SiouxSports.com Forum

New Mascot

petey23

Mascot Name  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Now that UND has voted on and approved a new Hawk Mascot, it is time to name the Hawk.

• Tommy
    • Mike
    • F.N.
    • Mx.
    • Chatan
    • Darell

16 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Roll Tide"................................those at Alabama might beg to differ. As would fans of many other schools.

Alabama's logo is either a script A or a goofy looking elephant and their nickname came from the color of mud on white football jerseys a century ago. Neither of those are the reasons for their success or popularity.

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Alabama's logo is either a script A or a goofy looking elephant and their nickname came from the color of mud on white football jerseys a century ago. Neither of those are the reasons for their success or popularity.

But it is their identity as a fan base more so than being recognized as the "University of Alabama".  Their identity in athletics especially FB is more in the nickname than it is the university. You can call my cousin who was on staff within their athletic department for years is you need a second opinion on this. You are correct....success has zero to with it but that wasn't your argument in your last post so stop moving the goalpost.

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

But it is their identity as a fan base more so than being recognized as the "University of Alabama".  Their identity in athletics especially FB is more in the nickname than it is the university. You can call my cousin who was on staff within their athletic department for years is you need a second opinion on this. You are correct....success has zero to with it but that wasn't your argument in your last post so stop moving the goalpost.

Alabama would be in the exact same spot today if their nickname was the Hawks, Eagles, Bulldogs or whatever. They built the identity and popularity through success, not because their nickname or logo was original. The argument that UND can't be special or unique because they lost one nickname (that no one else had) and replaced it with another (that other have similar variations of) is a complete fallacy. 

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I never said the logo/nickname wasn't unique, I said it didn't give the fans some special power of being different from all the other millions of college sports fans. The identity is in the college, some of the most popular schools in the nation have no problem being at the top with what people would consider an unoriginal or bland nickname, because it's the school that makes the nickname what it is, not the other way around.

37 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Alabama would be in the exact same spot today if their nickname was the Hawks, Eagles, Bulldogs or whatever. They built the identity and popularity through success, not because their nickname or logo was original. The argument that UND can't be special or unique because they lost one nickname and replaced it with another is a complete fallacy

The feeling from a fan base of being "different" and having an unique identity based on a nickname is completely different from a university success and popularity standpoint due to on the field/court accomplishments.

The bolded part is up for debate due to the one that was chosen at UND.  Again "Roll Tide" is extremely "different" and very unique. "Go Hawks" is not. You are smart enough to see that......and this example has nothing to do with success.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Auburn Tigers =  "War Eagle".  They found a way to symbolize something for people to rally around.  Maybe we go that way?

I'd be up for that.

19 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

WarHawks? Louisiana-Monroe beat us to that.;)2e09803a31df4350473badbb8c8c0301.png

So honest question. Take this logo and change "ULM" to "UND", "Warhawks" to "Fighting Hawks". and change the colors from maroon, gold, and white, to green, black, and white.  Would people have been more accepting if this was our logo?  Or would people have found a way to criticize it as well.  Just curious.

19 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So honest question. Take this logo and change "ULM" to "UND", "Warhawks" to "Fighting Hawks". and change the colors from maroon, gold, and white, to green, black, and white.  Would people have been more accepting if this was our logo?  Or would people have found a way to criticize it as well.  Just curious.

There will always be people to criticize any logo that is not the Sioux logo, however to play devils advicate, maybe people are pissed that they didn’t get a voice on the logo, the only voice on it was Ed Schafer. Why wasn’t the other logos available for public view? And why weren’t they voted on. IMO if people voted on a logo it may have defused the hatred a little. 

13 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

There will always be people to criticize any logo that is not the Sioux logo, however to play devils advicate, maybe people are pissed that they didn’t get a voice on the logo, the only voice on it was Ed Schafer. Why wasn’t the other logos available for public view? And why weren’t they voted on. IMO if people voted on a logo it may have defused the hatred a little. 

*Advocate

*Cough* @MafiaMan *cough*

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Not to rehash the whole clusterf*ck that led to our current nickname and logo, but in short a batch of names should have been chosen(top 6 or 8) from the initial submission list and vote  and then given to companies that specialize in marketing(local or national or even the UND marketing department) at which time they could put together rough logo ideas and marketing plans to go with the names. Then you decide on the entire concept instead of having 9% of those eligible choose a bland, mediocre name and then having one person choose a horsesh!t logo. 

I am in a business where we sometimes design corporate and team logos for apparel and promotional items. In all honesty, if one of our artists had sent our current logo to me I would have told them to try again and would not have even considered forwarding it on to my business customer or even to the mom of an 8th grade traveling basketball team who was in charge of ordering the uniforms.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, petey23 said:

In all honesty, if one of our artists had sent our current logo to me I would have told them to try again and would not have even considered forwarding it on to my business customer or even to the mom of an 8th grade traveling basketball team who was in charge of ordering the uniforms.

I'm willing to bet you're not nearly as emotionally invested in your clients' businesses. Changes things a little bit.

Not saying you're not entitled to an opinion, but the FH logo did garner some high praise from unbiased sources. I'm too lazy to look, but it ranked pretty highly on a well-regarded, published list of new designs.

21 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

...the FH logo did garner some high praise from unbiased sources. I'm too lazy to look, but it ranked pretty highly on a well-regarded, published list of new designs.

I think these "unbiased sources" ranked the new FH logo just ahead of the Sabres and the Buffa-slug and one spot behind San Francisco's brilliant idea of taking SF off of the football helmets and going with 49ers instead.

21 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I'm willing to bet you're not nearly as emotionally invested in your clients' businesses. Changes things a little bit.

Not saying you're not entitled to an opinion, but the FH logo did garner some high praise from unbiased sources. I'm too lazy to look, but it ranked pretty highly on a well-regarded, published list of new designs.

I am financially invested and therefore that makes me emotionally invested as well.:D

I stand by my opinion. The logo is trash by any objective standard. The name is a name. Not terrible, not good, just a name.

Which was the point of my post...if they hadn't handled the process like a junior high summer marketing project we wouldn't have ended up with a terrible logo and we might have even stumbled our way upon an original name.....or had the common sense to remain just North Dakota until something came along organically.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1