SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

2 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Miami has been pretty stable in their assistant coaching staff, but this season they've got two new coaches.   Hypothesis I'd have is that Blasi stuck too long with assistants he had around for a while.  

Also, their recruiting ground is mostly Michigan, with secondary sources in Ontario and Ohio.  (And a few from all over.)    I wonder if geography and time zone differences may be offsetting the NCHC advantages of playing against top notch competition to set players up for a shot at the pros.  

In the past they've had more skaters than they currently do from suburban Chicago as well.

On 2/4/2019 at 5:48 AM, GDPritch said:

I know it was more than just wins and losses but I was surprised (still am) when Minn St-Mankato didn't get in the NCHC over Miami.  Had to be something, I'm sure.

Yeah, it was a commitment to spending the resources to remain relevant in hockey. At the time the NCHC was formed, Mankato was considered one of the budget-conscious schools in the WCHA.

10 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Yeah, it was a commitment to spending the resources to remain relevant in hockey. At the time the NCHC was formed, Mankato was considered one of the budget-conscious schools in the WCHA.

Yup. Mike Hastings hadn’t taken over there yet at the time either. 

7 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yup. Mike Hastings hadn’t taken over there yet at the time either. 

Yep, unfortunately, Mike wasn't hired until the season before the conferences actually split up. The decision had already been made and, I think, the administration saw that the lack of resources for years is what cause us to not be included. I believe they realized that a larger commitment was needed from the day that St. Cloud was chosen to join over MSU. The difference in Mankato now from where it was 5 years ago is, frankly, astonishing as I look back to where we were. Between the arena upgrades to the recruiting commitment to the locker room changes, it's like night and day to what it was when you all last saw us.

In Hastings first season, he took a 12 win team to a 24 win team in the old WCHA. That's why there are a lot of MSU fans that want in to the NCHC and think we would be very competitive. In any case, that first year makes one wonder what might have been....

42 minutes ago, bale31 said:

Yep, unfortunately, Mike wasn't hired until the season before the conferences actually split up. The decision had already been made and, I think, the administration saw that the lack of resources for years is what cause us to not be included. I believe they realized that a larger commitment was needed from the day that St. Cloud was chosen to join over MSU. The difference in Mankato now from where it was 5 years ago is, frankly, astonishing as I look back to where we were. Between the arena upgrades to the recruiting commitment to the locker room changes, it's like night and day to what it was when you all last saw us.

In Hastings first season, he took a 12 win team to a 24 win team in the old WCHA. That's why there are a lot of MSU fans that want in to the NCHC and think we would be very competitive. In any case, that first year makes one wonder what might have been....

On the flip-side, had the team joined the NCHC immediately, Mankato might not have had the "right-away" success that it has enjoyed in the new-look WCHA.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

On the flip-side, had the team joined the NCHC immediately, Mankato might not have had the "right-away" success that it has enjoyed in the new-look WCHA.  

I don't disagree, but it depends on what you consider "success". My spidey sense tells me that the majority of fans would be happy to take 20-22 wins a year in the NCHC rather than 26-28 wins in the WCHA. I know that's not a guarantee, but that would be the expectation from fans.

It is what it is at this point. I'm content with whatever ends up happening. I hope, though, that if we end up staying in the WCHA that the rest of the league continues to improve. Right now there is such a small margin for error that we can't afford to not have 26+ wins and expect to make the tourney. Personally, it's fun to see MSU going up against UND, UMD, SCSU and MN. It's much more exciting to see those teams (regardless of how good they are at any given time) than it is seeing a steady stream of the Alaskas, Huntsville, or Michigan schools.

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd take that right about now ... :crazy:

Ha! Again, I'm not saying that would be a guarantee or would be easy. It would be interesting to see what MSU in the NCHC would look like. Maybe we'd get our asses kicked on a weekly basis, I don't know. 

41 minutes ago, bale31 said:

Ha! Again, I'm not saying that would be a guarantee or would be easy. It would be interesting to see what MSU in the NCHC would look like. Maybe we'd get our asses kicked on a weekly basis, I don't know. 

Maybe Miami would switch places with you.