SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 NCAA Tournament - Worst to First

MafiaMan

6 hours ago, Big Green said:

I guess I don't see them as a passionate rival.  They are more like a little brother.  When competing head to head I want to beat them, but I hope they beat everyone else.  

Until the little brother wins another NCAA championship, then they become a pain in the a** and yap about it non-stop for a year... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Until the little brother wins another NCAA championship, then they become a pain in the a** and yap about it non-stop for a year... 

No Big Deal.  If any of the Big Ten teams win we will hear how great the Big Ten is for the next year.  If it makes you fill better point out 8>2.  I guess I just Hate the Big Ten more than I hate Duluth.  The reason UND fans hate Duluth is because when they take cheap shots there is nothing we can do about it.  Our PP sucks, and we are no longer a tough team.  Either make they pay for it with PP goal or kick their ass.  If we get in a special teams battle with Duluth we will lose every time.

21 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

1. Notre Dame -- I'd actually find it really funny if they came in and won all the team trophies in the BiG in their first year. Feels like a slap in the face to the conference and that's great.

I think I've settled on rooting for Notre Dame for this reason.  They've been close a few times (championship game in 2008, semifinal games in 2011, 2017, 2018), and having another big name school be relevant at hockey is good for the sport.  I still wish the NCHC would have snagged them.  I think it would have been worth it, even having to bow to their demands.

2 hours ago, Big Green said:

No Big Deal.  If any of the Big Ten teams win we will hear how great the Big Ten is for the next year.  If it makes you fill better point out 8>2.  I guess I just Hate the Big Ten more than I hate Duluth.  The reason UND fans hate Duluth is because when they take cheap shots there is nothing we can do about it.  Our PP sucks, and we are no longer a tough team.  Either make they pay for it with PP goal or kick their ass.  If we get in a special teams battle with Duluth we will lose every time.

Honestly, they probably have been the better conference this year by a slim margin. I'll pull for the meteor then Notre Dame or OSU.

4/3. Michigan/Duluth: They both suck. I dislike Michigan less, but don't want to see them get more championships. That being said, I still think we will surpass them with championships at some point here.

1/2. Notre Dame/Ohio State: Not a fan of either. Don't really care who wins. I guess I'd prefer Ohio St. The gold helmets are disgusting; their players should all get penalties for wearing them, and the program should be subject to NCAA sanctions for being hostile and abusive.

What a boring Frozen Four. Is it October yet?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

4/3. Michigan/Duluth: They both suck. I dislike Michigan less, but don't want to see them get more championships. That being said, I still think we will surpass them with championships at some point here.

1/2. Notre Dame/Ohio State: Not a fan of either. Don't really care who wins. I guess I'd prefer Ohio St. The gold helmets are disgusting; their players should all get penalties for wearing them, and the program should be subject to NCAA sanctions for being hostile and abusive.

This parity seems to be setting in, Nattys going to be harder and harder to get. Michigan has to fall?

We also snapped our streak of getting into the NCAAs. Who would of taught, no Minn, BU, and NDak?

6 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

100% agree with this and Michigan's helmets are nearly as bad.  Now to clean up the Coke that I spit all over my monitor.....

I think it would be better if Notre Dame won, just because it was their first year in the Big Ten.  That should hardly count.  ;)  But I don't know, I didn't watch much of it, but seeing how Ohio State dismantled Denver makes me think they'll be tough. . . it almost looked like a Big Ten team playing DEFENSE?! 

P.S.  I really wish Air Force was there. . . . :( 

20 minutes ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

I think it would be better if Notre Dame won, just because it was their first year in the Big Ten.  That should hardly count.  ;)  But I don't know, I didn't watch much of it, but seeing how Ohio State dismantled Denver makes me think they'll be tough. . . it almost looked like a Big Ten team playing DEFENSE?! 

P.S.  I really wish Air Force was there. . . . :( 

I like your Notre Dame reasoning, should hardly count as a B1G team? And, most players were from another conference, and etc. 

So now, I'm still for Duluth, - - -  cuz - - - NCHC team, UND coach, and etc. I don't buy the dirty player stuff, we were there for many years.

But, take backup winner Notre Dame,  - - -  for reason you mentioned.

17 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I like your Notre Dame reasoning, should hardly count as a B1G team? And, most players were from another conference, and etc. 

So now, I'm still for Duluth, - - -  cuz - - - NCHC team, UND coach, and etc. I don't buy the dirty player stuff, we were there for many years.

We were where?

I have no problem if a team is very physical and occasionally crossing the line with a play that could be considered cheap.

UMD adds in things like running the goalie and diving, which makes them a team that I can't cheer for.

16 minutes ago, franchise said:

We were where?

I have no problem if a team is very physical and occasionally crossing the line with a play that could be considered cheap.

UMD adds in things like running the goalie and diving, which makes them a team that I can't cheer for.

Would agree on these two points, especially diving - that's more of a new thing. 

Give you one example, occasionally crossing the line isn't punching someone to start fights.

We had our various reputations over the years. I remember we used to laugh at how soft the teams out east were. Some other teams taught negatively of us.

With all that, I have no problem cheering on Duluth, and that's only because we are not there.

On 3/27/2018 at 11:24 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

WHY WOULD YOU CHEER FOR A DIRECT AND PASSIONATE RIVAL?!?!?! I just cannot understand this. As a Yankee fan, this is like cheering for the Red Sox.  

This describes our relationship with Minnesota-Twin Cities. I don't know if it describes our relationship with Minnesota-Duluth. #justmy2cents

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This describes our relationship with Minnesota-Twin Cities. I don't know if it describes our relationship with Minnesota-Duluth. #justmy2cents

Yeah, but many of us hate UMD also. I’ve hated them and their stupid fans since the 2009 Final Five, and you couldn’t pay me to cheer for them.

In fact, I’d rather stick pins in my eyes. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2018 at 10:49 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

The past three seasons, it's on par, at least for me.

On 3/29/2018 at 4:30 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I still don't get the argument of cheering for our conference rivals. They are our biggest rivals outside of Minny. Why do we want them to win? The NCHC is already recognized as the toughest in college hockey. I'm gonna vomit if Duluth wins.

If UND was in the Big Ten, in ten years UND fans would come to hate all those teams and their fans too.

If UND played Notre Dame in conference play the past twenty years instead of UMD, more UND fans would be cheering for UMD next weekend.

I'll cheer for a small school like UMD any day over, we have so much money we don't know what to do with it all, Notre Dame ("Our $11 Billion endowment only puts us in the top 10 Richest schools"), Michigan ("Lets go win the Final and Frozen Four"), or Ohio State ("Our football team is valued at $1.5 Billion, the highest of any such program in the country").

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Much as I hate to say it I have to go with UMD, I despise the Big Ten Conference, the only way I would ever cheer for a big ten team is if they were Playing Boston College or Boston University .... or any team from Mass-hole land.

How about Holy Cross?