SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

Last season the ECAC came back to earth after have good seasons following the Yale and Union titles.

I've heard Eric Rud is the front runner for the St. Cloud head coach.

Come on Colorado College, BC end their title drought its time for you to end yours too.

13 hours ago, cberkas said:

Lance West and Brent Brekke are the two finalists for the Alaska head coaching job.

Brekke is a good friend of my brothers, he used to play catch with me a lot when I was little. Good guy, I have a signed card of his from back in his playing days. 

11 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Eric Vegoe

UMD head coach Scott Sandelin said yesterday, 'I want to raise the [national title] banner against Minnesota next year, is what I want to do... that'll be a fun thing.'

Troll level: Expert :lol::D

Sandelin gets it!!!! Now, that's a continuation of the Heart Shot that killed Minnesota's dearms of the 2018 NCAAs +  envy of the Dogg's Natty. That 0.0001 will be around for a long time. 

There is going to be some great games in the near future with MN verses Duluth or St Cloud.

• Like 1

https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/906753?referrer_id=3719763

In my opinion, there is no better entity to lead than the University of Minnesota. Here is an idea to build upon. First, announce at the annual coaches meetings this month in Florida that the University of Minnesota will no longer ask for or honor verbal commitments made to other institutions from players under the age of 17.  Gopher hockey will advise all players, and specifically those who appear on their recruiting “short list,” to advise other institutions that if they are fishing for a verbal commitment, they retain the right to commit to the University of Minnesota at the time of their 17th birthday. These young players have nothing to lose. To be on the Gopher “short list” almost by definition means they are quite talented and will have many schools with strong interest. And Bob, work with these other schools. If you don’t have room for a player, help them with other schools. Herb Brooks often did this.

Arrogance at its finest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I actually think the article is OK. 

That's fine, however, the Gophers would be the first ones to complain if teams started picking off their prized recruits. In essence, the "Gentlemen's Agreement" isn't really being honored by everyone anymore. Anyways. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Goon said:

That's fine, however, the Gophers would be the first ones to complain if teams started picking off their prized recruits. In essence, the "Gentlemen's Agreement" isn't really being honored by everyone anymore. Anyways. 

I never understood why the GA was developed in the first place? If you adhere to it you’re losing, from a recruiting standpoint. It also forces teams to commit younger and younger kids.

i actually think what Hartzell said made sense...to combat the recruitment of middle schoolers.  He was right that young kids get a sense of entitlement when they receive offers.  You don’t think this has affected any UND kids?

in a perfect world a kid would commit the year before they enter the institution.  The reason is was created was to stop losing CHL kids and help smaller schools.  This has really no affect on CHL anymore (I think).  College hockey has become very popular.

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Which arrogance part?

First, announce at the annual coaches meetings this month in Florida that the University of Minnesota will no longer ask for or honor verbal commitments made to other institutions from players under the age of 17.  Gopher hockey will advise all players, and specifically those who appear on their recruiting “short list,” to advise other institutions that if they are fishing for a verbal commitment, they retain the right to commit to the University of Minnesota at the time of their 17th birthday.

6 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Oh sure.  I wouldn’t be opposed to all schools doing this. However the more I think about it, the more I’m thinking it would be super hard to project future team without knowing who is coming in and when.  That would be pretty tough.

i just think the recruiting environment has gotten terrible. 13-14 is too young.  17 is perfect 

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Oh sure.  I wouldn’t be opposed to all schools doing this. However the more I think about it, the more I’m thinking it would be super hard to project future team without knowing who is coming in and when.  That would be pretty tough.

i just think the recruiting environment has gotten terrible. 13-14 is too young.  17 is perfect 

If the B1G school want to keep complaining about recruiting younger kids, then they should stop recruiting younger kids. The B1G schools started this trend.

14 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I never understood why the GA was developed in the first place? If you adhere to it you’re losing, from a recruiting standpoint. It also forces teams to commit younger and younger kids.

i actually think what Hartzell said made sense...to combat the recruitment of middle schoolers.  He was right that young kids get a sense of entitlement when they receive offers.  You don’t think this has affected any UND kids?

in a perfect world a kid would commit the year before they enter the institution.  The reason is was created was to stop losing CHL kids and help smaller schools.  This has really no affect on CHL anymore (I think).  College hockey has become very popular.

But Minnesota has already said they are not part of any Gentleman's Agreement, so why are they one of the worst offenders in recruiting guys before their voice changes?  If everyone ditched the Gentleman's Agreement, it still would not change the early recruitment because once you get your foot in the door you are already ahead of the game. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I've been told that UND still honors the GA, look at the other sports like Basketball and Football. Teams recruit players until they sign their LOI. 

Nothing illegal about it. Is it unethical? IDK? 

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I actually think what Hartzell said made sense...to combat the recruitment of middle schoolers. 

This is a fair point and I agree that kids are getting recruited too young. Because schools know that all of these kids aren't going to develop, it leads to over-recruiting and leaves kids scrambling. However the way it's presented using the term Minnesota's "short list" comes off as arrogant. Couple that with stating they will no longer recognize any verbal commitment made before a kid is 17 just screams "we are better than you". Not saying that UM isn't one of the top schools kids have to choose from, but to specifically tell players to tell other schools that they will reserve the right to ignore their previous commitment the day the turn 17 to commit to UM is presented in a pretty smug way. 

8 minutes ago, cberkas said:

If the B1G school want to keep complaining about recruiting younger kids, then they should stop recruiting younger kids. The B1G schools started this trend.

Pretty sure Maine and Vermont were some of the first to grab 13-14 year olds, but who gives a &@$& who started it.  It’s getting ridiculous.  They’re not going to stop if other teams continue to do so.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Goon said:

I've been told that UND still honors the GA, look at the other sports like Basketball and Football. Teams recruit players until they sign their LOI. 

Nothing illegal about it. Is it unethical? IDK? 

Agreed.  From my perpective a Verbal is just a verbal.  Nothing locked in until they can sign.  Again, still confused why there is a GA.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed.  From my perpective a Verbal is just a verbal.  Nothing locked in until they can sign.  Again, still confused why there is a GA.

The gentleman's agreement is the stupidest thing ever. Makes no sens for a program like UND, Minnesota, Denver, Michigan, BC, BU to follow it. I'd be very much in favor of the UND staff continue to recruit whoever they think will help UND until that player has signed his NLI.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agree. Not like the CHL ever cared that a kid had a verbal commitment or a signed one for that matter.