SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

2 hours ago, Clark17 said:

Who remembers the 1984 title game?  Not sure if it was live or replayed when I watched it.  I was pretty young but remember watching it.  

Gino Cavellini scores in the 3rd? OT to beat Duluth I believe.

5 hours ago, Clark17 said:

How are the regional pairings at the frozen 4 determined? I assume it’s a rotation from year to year?  From what I could find it looks like west and mw are on the same side meaning SCSU n UMD can only meet in the semis.  

They would meet in the National Title game.

4 hours ago, Clark17 said:

Who remembers the 1984 title game?  Not sure if it was live or replayed when I watched it.  I was pretty young but remember watching it.  

I certainly do.  Watched the game in person.

Plans were to drive home after the game ended but it kept going on and on and on ... Lake Placid is a great setting for hockey.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how many of you here were at the Frozen Faceoff this past weekend, but I thought it was a fun event.

I've attended the playoff tournament every year since the WCHA started it after the 1987-88 season, and it's always been one of my favorite weekends of the year, even on those rare occasions where UND did not make it.  I thought there was a nice crowd this year, contrary to everyone's fears.  The crowd was into it, and it was fun hockey to watch.  That championship game was as good a college hockey game as you could hope to attend.

I've been a little fearful these past five years about the future of our college hockey playoff tournament, especially when the trend seems to be moving away from them.  But we may be onto something here.  If SCSU, UMD and UND can keep their programs going at a very high, competitive level, this tournament is going to flourish, even in the absence of Minnesota.

Now, I'd love it if we could trade WMU, Miami and a bag of used sticks for BSU and Mankato, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:51 PM, MafiaMan said:

World Junior gold medal and bronze medal winning coach.  Motzko’s no slouch.

Depends how focused Motzko is on the task at hand. Cloud fans will tell you he was already distracted by the Minnesota job last year which was the sole reason the Huskies got knocked out in the first round (again).;):whistling:

3 minutes ago, HockeyFan31 said:

Depends how focused Motzko is on the task at hand. Cloud fans will tell you he was already distracted by the Minnesota job last year which was the sole reason the Huskies got knocked out in the first round (again).;):whistling:

So there should of been no distraction for Motzko this year with the Goofs?
Now, be interesting how the Clowns do in the NCAA's.
Can Brett Larson pull a Brad Berry?

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

So there should of been no distraction for Motzko this year with the Goofs?
Now, be interesting how the Clowns do in the NCAA's.
Can Brett Larson pull a Brad Berry?

From what I saw Gopher fans were ripping the upperclassmen to start the year. They turned into 4/5 of the top PP unit and received great praise from Motzko after the season ended.

I hope they pull a usual St Clown but they are freaking loaded.

I hope not. But I don't want to see UMD win another so it's looking like a lose lose if the tourney plays out the way is looks like it will. I think it would be tough to pick against SCSU or UMD, but in a one and done format you just never know(and St Cloud knows that better than most).

49 minutes ago, tnt said:

I would say that Ohio State could give St. Cloud a scare, but it seems every time I have seen them, they take really dumb penalties.  If they can wise up a little, they could give St. Cloud a great game.  

True. Curious to see how Ohio St plays coming off of a "bye week" after losing in the B1G semis and a week off prior to that with their actual bye in the first round of the B1Gs. Could be a "rested or rusty" situation. They've been stumbling of late as well though.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I would say that Ohio State could give St. Cloud a scare, but it seems every time I have seen them, they take really dumb penalties.  If they can wise up a little, they could give St. Cloud a great game.  

I don’t see Ohio State beating Denver.

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Ohio State spanked Denver in the regionals last year, and Denver had a loaded team that looked like a title contender. 

And nobody on my panel of experts predicted anything other than a 10-2 Denver win.  DU evidently had a bunch of fat cats waiting to head to the NHL.  

In local non DI college hockey Minot State knocks off Rick Zombo's Lindenwood team and is headed to face Iowa State in the ACHA national championship tomorrow night.

Wish I had another college team in North Dakota to follow in the playoffs but.......yeah. 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

In local non DI college hockey Minot State knocks off Rick Zombo's Lindenwood team and is headed to face Iowa State in the ACHA national championship tomorrow night.

Wish I had another college team in North Dakota to follow in the playoffs but.......yeah. 

NDSU has an arena to use that's perfect, but it will never happen.

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The 'Jacks still have a team?  JC, but they won some championships, I believe.   

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Minot is pretty damn good. They play the University of Jamestown like 8 times a year so I’ve seen them quite a bit.  It’s obviously become a big rivalry and gets heated at times. UJ lost in the first round in overtime to Robert Morris. 

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

Minot is pretty damn good. They play the University of Jamestown like 8 times a year so I’ve seen them quite a bit.  It’s obviously become a big rivalry and gets heated at times. UJ lost in the first round in overtime to Robert Morris. 

I was hoping JC would go on a run in the tournament and we would see an all North Dakota matchup at some point.  Good for them for making the tournament in season #2. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Pretty sure Bottineau still has a team.  Around 10 JC championships I think.

Got to see them play a GF team with former Sioux, including Panzers, at the Lumberdome.  Cold place but great old school hockey venue. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Minot is an independent, surprised the WCHL hasn’t tried to have them in their conference yet.