank you’ to UND President Mark Kennedy and athletics director Bill Chaves, as well as Kris Engelstad McGarry and the entire Englestad family for their continued and loyal support of the program,” Berry said in a statement.

22 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

So aren't the Engelstad Foundation and REA Board/Foundation 2 separate things? 

Oh, my bad. I could not find anything on the REA Board whatsoever.

My point is that I'm guessing the board selects the board members, but I could be wrong.

Or maybe even KEM or the foundation board...

I guess it depends on which entity you want to look at (probably the first one) but these are the most recent board members/officers listed.

UND Arena Services, Inc - Managing and providing stewardship and oversight services with respect to the ownership, operation and maintenance of athletic facilities for the benefit of the Unviersity of North Dakota Athletic Department, and engaging in any other charitable, educations, or scientific activity as permitted by IRC Section 501 (C)(3)

• Jeff Cooper, President
  • Aron Anderson, Vice President
  • Kris McGarry, Secretary/Treasurer
  • Earl Strinder, Director
  • Greg Gerloff, Director
  • Robert Peabody, Director
  • Alice Brekke, Director
  • Michael Bergeron, CFO

UND Sports Facilities, Inc - To operate and maintain a multipurpose sports and entertainment arena in Grand Forks, ND, primarily used for University of North Dakota athletics and activities 

• Earl Strinden, President
  • Aron Anderson, Secretary/Treasurer
  • Alice Brekke, Vice President
  • Jody Hodgson, General Manager
  • Michael Bergeron, CFO

RE Arena Inc - To manage a sports arena for the benefit of UND Sports Facilities, Inc

• Jody Hodgson, President
  • Kris McGarry, Vice President
  • Jeffrey Cooper, Treasurer
  • Aron Anderson, Director
  • Earl Strinden, Secretary
  • Michael Bergeron, CFO
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I guess it depends on which entity you want to look at (but probably the first one)....

UND Arena Services, Inc - Managing and providing stewardship and oversight services with respect to the ownership, operation and maintenance of athletic facilities for the benefit of the Unviersity of North Dakota Athletic Department, and engaging in any other charitable, educations, or scientific activity as permitted by IRC Section 501 (C)(3)

• Jeff Cooper, President
  • Aron Anderson, Vice President
  • Kris McGarry, Secretary/Treasurer
  • Earl Strinder, Director
  • Greg Gerloff, Director
  • Robert Peabody, Director
  • Alice Brekke, Director
  • Michael Bergeron, CFO

UND Sports Facilities, Inc - To operate and maintain a multipurpose sports and entertainment arena in Grand Forks, ND, primarily used for University of North Dakota athletics and activities 

• Earl Strinden, President
  • Aron Anderson, Secretary/Treasurer
  • Alice Brekke, Vice President
  • Jody Hodgson, General Manager
  • Michael Bergeron, CFO

RE Arena Inc - To manage a sports arena for the benefit of UND Sports Facilities, Inc

• Jody Hodgson, President
  • Kris McGarry, Vice President
  • Jeffrey Cooper, Treasurer
  • Aron Anderson, Director
  • Earl Strinden, Secretary
  • Michael Bergeron, CFO

And who picked those board members? What qualifications, beyond her maiden name, does McGarry have to be on those boards? 

Also should point out that the usage agreement is supposed to be updated yearly on the revenue split, however it has been approved as-is for a significant period of time with no changes (if not since inception). I guess Kennedy asking for an update to that is causing the issues.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

And who picked those board members? What qualifications, beyond her maiden name, does McGarry have to be on those boards

Valid question but for one she holds the pen..............................................

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Typically, I would agree with you. But the contrast of hockey to football at UND is different than most places. I'm not saying it isn't possible to make Football bigger than hockey, but it is highly unlikely give the history and tradition of the hockey program.

Now if you know me at all from my posts, I absolutely love UND football and would love nothing more than to see it boom into something huge. But sheer will is not enough for that to happen. First, and absolutely most important, the football team needs to start winning more (something the hockey team does consistently, with the exception of this year) that draws and retains fans, and generates incomes to reinvest into athletics. Now NDSU has made that more difficult for us with there success, it is just harder to win the recruiting battles (maybe we should have gone D1 when they did; different discussion for a different place). This transition won't happen overnight, and simply reallocating funds to the program will not generate wins. There has to be additional funds for the program sure, but the school isn't going to short the most consistent athletic program that they have either; the one that does perform on the national stage, pumps out NHL players, and gets  some national publicity (yes, I understand that in the big picture it is a niche sport; but it also needs to be recognized that we are not a Big 10 school).

Could UND put all the pieces in place to become an NDSU in football? sure, but it will still be FCS; still something to strive for, but should not take away from your currently successful program to do so. (I'm not cashing in my Google stock to invest it all in a new start up, hoping for the same return; maybe I hedge some funds, but you can diversify without overly risking your cash cow).

As for Basketball, this is even tougher. Growing and sustaining this fan base is completely dependent on consistent winning seasons, recruiting better players (more Hookers/Crandalls/ and hopefully Bijiek) who can draw people to watch. To make basketball a big time sport at UND, they would need to make the NCAA tourney at least once every few years, and still be competitive in years that they miss it; not easy to do in a 1 bid league. Look at NDSU a few years ago, when they had a nice string of appearances, and some big wins. Even that didn't vault their program much.

Kind of a catch 22, you need fans to generate money, you need money to grow programs, you need wins to generate fans. Football needs to string together some success and I certainly hope they do it starting this year. Get into the playoffs and make a run. That means, win a few games that you aren't expected to win.

Yes, UND needs to continue to grow Football, and with increases in attendance they have been on the right track. But the success of football (and basketball for that matter) should be independent (for the most part) from hockey. Can you imagine what would happen if Villanova basketball wasn't getting their due funds, because the school wanted to throw some of that money towards FCS football? Like I said, I am all for growing Football in Basketball; I enjoy watching both, but you're talking about a smaller market school with limited funds (far different from your Big Ten teams). Funds are limited for the school, and for the fans as well. People have limited time, so you can't have the same fan base fully supporting hockey, basketball and football and you also can't tell people which sport they should support. People support hockey because it has sustained success for a long time, and planted roots into the community. Football can do the same, and did very will with this at the D2 level. What you need is more people in general, to hopefully create a football fan base, a hockey fan base, and a basketball fan base .... with some (but not total) overlap between the groups.

As for cutting programs, what were they supposed to do? If you run out of money, how do you sustain that many opportunities? I hate that UND had to cut programs, but they did have to do it. You want more money for football, but you don't want them to free up more funds? Its contradicts itself a bit. Limited funds ... you have to do something. I understand your sentiment of wanting football to be the top dog, but it comes across as though you would rather punish a different program for their success because it isn't the program you prefer.

Just my thoughts .....

Long post but very well said. I think this is what everyone needs to read. Yes UND needs to grow Football and BB but NOT as the expense of the hockey program. Now I do believe that UND should be getting more of take than they currently are, if that means everything stays the same for the hockey program AND we can stick more money into Football and BB, great! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Maybe true.  But maybe she is also highlighting those negotiation issues to deflect from the real issue of the contracts.  Has she ever addressed those issues, ya know, the one's that are actually the problem? 

It's like a parent telling their kid: "don't listen to how the coach is saying it, listen to what he is saying".  

What is Kennedy really saying?

Contracts!  Contracts!  Which means someone signed them.  Did someone not look over these contracts knowing Ralph had a soft spot for the hockey program?  Why, when everyone has enjoyed the Arena for 17 years is this all of a sudden a bad thing?   Who is responsible for the Ray Richards land fiasco?   If I had a ton of money to give to the University after seeing that scenario and this one play out, there is no way I trust the University to distribute my gift per my wishes.  A lot of potential smaller gift givers see this and have second thoughts.

I think that all these things are coming about because UND wants to change the game late in the 3rd period, deals notwithstanding.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, tnt said:

Contracts!  Contracts!  Which means someone signed them.  Did someone not look over these contracts knowing Ralph had a soft spot for the hockey program?  Why, when everyone has enjoyed the Arena for 17 years is this all of a sudden a bad thing?   Who is responsible for the Ray Richards land fiasco?   If I had a ton of money to give to the University after seeing that scenario and this one play out, there is no way I trust the University to distribute my gift per my wishes.  A lot of potential smaller gift givers see this and have second thoughts.

I think that all these things are coming about because UND wants to change the game late in the 3rd period, deals notwithstanding.

It's almost like a few things have changed in the last 17 years. Huh

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

You have zero dam clue what the REA actually has meant and will mean for the future of Grand Forks. But hey lets shuck off the best thing that GF has for economic generation and put all your hopes on the economic impact of those 5 dates a year for football.   God damn thats stupid.

The REA is an important part of the GF and regional economy and an important part of the University and community culture and cultural events.  It has no where near the economic impact of the University of North Dakota on the city, region or state.  This constant crap about comparing which  is more important when it comes to one sport vs the other is what is stupid. The dumbass whining about the old logo that is long gone or why we don't like the logo is just as stupid.  Who gives a rats behind about the old/new name or logo?  It isn't that important. 

On the other hand,  not being able to get along with our supporters and donors is a big red flag.  There are those affiliated with the REA who at times don't always have the best interest of the University in mind, but Kennedy should have enough political savvy to deal with those folks and work with the REA administrators and donors without threats. Not having been there, I am not sure I would know enough to place anymore blame than that on Kennedy yet.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The rest of campus has had to endure severe budget cuts due to the 15%+ cut from the state. Has the REA done anything to tighten its belt the past couple years? 

A1%raise for all university employees would cost 2.16 million per year according to figures I received from the state office of budget.

What do you think all university employees thought when the hockey coach receives $100,000 per year raise and the rest of the employees can’t even receive a 1% raise.

I am curious to find out what the REA takes after all the operating costs are paid. One could say that this gift from Engelstad, as awesome as it is, was more like a loan and that through the revenue sharing UND and the GF community would pay that back through the revenue sharing.  

49 minutes ago, Kab said:

A1%raise for all university employees would cost 2.16 million per year according to figures I received from the state office of budget.

What do you think all university employees thought when the hockey coach receives $100,000 per year raise and the rest of the employees can’t even receive a 1% raise.

I am a UND employee and we have not gotten a raise in two years. I am not upset that Berry got a raise it was a new contract and he isn’t getting 100k raise every year. I say good for him. Overall, no raises for UND employees is an absolute morale killer though but that is not Berry’s fault. At this point it is common knowledge that people just want to keep their jobs and will overlook no raises for now. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Kab said:

"I should've been a hockey coach instead of an office administer?"

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Contracts!  Contracts!  Which means someone signed them.  Did someone not look over these contracts knowing Ralph had a soft spot for the hockey program? 

It's almost like the revenue split contract is reviewed and then renewed every year....it just hasn't changed for a for a while and now it's being brought up. Oh wait, that's exactly what is happening. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, tnt said:

The obvious answer is that we are being forced to rely less on state funding due to budget cuts the last few years. We can no longer afford to be in an agreement that is as one sided as it is. Extra revenues are needed and this contract would solve a lot of long term issues.

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It's almost like the revenue split contract is reviewed and then renewed every year....it just hasn't changed for a for a while and now it's being brought up. Oh wait, that's exactly what is happening. 

Plus, was UND D2 when the contract was written?  Budget changed since then I believe.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Apparently in the rush to get the donation a lot of things were overlooked and I'm sure Kupchella wanted to keep Ralph content.   The thing is, the contracts were signed to get the REA and no amount of litigation is going to change this.   All Kennedy is doing is alienating our biggest donor.   As bad as this deal is, we can't win by trying to change it now.   Seriously, if you were the Englestad's, would you let UND out of this deal?    I'd say you wouldn't.

1 minute ago, TRex said:

Apparently in the rush to get the donation a lot of things were overlooked and I'm sure Kupchella wanted to keep Ralph content.   The thing is, the contracts were signed to get the REA and no amount of litigation is going to change this.   All Kennedy is doing is alienating our biggest donor.   As bad as this deal is, we can't win by trying to change it now.   Seriously, if you were the Englestad's, would you let UND out of this deal?    I'd say you wouldn't.

Is the REA in existence for the benefit of UND athletics, or the Engelstad Foundation? 

• Like 2