SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

tumblr_nmjy337i2z1rp0vkjo1_500.gifSho

SHOOTOUTS ARE AN ABOMINATION!  

Let's put our line in the water, shall we? So.., do you think if someone breaks a game-winning goal statistic during the modern age, i.e. via the three-on-three era, should that statistic contain an asterisk?

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Let's put our line in the water, shall we? So.., do you think if someone breaks a game-winning goal statistic during the modern age, i.e. via the three-on-three era, should that statistic contain an asterisk?

C'mon, Goon, wbo is on the ice in 3x3 OT, the grind line?  No, it's the scorers.  So, if someone down the road pots 50 goals in 38 games and "beats" Wayne Gretzky's record of fastest to 50 goals -- and any of those goals were scored in 3x3 OT -- you're damn right I think there should be an asterisk on that "new record."  

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

C'mon, Goon, wbo is on the ice in 3x3 OT, the grind line?  No, it's the scorers.  So, if someone down the road pots 50 goals in 38 games and "beats" Wayne Gretzky's record of fastest to 50 goals -- and any of those goals were scored in 3x3 OT -- you're damn right I think there should be an asterisk on that "new record."  

His records will never be broken.  Completly different game now.  The way they played back then (with the time and space) is pretty much the equivalent to playing 3x3 (ok maybe 4x4).

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

His records will never be broken.  Completly different game now.  The way they played back then (with the time and space) is pretty much the equivalent to playing 3x3 (ok maybe 4x4).

8 Track tape players?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I have to agree with you. The players aren’t racking up the points like they used to. I think some of the blame should be the size of the goalie’a equipment. 

3 hours ago, Goon said:

I have to agree with you. The players aren’t racking up the points like they used to. I think some of the blame should be the size of the goalie’a equipment. 

Nah.  These guys just don't play the game anymore.  Plastic sticks; little bitty gloves; face shields; toe drags (wtf is that??).  They probably don't even need nutcups. 

53 minutes ago, Goon said:

Compare and contrast. Look at the size of the equipment. Exhibit A, well that picture speaks for its self. Exhibits B and C that's the modern day goalie. 

Eddie the eagle.png

flyers goalie.png

Bobby Lou.png

Are those guys all the same size?

18 hours ago, Goon said:

I'm sure that plays into it a bit.  However, I have a goalie buddy who always goes back to the newer sticks nowadays.  Given how light they are and with that flex, players can send quick rockets from anywhere.  The sticks along with player skates, there is just no time and space anymore.  Couple that with the goalie equipment and it's simply tougher to score goals these days. 

12 hours ago, Goon said:

Compare and contrast. Look at the size of the equipment. Exhibit A, well that picture speaks for its self. Exhibits B and C that's the modern day goalie. 

Eddie the eagle.png

flyers goalie.png

Bobby Lou.png

I had no idea that Ed Belfour played with no goalie mask!  That explains a lot!  :lol:

14 hours ago, Goon said:

Eddie the eagle.png

flyers goalie.png

Bobby Lou.png

I love how back in the old days hockey was a rough and tumble sport.  The sport did not care about appearance.  Case in point, look at that goal net.  Holy crap, they took his school picture and used the rusted, beat-up, back up net.  If you watch any old games from the 70's and 80's you see the same thing, beat up nets with chipped posts and practically black netting hanging off the goal.  Today the goal is a perfectly painted red and the net is a crisp white, probably goes through the washer after every game.  Even the boards back then looked all beat up compared to today's pristine rinks.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

I love how back in the old days hockey was a rough and tumble sport.  The sport did not care about appearance.  Case in point, look at that goal net.  Holy crap, they took his school picture and used the rusted, beat-up, back up net.  If you watch any old games from the 70's and 80's you see the same thing, beat up nets with chipped posts and practically black netting hanging off the goal.  Today the goal is a perfectly painted red and the net is a crisp white, probably goes through the washer after every game.  Even the boards back then looked all beat up compared to today's pristine rinks.

Yah, no a days, schools have two sets of nets-one set for practice and pre-game warmups and another set for the actual games. You should see the crappy nets we use in my Monument, CO league-you can hardly tell that the posts are supposed to be red and the netting looks like it’s ready to fall off.

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Has anyone here been to a game at Arizona State’s arena? I’m contemplating going there in December for the series against CC. I hear it’s a pretty small arena.

Yes.  Very small.  About half the size for seating as a normal Midwest HS rink.
If I remember correctly, Oceanside is less than 800 seats.  Unless they're playing the CC series at Gila?

4 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Has anyone here been to a game at Arizona State’s arena? I’m contemplating going there in December for the series against CC. I hear it’s a pretty small arena.

I hear the tickets are hard to get at their arena.

On 8/3/2018 at 8:02 AM, Goon said:

Nope, wrong answer. Now you're just getting silly. 

net.png

So the players are bigger, stronger, and faster than ever and take up more space than ever.  After completely messing with OT and moving it from 5x5 to 4x4 and now 3x3, you don’t suppose it’s crazy to think the NHL might view taking another guy off the ice full-time in regulation to, you know, increase scoring chances.

• Upvote 2

On 8/3/2018 at 10:45 AM, Yote 53 said:

Maybe the goalies could go back to brown goalie gear and everyone could wear wool jerseys, too!

No, thanks.