SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

Guessing UND wanting to renegotiate their contact with the REA didn't go as planned. UND wanted to pay less to help with budget cuts, which Kennedy alluded to a while back. UND has a legitimate argument they should pay less since they are using the facility less and freed up 5-6 weekends a year for the REA to book other events. The REA takes a pretty decent cut of ticket revenue (52% I believe). This breakdown is also the reason the facilities expense was never allocated properly among the different sports. That being said, don't look a gift horse in the mouth and negotiate in good faith. It will be interesting to see what shakes out of this. 

18 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Basketball coaches wanted logo on the court. Rea said no. 

REA is run by a bunch of schmucks who care far more about their personal image and opinions than the actual University and its student. Per the article, McGarry says it isn't about the nickname/logo, but I really suspect a lot of this is; and of course the revenue sharing/contract re-negotiations mentioned by @jdub27.  

Bottomline: IT IS JUST A LOGO/NICKNAME! The success of the student-athletes (wins, losses, GPA, graduation rate, etc.) is far more important than the logo that the "fans" wear on the front of their shirt. So, just as one could argue placing "The Fighting Hawk" on center court doesn't increase graduation rates or wins, one could also argue that the REA explicitly not allowing it is even more biased and emotionally-based than the mindset of those requesting the logo.

Furthermore, if the student-athletes voted and ended up wanting the logo on center court, then it should be done. Simple as that. The REA should have no say in such a student-athlete driven decision. 

The REA is obviously a beautiful world-class facility, but by entering into this agreement nearly two decades ago, UND made a pact that would NOT be entirely in their favor. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Threatening to pull the basketball team is interesting. I've heard a long term plan involving that but it requures significant capital that could be better spent elsewhere at the moment. 

I doubt the logo on the court has anything to do with this. 

Just now, jdub27 said:

Threatening to pull the basketball team is interesting. I've heard a long term plan involving that but it requures significant capital that could be better spent elsewhere at the moment. 

I doubt the logo on the court has anything to do with this. 

I'd be perfectly fine watching the BB teams in the Alerus Center. In fact, I'd actually prefer it. More space and it would give UND even more of an opportunity to call the Alerus Center home. Actually, it could have a reciprocal effect and even improve UND football gamedays.  

Alerus Center - Home of UND Football AND Basketball - I like the sound of that. 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

REA is run by a bunch of schmucks who care far more about their personal image and opinions than the actual University and its student. Per the article, McGarry says it isn't about the nickname/logo, but I really suspect a lot of this is; and of course the revenue sharing/contract re-negotiations mentioned by @jdub27.  

Bottomline: IT IS JUST A LOGO/NICKNAME! The success of the student-athletes (wins, losses, GPA, graduation rate, etc.) is far more important than the logo that the "fans" wear on the front of their shirt. So, just as one could argue placing "The Fighting Hawk" on center court doesn't increase graduation rates or wins, one could also argue that the REA explicitly not allowing it is even more biased and emotionally-based than the mindset of those requesting the logo.

Furthermore, if the student-athletes voted and ended up wanting the logo on center court, then it should be done. Simple as that. The REA should have no say in such a student-athlete driven decision. 

The REA is obviously a beautiful world-class facility, but by entering into this agreement nearly two decades ago, UND made a pact that would NOT be entirely in their favor. 

Go ahead and make that threat. Go play in the parking structure.

I'm sure the response by the REA to that pathetic threat from Kennedy?......

well-bye-28028501.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

well-bye-28028501.png

Go play in the parking structure?

The Alerus Center could potentially accommodate basketball. Other options could certainly also be in the discussion. The "parking structure" is not being considered, sir. 

12 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Keep your pants on, just 12 short years until UND takes over the REA. 

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

This is why I question REA leadership playing hardball here. They know they have a shelf life, and one would think they want to be the obvious choice to manage the arena full time once control is officially ceded to UND, and UND inevitably puts it out for bid. Unless, perhaps, they are content to run out the duration of the gift and then bail.

They are a benevolent non-profit, right? Set up for the good of UND? And they run to the Herald to crap on Kennedy?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This is why I question REA leadership playing hardball here. They know they have a shelf life, and one would think they want to be the obvious choice to manage the arena full time once control is officially ceded to UND, and UND inevitably puts it out for bid. Unless, perhaps, they are content to run out the duration of the gift and then bail.

They are a benevolent non-profit, right? Set up for the good of UND? And they run to the Herald to crap on Kennedy?

Based on historical record, Kennedy has much shorter market expectancy than the Current REA leadership.

32 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Go play in the parking structure?

The Alerus Center could potentially accommodate basketball. Other options could certainly also be in the discussion. The "parking structure" is not being considered, sir. 

I can see the brain drain of leadership thinking they would have a pleasant experience playing in a huge empty football field end zone as opposed to the Betty, that would be on par with the quality of decision making in the UND Administration.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, northernraider said:

The REA and UND both need each other. UND needs a place to play at least hockey, and REA needs people through the doors.  REA will renew whatever contract is being disputed because they are not making money if the building sits empty. 

AHL team would be through the door faster than poop through a goo... Hawk?  UND would play in .....the Icon?

UND without the Ralph is Mayville State with a stagnant coulee.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Frozen4sioux said:

AHL team would be through the door faster than poop through a goo... Hawk?  UND would play in .....the Icon?

UND without the Ralph is Mayville State with a stagnant coulee.

But the REA economic model probably won't work if they lose non-profit status, and isn't that status tied to their support of UND?

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

12 years is a long time. The two parties (Kennedy & The Ralph) need to be smart about this, if they both have good intentions for UND.

I have heard of threats to Sioux (sorry, just couldn't help it) The Ralph by our president. Hopefully this is not true. If Kennedy makes a mess out of this, he will not be a president at any U.

This Palace was built to benefit the U. So as we have always been told. There has never been a good accounting of this process to the Alumni and fans of this U who make it possible for The Ralph to make the $.

If one figures out the attendance/ticket price, concessions, and etc. it seems like there is 1/2M$ spent by the patrons every game. Someone ---  show me the money    ????????

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If Kennedy can’t be more diplomatic than to threaten a lawsuit against a benefactor that supports the cash sport, maybe it would have been a good thing if he left.  Since Berry thanked Kris McGarry, among others when he got his new deal, I suspect they helped get to the level they needed to be at in the negotiations.  Not saying he shouldn’t represent UND’s best interests, but much like most politicians now, diplomacy seems to be a lost art in their world.  It seems they love to play the bully that most of them decry.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I have heard of threats to Sioux (sorry, just couldn't help it) The Ralph by our president. Hopefully this is not true. If Kennedy makes a mess out of this, he will not be a president at any U.

Kennedy critics can't have it both ways. If the contract is as bad for UND as some suggest, and re-negotiation (by force, if need be) is an absolute economic necessity, then he has to do something. Keeping the Engelstad family happy and not hurting their feelings are probably not as important as keeping the lights on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Kennedy critics can't have it both ways. If the contract is as bad for UND as some suggest, and re-negotiation (by force, if need be) is an absolute economic necessity, then he has to do something. Keeping the Engelstad family happy and not hurting their feelings are probably not as important as keeping the lights on.

When it comes to keeping the benevolent donors happy, Kennedy should know his job is to wipe his chin and say thank you.  Only way UND loses real money is by losing the Engelstads

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

When it comes to keeping the benevolent donors happy, Kennedy should know his job is to wipe his chin and say thank you.  Only way UND loses real money is by losing the Engelstads

Maybe the Engelstads have outlived their usefulness. A one-trick (albeit a big one) pony with perpetual sour grapes about the Sioux. Maybe they're insufferable, which is why the negotiations went south?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Just now, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This is so much more about the $ than the Sioux.

Since I suspect neither of us were at the table, all we can do is speculate. My hunch is that Kennedy didn't lead with "Give me what I want or I'll sue you." But I could be wrong.

One thing we can probably agree on...there must be a heck of a lot of gravy in the current deal.

4 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Maybe the Engelstads have outlived their usefulness. A one-trick (albeit a big one) pony with perpetual sour grapes about the Sioux. Maybe they're insufferable, which is why the negotiations went south?

You have zero dam clue what the REA actually has meant and will mean for the future of Grand Forks. But hey lets shuck off the best thing that GF has for economic generation and put all your hopes on the economic impact of those 5 dates a year for football.   God damn thats stupid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2