SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandy?

gfhockey

17 minutes ago, Irish said:

Of course you are right and your logic is correct.  No one should want Berry gone because of this season and I believe no one does (well, maybe one).  What we do want is for him to up his game especially on the recruiting trail.  The optics for this season were frustrating for Sioux fans - we couldn't hold a 2-3 goal lead even in the most important games, couldn't play a full 60, and our offense could be described as "chip it off the glass".  In addition, St. Cloud out skated us and Duluth bullied us physically.  Looking towards the future, St. Cloud had half of the all freshman NCHC team, Duluth had 5?  World Junior players.  Of the sophomores in the top 25 in NCHC in scoring, none of the 7 were ours and and the two freshmen on the list belong to Duluth and Denver.  There is a feeling that not only is Denver beating us to top talent, but also Duluth and St. Cloud (which drives me nuts).  I know we have some good defensive talent in the pipeline, but we are used to being top dog and having top talent.  I know we played the top teams tough, but we couldn't put away Miami when we needed to.  We have the best fans, the best facilities, and the best tradition in the nation.  Time to get in some studs and rule the roost again. 

I agree we want to have the best players.  We have arguably the best fan following in the nation but its easy to be good fans when we are always winning.  The band wagon population changes shift to shift sometimes.  Lets see how our fans react to a tough year like this.  Our hockey facilities are as good as any college program in the country.  How do our athletic dorms compare?  I think you follow sports closely enough to know other teams have upgraded their facilities so the gap isn't what it was.  Our pipeline to Shattuck was huge for us for a number of years.  How is Shattuck doing and where are those kids going?  With the emergence of UMD, St. Cloud , Bemidji and Mankato it is tougher for the Gophers but also tougher for us.  You can be a good coach and have down years.  Coaches don't all of a sudden get stupid in a year. Developing the top program in college hockey was difficult, takes time and Luck ($100,000,000 donor).  It is often very difficult to stay on top and almost impossible to make the FF every year.  This was a down year but we barely missed the playoffs and still had a winning season.  The great thing about our program is that the coaches, players and fans are not happy with a year like this. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Should be easier to recruit to here then umd. We have lots more advantages in my opinion....but parity

My TC suburban high school sent dozens if not almost 100 to Duluth for college. Maybe a dozen to UND, and mainly those who couldn't get in elsewhere. Playing in front of friends can be a draw. They can recruit to that before the players realize there's more to life than their teenage social status.

12 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Will SandMan B de underDOGG 2day? Will his playoff experience get him the Natty?   

The Golden Buckets have the PRW advantage being at #2 and the Doggs being last team in by the now famous NCAA 0.0001 rpi.

Unbelievable story unfolding here today for a UND star alum!

I think it's about time @BarnWinterSportsEngelstad buys himself a UMD Bulldog jersey...

Berry is going now where, nor should he.  But damn....sandy is hot.  3 title games in eight years, two chips.  That’s nuts.  Especially considering the resources.  Not to mention they have a bunch of nice kids coming in and their team is still super young.  Also, the ntdp u17 roster invites were announced and there are 4-5 UMD commits.  Without doubt one of the best coaches in the Land.

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Berry is going now where, nor should he.  But damn....sandy is hot.  3 title games in eight years, two chips.  That’s nuts.  Especially considering the resources.  Not to mention they have a bunch of nice kids coming in and their team is still super young.  Also, the ntdp u17 roster invites were announced and there are 4-5 UMD commits.  Without doubt one of the best coaches in the Land.

I hope Berry is out recruiting his ass off.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2018 at 9:29 PM, gfhockey said:

We have regressed. Sandy has progressed. 

Lmao, 1st time in 16 years we aren’t in the tourney and two years removed from a championship. I’ll give Berry his due time. That being said, IF it doesn’t work out in the next few years, then try getting Sandy, but I have to think if you bring in Sandy as head coach, you likely lose Jackson. Guy has certainly been waiting for his chance and his contributions to the program can’t be overlooked.

10 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Will SandMan B de underDOGG 2day? Will his playoff experience get him the Natty?   

The Golden Buckets have the PRW advantage being at #2 and the Doggs being last team in by the now famous NCAA 0.0001 rpi.

Unbelievable story unfolding here today for a UND star alum!

Sandy drove people nuts as a player

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

Jason Herter has full embraced the dark side.

He should get tons of credit for the work he puts in with their d men.  I’m surprised he isn’t talked about for more head coaching jobs. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

He should get tons of credit for the work he puts in with their d men.  I’m surprised he isn’t talked about for more head coaching jobs. 

I think his time will come...can't believe the best Merrimack could do was a re-tread like Scott Borek.