SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 NCAA Tournament - Worst to First

MafiaMan

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I'm trying to imagine a Michigan football fan rooting for Ohio State or Michigan State to win the NCAA football championship simply because they both play in the B1G...does not compute.

So you think the Minnesota Gopher fans will be cheering for the Dogs? Especially being there are 3 other teams from the B1G in the Froz4? Not so fast with your computing?

The majority of the Goof's message boards posters sure aren't supporting the Dogs, it's mostly about some team from the B1G winning the Natty!

Today at the X.

ESPN2 @ 5:00 PM.   Go Sandelin (UND'86), Go Dogs, Go Duluth, Go NCHC.

ESPN2 @ 8:30 PM.   1st Priorty is Michigan slips on the ice, getting toooo close to #10.

19 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

let's go Irish!!!!! We are...ND. 

I'll tag along, going for ND in both games.

Coach Sandelin: His senior year at North Dakota he was chosen as a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award, ALL-WCHA First Team, All American Second team, and the MVP of the Fighting Sioux.

Cheering agaisnt Michigan = cheering for Notre Dame.

16 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Three Big 10 teams and the Gophers' less desirable sister playing in St. Paul. Whoever wins, U of MN loses. Duluth winning would make the .0001 that much more difficult for them to swallow, much like 0.6 would be had Union not run the train on 'em. 

Like your analogy! If Sandelin wins it @ the X, the .0001 will be a heart shot. Lucia already dropped.

10 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

So you think the Minnesota Gopher fans will be cheering for the Dogs? Especially being there are 3 other teams from the B1G in the Froz4? Not so fast with your computing?

The majority of the Goof's message boards posters sure aren't supporting the Dogs, it's mostly about some team from the B1G winning the Natty!

Today at the X.

ESPN2 @ 5:00 PM.   Go Sandelin (UND'86), Go Dogs, Go Duluth, Go NCHC.

ESPN2 @ 8:30 PM.   1st Priorty is Michigan slips on the ice, getting toooo close to #10.

So Gopher fans are cheering for the three other teams because they love the B1G?

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Yes, they also want a B1G Froz4 winner to help heal some of the transition wounds. 

Gopher fans wanting a B1G team to win the Frozen Four has NOTHING to do with transition wounds or a love of their conference and EVERYTHING to do with their hatred of schools they view as beneath them -- like UMD.  

My dream Frozen Four that would cause multiple heart attacks in Gopher-land would be St Cloud State, UMD, Wisconsin, and North Dakota.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So Gopher fans are cheering for the three other teams because they love the B1G?

Many are there. Here is a recent Gopher poster:

"I miss the old rivals, but have always said that the B1G will be the premiere college hockey conference. The old rivals in the WCHA and the NCHC were hurt more by losing the U and UW than the other way around. It took a few years for the B1G schools to catch-up, but with ND it is a monster conference."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

"I miss the old rivals, but have always said that the B1G will be the premiere college hockey conference. The old rivals in the WCHA and the NCHC were hurt more by losing the U and UW than the other way around. It took a few years for the B1G schools to catch-up, but with ND it is a monster conference."

That sounds like DaveK.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

"The old rivals in the WCHA and the NCHC were hurt more by losing the U and UW than the other way around."

I can’t recall, but which conference has won the last couple NCAA titles?

The B10 needed to steal a program from HEA to help turn their conference around. :)

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

I can’t recall, but which conference has won the last couple NCAA titles?

The B10 needed to steal a program from HEA to help turn their conference around. :)

I think your wrong on 2 parts there, you know who won the last Nattys and B1G didn't steal Norte Dame, affliated.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the NCHC wins another title on Saturday, and that would have to be through Sandelin.

I am not cheering for the B1Gmh, just pointed out some obsrvations, but at one point I did wish we somehow got in with them, as an affiliate, under some reasonalbe terms, but not going to happen anymore?

Part of what I'm saying is that more and more of their fans realize the B1Gmh is here to stay and are circleing their wagons around the B1Gmh. A potential serious enemy.

I just can't find a lot to be excited about today. I have been suffering from a debilitating cold and my don't give a flying "F" is pretty high right now. 

I guess I find the Bulldogs the least offensive of the four teams. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Part of what I'm saying is that more and more of their fans realize the B1Gmh is here to stay and are circleing their wagons around the B1Gmh. A potential serious enemy.

And no matter how much national success the B1G has, their programs will remain third-rate on their respective campuses (behind MBB and FB). And that is why I am against ever joining that conference.

• Upvote 2

In the Big 10, hockey takes a back seat to football and basketball.  But that doesn't mean the conference is not strong.  The BTHC will battle the NCHC for the best conference in college hockey year in and year out.  This year, it was better.  3rd rate or not, the BTHC is not the laughing stock anymore.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

In the Big 10, hockey takes a back seat to football and basketball.  But that doesn't mean the conference is not strong.  The BTHC will battle the NCHC for the best conference in college hockey year in and year out.  This year, it was better.  3rd rate or not, the BTHC is not the laughing stock anymore.

No, but I would rather be in a conference where hockey is king and not a red-headed stepchild.

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The old rivals in the WCHA and the NCHC were hurt more by losing the U and UW than the other way around.

There is some truth to this, too.  The problem with the NCHC is not the quality of hockey, but the lack of big names behind it.  Any conference would be strengthened by Minny's and Wisco's hockey resumes and big-time athletics departments.

9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The schools with the big endowments will win more times than not. They have the money to treat the athletes like royalty.

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

No, but I would rather be in a conference where hockey is king and not a red-headed stepchild.

18 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Well, it’s easy to have Hockey be king when at least 3 of the 8 schools in your conference don’t have football... 

Well, to be fair, the B1G has 4 schools that don't have football...Illinois, Maryland, Rutgers, and Minnesota.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1