SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League WBB

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Interesting previous comment in this thread about Sarah Jacobson a "class act", and one needs to remember her family history at SU. Sarah mentions about letting this play out a couple of times, does this mean something? Could she be anticipating a Coach Walseth dismissal and then return (play out)?

Why would Walseth kick a red shirt (which by the way already played two years) off the team with big family history, no reason stated? Kind of odd? And then only positive things are said by everyone involved? I could see a reason for Sarah leaving in that maybe she would think Walseth can't coach, but she was kicked off the team? 

There's a fire in the new empty Sanford Health Athletic Complex for the WBB games. Could we see another dismissal here soon, this time a coach?

I would guess that it would be strongly considered.  Don't know how many years she had a contract for, but it doesn't seem to be improving much. 

My daughter has played HS sports with a lot of quality athletes in the FM area that have gone on to play at different levels collegiately in different sports. Not many she has played with have had a better work ethic, passion to improve/succeed or have had better leadership skills. 

I have meet Sarah and her parents.......I'll side with her on this one.

16 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

My daughter has played HS sports with a lot of quality athletes in the FM area that have gone on to play at different levels collegiately in different sports. Not many she has played with have had a better work ethic, passion to improve/succeed or have had better leadership skills. 

I have meet Sarah and her parents.......I'll side with her on this one.

I believe you on everything you say about her family, work ethic, and such.  However, it's hard to overlook the decision she made that set this process in motion. 

1 minute ago, UND-1 said:

I believe you on everything you say about her family, work ethic, and such.  However, it's hard to overlook the decision she made that set this process in motion. 

We'll agree to disagree.

BTW Walseth's record at NDSU is 31-84 I believe.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

We'll agree to disagree.

BTW Walseth's record at NDSU is 31-84 I believe.

In your opinion that justifies SJ's decision to sit the year out in hopes of Walseth being fired?  Personally, I question how someone could abandon their teammates in hopes of personal gain that may or may not happen. If I am Brew I would question that first.

6 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

In your opinion that justifies SJ's decision to sit the year out in hopes of Walseth being fired?  Personally, I question how someone could abandon their teammates in hopes of personal gain that may or may not happen. If I am Brew I would question that first.

That's a pretty deep rabbit hole you're going down.

7 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Wouldn't she need to sit out another year if she transfers?  If not Brew needs to make the call.  Otherwise to take up a roster spot for 2 years and only get her for 1 year is not worth it.

I think she would..be a bad decision to sit out if she has to transfer now.  

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

I think she would..be a bad decision to sit out if she has to transfer now.  

I definitely see your point......2 years away from live game action is long stretch but she could help UND's team IMO.

13 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Sara Jacobson was "dismissed" from the NDSU program.....and some think UND is the biggest dumpster fire in the RRV?  Brew better have made a call already!

NDSU is worse than UND, but I would rather build something similar to what the South Dakota schools have built. And I don't think Brewster is the man to get us there.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

NDSU is worse than UND, but I would rather build something similar to what the South Dakota schools have built. And I don't think Brewster is the man to get us there.

Barring the unforeseen, the South Dakota schools are 29 and 34 in the RPI and both are going dancing.   

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rather impressive seeds for SDSU and USD.

SDSU got a #6 seed and plays in the regional hosted by Syracuse.

USD got a #8 seed and plays in the regional hosted by Miss St.

The selection committee doesn’t normally give any credence to non-reknown ,mid major conferences, 

This is fine run by SDSU but next year they will be coming back to the pack with loss of their seniors this year. On the other hand this is not the case for University of South Dakota I think there time for peaking will be next year and year after if they can continue to add a few pieces each of next two years. SDSU will need a great recruiting year and based on Johnson record he will probably put quality team on the floor but I believe he will be rebuilding next year with senior graduations this year. The rest of Summit conference are similar to UND where it will be dog fight to find who's best between them . I just don't see us competing for top spot in league next year to hard to win with large group of Freshman and Sophomores which we will have next year. Unless he brings in transfer from another division I program and haven't heard anything on that front. NDSU is going to have very difficult year with few players returning from this year and no new coached hired yet or staff so they will be late getting out their recruiting to get some of top athletes.  Brewster will need to hit recruiting trail hard if he's going to stay around at UND and then he's going to need to connect with his players and get over his mind game approach to handling players.

Who would have ever thought (back when UND was thinking of transitioning to DI) the University of North Dakota would be in a Division I basketball conference in which a conference mate made it to the Sweet 16 in Women's Basketball!
Amazing!

Even more amazing is that it would be South Dakota State doing it! :huh:

Nice run by the Jacks. I think a rising (conference) tide lifts all boats (as long as your name isn't "NDSU").
Same reason I cheer for NCHC schools. 

For comparison, (if my research is correct) no Big Sky womens basketball team has ever made it to the Sweet 16, especially not since the time the Dakotas started taking over and transforming the Summit League into a mid major power!

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

It looks like Larsen at NDSU is intending to put out their dumpster fire in their program.  Four assistant DI coaches are finalists, including one at Kansas and Nebraska.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/basketball/1007587-Four-Division-I-assistants-finalists-for-head-Bison-womens-basketball-coach

Look like only one has head coaching experience and let's not forget their previous two head coaches were assistants at P5 schools (Utah and Penn State). That being said, it looks like they got some decent candidates. 

Depending on the hire, they are on the brink of only having 1 head coach who is female. Can't wait to see the reporting on that :silly:

• Upvote 1