Islanders. Set adrift.
Hurricanes. Downgraded.
Flames. Extinguished.
Stars. Fallen. 
Blues. Sung.
Panthers. Declawed.

Kings. Deposed.

Ducks. Peking'd. 

Dethroned would have been better then deposed.

22 hours ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Not sure if this has been asked before, but why is Vegas so good this year? Typically, in any sport, an expansion team takes several years to be decent. What happened with them? Did they just get lucky that their guys have good chemistry? 

Along with all the answers already given VGK also gets good matchups because of their roster lineup.  Their roster is made up of 2 & 3 line guys that have talent and were just under the top line guys.  So when they matchup against another team, while they may not have a top line they also don't have a 4th line.  It's four 2nd to 3rd lines matching up against the other teams 1-2-3-4, same goes with their D pairings. 

They were also able to construct their roster and contracts from scratch knowing how the current salary cap system works.  Look at all the teams that are in salary cap hell, or can't ever seem to break out because of a couple of bad contracts on the books.  The downside for VGK  is they really don't have a lot of minor league depth.  It's going to take a while for them to build up a system of young talent.  The first couple of seasons they should be solid, it's in a couple of years when their first homegrown talent comes through that will tell us if they have staying power.

VGK might be the blueprint for Seattle but if I am a few NHL clubs I might not be too thrilled about those expansion draft rules.  I'm thinking of places like Buffalo where they just have to be saying "are you F-ing kidding me?" when they see the success in Vegas while they have struggled for years.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Along with all the answers already given VGK also gets good matchups because of their roster lineup.  Their roster is made up of 2 & 3 line guys that have talent and were just under the top line guys.  So when they matchup against another team, while they may not have a top line they also don't have a 4th line.  It's four 2nd to 3rd lines matching up against the other teams 1-2-3-4, same goes with their D pairings. 

They were also able to construct their roster and contracts from scratch knowing how the current salary cap system works.  Look at all the teams that are in salary cap hell, or can't ever seem to break out because of a couple of bad contracts on the books.  The downside for VGK  is they really don't have a lot of minor league depth.  It's going to take a while for them to build up a system of young talent.  The first couple of seasons they should be solid, it's in a couple of years when their first homegrown talent comes through that will tell us if they have staying power.

VGK might be the blueprint for Seattle but if I am a few NHL clubs I might not be too thrilled about those expansion draft rules.  I'm thinking of places like Buffalo where they just have to be saying "are you F-ing kidding me?" when they see the success in Vegas while they have struggled for years.

Chuck Fletcher would like a word with you.  

You can't have a bad contract discussion without including Rick DiPietro.  In 2006 he signed a 15 year, $67.5M contract with the Islanders that would take him to the end of the 2020-21 season.  His last "real" season in the NHL was 2010-11 when he played 26 games.  He did play 8 games in 2011-12 and 3 games in 2012-13.  In 2013 the Islanders bought him out and are paying him $1.5M per year from 2013 - 2029!  It looks to me like this buyout contributes $4.5M/season towards the Islanders cap hit until the 2020-21 season.

1 hour ago, Ray77 said:

You can't have a bad contract discussion without including Rick DiPietro.  In 2006 he signed a 15 year, $67.5M contract with the Islanders that would take him to the end of the 2020-21 season.  His last "real" season in the NHL was 2010-11 when he played 26 games.  He did play 8 games in 2011-12 and 3 games in 2012-13.  In 2013 the Islanders bought him out and are paying him $1.5M per year from 2013 - 2029!  It looks to me like this buyout contributes $4.5M/season towards the Islanders cap hit until the 2020-21 season.

You have to blame the worst NHL GM for that deal and all of the Islanders problems, Garth Snow. 

2 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Vegas does have two bad contracts that should be off the books by 2021-22 (one is 2018-19 the other 2020-21).

10 hours ago, Ray77 said:

That's gotta hurt below the belt?

In back right pocket.

Well, like they say, it ain't braggin' if you can do it.  

When the Capitals found themselves in a hole after losing the first two games of their first-round Stanley Cup playoff series at home, Ovechkin matter-of-factly said the team would return to Washington for a Game 5 with the series tied. He repeated himself Tuesday morning before the team won Game 3 against the Columbus Blue Jackets in double overtime.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2018/04/19/2018-nhl-playoffs-capitals-blue-jackets-game-4-analysis-and-updates/?utm_term=.900a9e85c231#story 

They're going back to DC tied.