SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not really the same thing as no level of baseball currently uses those type of rules, so there is no examples if they would be good or not.  In hockey, the 3x3 is used virtually everywhere in the top levels of hockey.  And no league that has adopted it has reverted back.  So it must not be that bad.  If you don't like 3x3, that's fine.  But looking at how often it is used, you are obviously in the minority.

I would also add that baseball isn’t a good example because they use different rules between the leagues with a designated hitter, and that isn’t to determine an outcome.  It also puts one team in the World Series at a disadvantage because they don’t normally deal with it.  

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Looks like UMD, Mankato and Clarkson are all in an ASU tournament in Glendale over Christmas break.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hockey/4467757-college-mens-hockey-bulldogs-play-desert-hockey-classic-coyotes-gila-river

If not for Vegas, UND would likely be in it.

Omaha also plays Arizona State 4 times this year.

NCAA makes decision on OT. 

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/article/2018-07-19/ncaa-ice-hockey-overtime-proposal-modified

"The rules committee voted to authorize conferences to use either a five-minute, three-on-three overtime period and a shootout or only a shootout to award additional conference points. In both scenarios, a traditional five-minute overtime must be played before the conference option is available. During nonconference games, these alternative options are not permitted, and a game would end in a tie after the traditional five-minute overtime."

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/article/2018-07-19/ncaa-ice-hockey-overtime-proposal-modified

"The rules committee voted to authorize conferences to use either a five-minute, three-on-three overtime period and a shootout or only a shootout to award additional conference points. In both scenarios, a traditional five-minute overtime must be played before the conference option is available. During nonconference games, these alternative options are not permitted, and a game would end in a tie after the traditional five-minute overtime."

There's a easy way to make this work. 

Get rid of the 5x5 OT or make the 3x3 count like a 5x5 OT if it's played after the 5x5 OT.

These smaller schools should like the 3x3 OT option, it gives them a chance to beat the bigger schools. If these coaches are scared that they might lose their jobs then maybe they will start getting better or the schools will hire better coaches.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The correct format would be what literally every other league above juniors (except the NCAA) uses.  5 min 3x3 then shootout.  

Yup. NCAA hockey wants to be a gateway to the NHL? Make it more like the NHL. So simple.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Yes!   GET RID OF OLYMPIC SIZED SHEETS TOO!

I’m betting that CC’s new arena will be an NHL size sheet especially given the fact that capacity is rumored to only be around 3,000-3,500. 

7 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The correct format would be what literally every other league above juniors (except the NCAA) uses.  5 min 3x3 then shootout.  

6 hours ago, HockeyFan31 said:

Anything besides a shootout, please......

3 x 3 followed by a shootout?  I'd rather give each team's respective captain a pistol, march off 20 paces outward at center ice, and quick-draw.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Count me happy that nonconference games no longer have the extra 3x3 and shootouts.  Those never made any sense.

12 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

3 x 3 followed by a shootout?  I'd rather give each team's respective captain a pistol, march off 20 paces outward at center ice, and quick-draw.

So what is the best scenario then?  5x5 then a tie?  That was how it was done for years and now everyone is changing to the 3x3.  The NCAA is the last league to not fully adopt it.  And, no league that has changes to the 3x3 then shootout has changed it back or done something else.  So judging by that, it obviously works and the fans like it.  

29 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So what is the best scenario then?  5x5 then a tie?  That was how it was done for years and now everyone is changing to the 3x3.  The NCAA is the last league to not fully adopt it.  And, no league that has changes to the 3x3 then shootout has changed it back or done something else.  So judging by that, it obviously works and the fans like it.  

10 minutes of 3x3. If you can’t score in a 10 minute 3x3 OT then you deserve a tie.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

10 minutes of 3x3. If you can’t score in a 10 minute 3x3 OT then you deserve a tie.

How about after 5 minutes 3X3, goalies lose their sticks.  After another 5, goalies lose their gloves.  After another 5 minutes if still tied, both teams get an L.  

• Upvote 1

Long time lurker.

Does anyone really think the marginal number of 3x3 OT minutes and SO attempts players get during a 40-game season is a necessary developmental gateway to the NHL?  How many players actually get drafted because an NHL scout saw them get crafty in OT/SO?  It's absurd.    

I hate the 3x3 at any level as an OT format and the SO is even worse but that ship may have sailed and taken my, "Get off my lawn" sign with it.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Slap Shot said:

Long time lurker.

Does anyone really think the marginal number of 3x3 OT minutes and SO attempts players get during a 40-game season is a necessary developmental gateway to the NHL?  How many players actually get drafted because an NHL scout saw them get crafty in OT/SO?  It's absurd.    

I hate the 3x3 at any level as an OT format and the SO is even worse but that ship may have sailed and taken my, "Get off my lawn" sign with it.  

I know that the UND hockey team does practice shootouts and the 3-on-3 during their practices, so they have exposure to it. 

Just now, Goon said:

I know that the UND hockey teams do practice shootouts and the 3-on-3 during their practices, so they have exposure to it. 

I've no doubt.  It makes sense that they practice it since it could end up being a real in-game situation X times per year.  But the NCAA had no problem getting players to the NHL before the 3x3/SO format and I really don't think it's a crucial component for becoming NHL "ready".   The players that dominate 3x3 minutes and SO attempts are already equipped for it anyway skills wise.    

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

I thought they were going with 5,000 seats?

Nothing has been formally announced but the word among insiders is, it’s going to be around 3,000 seats. As a season ticket holder, this sucks. Even at their worst the previous recent seasons, they were easily getting over 4,000 per game. I can see it now-they’ll build a fancy new on campus barn and then jack up the ticket prices for those of us who stuck with the team during their down years. If that happens, we’ll simply drop our season tickets and become AF season ticket holders instead and then just buy individual game tickets for series against North Dakota (assuming there will be available GA tickets to be had).