SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

Just now, TheFlop said:

Good idea...........safe to say I should be hoping that Kennedy actually ordered there to be written documentation instead of the infamous consultant review of athletics that cost thousands of dollars but didn't result in any written documentation?

Thousands?  Hmmm?  It wasn't just athletics.  Every unit, division and college was encouraged to take advantage of the service that was provided to athletics. Athletics was one unit that requested it, and it's the only one that is ever talked about, because, shocker, the Herald only wrote about them. The Herald ignored all the other UND units that asked for the same review process, because, well, I guess those other divisions aren't sexy news. They were all done the same way, by design.

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

Thousands?  Hmmm?  It wasn't just athletics.  Every unit, division and college was encouraged to take advantage of the service that was provided to athletics. Athletics was one unit that requested it, and it's the only one that is ever talked about, because, shocker, the Herald only wrote about them. The Herald ignored all the other UND units that asked for the same review process, because, well, I guess those other divisions aren't sexy news. They were all done the same way, by design.

Being able to skirt FOIA requests was just a convenient by-product...

2 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I had not heard that before, so there is no documentation to any of the reviews for any of the other units???

Yikes

10 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Being able to skirt FOIA requests was just a convenient by-product...

IDK... makes for good theater and conspiracy theories.... but, no, actually, it was simply  to promote free discussion on topics at hand. People tend to clam up when everything is on the record, which makes this sort of exercise fruitless.

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I had not heard that before, so there is no documentation to any of the reviews for any of the other units???

Yikes

Happens all the time all over the country in both the private and public sectors. Nothing new to see here, folks.

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Still doesn't explain why she's calling the Herald, unprompted, for a sit down interview. If she could not care less about UND, why take the time to start what she knew was going to be a giant mess and drag everyone through the mud? If she doesn't care what anyone thinks, the easy answer is to just ignore Kennedy and quit giving money. This was set off for a reason.

I suppose time will tell.  I just think that something had to really get under her skin to trigger the response.  If UND was gonna release info showing the REA deal was lopsided towards REA a couple percentage points, I just don't see why she would react the way she did.  If it wasn't for her loyalty to her dad she would have stopped sending money to UND years ago.

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Yikes

Of course you didn't... you've only heard the manufactured narrative that makes for good outrage.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

IDK... makes for good theater and conspiracy theories.... but, no, actually, it was simply  to promote free discussion on topics at hand. People tend to clam up when everything is on the records, which makes this sort of exercise fruitless.

Also makes booting out people that may have dissenting views from you (i.e. not part of the GOBC.....not the GF hockey GOBC, but the other one) that much easier.

2 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Also makes booting out people that may have dissenting views from you (i.e. not part of the GOBC.....not the GF hockey GOBC, but the other one) that much easier.

These were not mandatory at all. That may be a misconception that's out there, as well.

7 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I suppose time will tell.  I just think that something had to really get under her skin to trigger the response.  If UND was gonna release info showing the REA deal was lopsided towards REA a couple percentage points, I just don't see why she would react the way she did.  If it wasn't for her loyalty to her dad she would have stopped sending money to UND years ago.

Sounds like they did, multiple years before Kennedy was hired, outside of anything that was pledged during to the Spirit campaign. On top of that, you take a look at the Foundation pulling their UNLV donation, you start to wonder what more there is to the story.

Regardless of her personal feelings, the mission of the REA is to support UND and its athletics and she sits on that board, so she has a duty to carry out that mission. 

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Sounds like they did, multiple years before Kennedy was hired, outside of anything that was pledged during to the Spirit campaign. On top of that, you take a look at the Foundation pulling their UNLV donation, you start to wonder what more there is to the story.

Regardless of her personal feelings, the mission of the REA is to support UND and its athletics and she sits on that board, so she has a duty to carry out that mission. 

https://philanthropynewsdigest.org/news/engelstad-family-foundation-rescinds-14-million-gift-to-unlv

Just saving everyone a few mouse clicks.   

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

There has to be a great reason, or there isn't..... and right now the overwhelming sentiment is that there is no good reason for Kennedy to pick this fight.

Threatening to sue anyone toward the beginning of any conversation will start a fight; let alone make that threat to your largest donor.  I've seen enough of this guy and I believe he's earned the reputation of being abrasive to existing and potential donors to the detriment of those trying to raise money for UND.

I say wake up and smell the coffee, UND needs to send him packing sooner than later.

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

You both had great questions, ones that I'd love answered.

All speculation on my part, but after reading others thoughts and some of the questions that were asked, my theory would be.

It's clear that Kennedy wanted to renegotiate, because he feels UND is getting the short end of the stick and they have been for along time. I'd bet that there's excess revenue that's not going into maintenance of the building that the REA Foundation is using for different philanthropic endeavors that have nothing to do with UND. Basically, each year, there's a sum of money that's leaving The Ralph and UND that's going elsewhere. Side note: We all can agree that when Ralph built the arena, that wasn't his intent.

That would make sense to me. As simple as someone finally asking where is all the money going.

*As others have said, they can spend their money as they'd like, but as I mentioned, I don't think the intent of the contract originally was for money to leave The Ralph / UND.

It is possible that Kennedy asked the Engelstad Foundation to reinvest the excess money generated that is not allocated to anything to be reinvested in the REA and adjoining facilities.  I don't think it's out of bounds to bring up the issue and talk about renegotiating the agreement with the Engelstad Foundation and UND.  Apparently McGarry thought otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

So Mark Kennedy, The Grand Forks Herald's 2017 Person of the Year as printed on December 31st, 2017, is probably the most hated man in Grand Forks and the Greater RRV at this point. Anything to push newspapers. His unpopularity across the UCF interview, clashing heads with Ray Holmberg, and now this article speak to my claim, even though we all know it lasts far longer than that. 

9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It is possible that Kennedy asked the Engelstad Foundation to reinvest the excess money generated that is not allocated to anything to be reinvested in the REA and adjoining facilities.  I don't think it's out of bounds to bring up the issue and talk about renegotiating the agreement with the Engelstad Foundation and UND.  Apparently McGarry thought otherwise. 

It's clear that McGarry has different interests when it comes to donating money than Ralph did. I mean it makes sense, why would she want to donate any more money than she's forced to, to a University where she has no personal ties?

Kennedy vs Mrs Engelstad McGarry. Who picked a fight? Stories I heard about Ralph Engelstad and his love and passion for Sioux hockey and UND. He would pace his office waiting to get updates about Sioux hockey games. He built a palace for his favorite team. 

His daughter and his foundation know this They know Ralph is watching what's going on at UND. IMP they would never do anything to hurt UND because of there love and respect for Ralph. I believe her.

26 minutes ago, AJS said:

You both had great questions, ones that I'd love answered.

All speculation on my part, but after reading others thoughts and some of the questions that were asked, my theory would be.

It's clear that Kennedy wanted to renegotiate, because he feels UND is getting the short end of the stick and they have been for along time. I'd bet that there's excess revenue that's not going into maintenance of the building that the REA Foundation is using for different philanthropic endeavors that have nothing to do with UND. Basically, each year, there's a sum of money that's leaving The Ralph and UND that's going elsewhere. Side note: We all can agree that when Ralph built the arena, that wasn't his intent.

That would make sense to me. As simple as someone finally asking where is all the money going.

*As others have said, they can spend their money as they'd like, but as I mentioned, I don't think the intent of the contract originally was for money to leave The Ralph / UND.

Part II (Edit): Is it possible that Kennedy could have handled himself better? Sure. I'm not saying that at all. I could definitely see a situation where he tries to renegotiate, they reject and he gets frustrated.

i asked this question about an hour ago and was instantly called an idiot...but i think this the 100 pound gorilla...where is all the money going??? REA was supposed to be cash cow for the athletic department and so far maybe that hasn't been the case and the previous presidents didn't want to ruffle some feathers but kennedy does and will?

GF is begging for sheets of ice. Turn the Betty into more rinks. Let Kennedy figure out where to play MBB and WBB as he threatened. Seems like a logical solution for starters. ;)

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

GF is begging for sheets of ice. Turn the Betty into more rinks. Let Kennedy figure out where to play MBB and WBB as he threatened. Seems like a logical solution for starters. ;)

u would think that the reporter would ask her just where kennedy would have und play bball and vball instead of the betty?  alerus, hyslop, sacred heart?

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

u would think that the reporter would ask her just where kennedy would have und play bball and vball instead of the betty?  alerus, hyslop, sacred heart?

You think she gives a _____ where?

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

You think she gives a _____ where?

i know she could care less but i'm doubting if kennedy "threatened" to move bball and vball out of the betty since there is almost no other venue other than the alerus that could accomodate three teams...just trying to get teh she said he said timeline

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i know she could care less but i'm doubting if kennedy "threatened" to move bball and vball out of the betty since there is almost no other venue other than the alerus that could accomodate three teams...just trying to get teh she said he said timeline

....and I'm not doubting he made that threat. 

Of the two parties involved who has the most to lose if this relationship is completely severed?