SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

Dustin

Sorry for the long string of posts, but my conclusion is this:  Both UND and NDSU have had some recent success in VB, and if either team were to host the tournament soon, I think the attendance #s would set records, and possibly set up a permanent hosting site, like the SLT is for Basketball.  Money talks.

I'd prefer USD host first, and the Jacks fans would attend, even if their team sucks, and  a similar result might happen.  The main issue with Vermillion hosting, though is air access and lodging for multiple teams.  Most would likely stay in SF.  Summit VB in SF would be massive, but I'm sure would be met with much angst from other teams.  Fargo or Grand Forks as a permanent site would draw a lot of fans, I bet.

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Hosting in the Dakotas makes sense.  

UND hosted the big sky tournament in 2016.  Not sure official total attendance.  But in the three games UND played, they recorded 727, 789, and 1,512 for official attendance for those games.  Totaling 3,028.

I had to confirm those attendance numbers for myself, because I remember the place being a lot fuller.  Hopefully the tournament will be in Grand Forks this year! Hosting the tournament is a really fun experience.

4 hours ago, goyotes said:

Tournament will be in Denver this season.  Volleyball, along with soccer, softball and baseball, play their tournament at the home field/court of the previous regular season champion.  

So it will be in Grand Forks next season, good to know.:D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Big game Wednesday- home versus su. I hope for a sellout loud crowd and a three set beat down of the bisons 

My understanding is that Champions Club members won’t get in free to the NDSU game.  Those fans will have to pay instead of reaping a perk.  That could greatly increase the actual volleyball gate, but piss off some members and probably not result in a sell out.  The teams performance is way down from last year too.

Chaves is raising more money for volleyball.

12 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Interesting about the champions club. Thanks for the heads up. Agree we are a little down so far this year. Su is down further with a 2-11 record.

Agree that Vb is down, but the future looks fantastic with all the freshman and sophs getting major playing time.  Will take time to jell.  Roosa and Brynn and the gal from Nebraska are major building blocks for the next four conference seasons.

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Haven’t watched us play this year. Is Frasse  playing time this year less than last year?

Fraase has played in most sets.  Taliyah Flores, the freshman from Nebraska, has been awarded the libero position though and has played in almost all sets.  Flores got the Summit defensive POW last week:  http://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/wvball/2018-19/releases/20180917k9p147

The PUFW offensive POW had another big day against UND.

On 9/23/2018 at 9:22 PM, SiouxVolley said:

My understanding is that Champions Club members won’t get in free to the NDSU game.  Those fans will have to pay instead of reaping a perk.  That could greatly increase the actual volleyball gate, but piss off some members and probably not result in a sell out.  The teams performance is way down from last year too.

Chaves is raising more money for volleyball.

This is not new and has been the case for at least the last year or two. It will still sell out or be close.