SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

23 hours ago, LeftyZL said:

I am watching the Minnesota and Penn State hockey game and the commentators talked about the Penn State rink using distilled water versus regular water. Apparently makes the ice smoother.

Anyone hear that before? What’s The Ralph use?

Holy water.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

OK all.....here's a hit in the Kato-Tech game this weekend. 

What say you? CFB? Boarding? Major? Minor? I'm still not sure I know.

Sorry, I'm not sure if there is a better way to post Twitter posts.

Edited by UNDBIZ
fixed the tweet link

19 minutes ago, bale31 said:

OK all.....here's a hit in the Kato-Tech game this weekend. 

What say you? CFB? Boarding? Major? Minor? I'm still not sure I know.

Looks like he hit him square on the back numbers to me.  Unfortunate spot on the ice too with the glass just starting.

What's the NCAA rule book say?

Rule 50 - Hitting From Behind

50.1 Hitting From Behind - A player shall not push, charge, cross-check or body check an opponent from behind in open ice.
PENALTY—Minor or major at the discretion of the referee.

Hitting from behind into the side boards, end boards or goal cage is a flagrant violation.
PENALTY—Major and game misconduct or disqualification at the discretion of the referee.

Note: The committee reminds coaches and players that the responsibility remains with the player approaching an opponent along the boards in this rule. While players turning to draw penalties are a concern, the positive change in behavior the committee observed outweighs this issue. Any penalty in relation to this rule along the boards or into the goal cage must be a major penalty and a game misconduct. 

To my eyes that was right between the numbers in the back: hitting from behind, and into the side board. 

See above (major) penalty, by rule. 

27 minutes ago, Goon said:

The comments following the tweet were interesting. 

26 minutes ago, bale31 said:

That's what has me questioning it. My gut reaction is that it's a major, but I'm just not sure if I"m missing something.

Seems to me most of the comments outside a few obvious homers support a major being called there, no?

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Seems to me most of the comments outside a few obvious homers support a major being called there, no?

It was mostly made up of homers. Both Tech homers and MSU homers. It just seemed that the Tech homers were so vehemently opposed to it being called anything.

I posted the same thing on GPL and it was 75/25 in favor of a CFB, but there were a decent amount saying it wasn't. I just wasn't sure if my homerism was coming through.

2 minutes ago, bale31 said:

It was mostly made up of homers. Both Tech homers and MSU homers. It just seemed that the Tech homers were so vehemently opposed to it being called anything.

I posted the same thing on GPL and it was 75/25 in favor of a CFB, but there were a decent amount saying it wasn't. I just wasn't sure if my homerism was coming through.

With the quality of the video, it's hard to say. I'd like to see another angle of the hit. Yes, it's probably a five and a game, but I don't think it's worthy of a suspension. 

1 minute ago, Goon said:

With the quality of the video, it's hard to say. I'd like to see another angle of the hit. Yes, it's probably a five and a game, but I don't think it's worthy of a suspension. 

Agreed. I didn't even think there was intent. My thought is that it was a couple of guys skating hard for a puck and one guy got a little reckless, but that's what they're trying to take out of the game.

• Upvote 1