Clemson

Pitt

The “high” G5 are:

Rice

USF

Charlotte

UAB

La Tech

Green Bay always provides good competition.

The Thursday night games have been historically bad draws.  Sunday afternoons will normally be a hit with the high schools gals, as they can’t make most weekday matches.  The Saturday morning games were at a bad time, but especially when football had a game.  Think avoiding Saturday morning and Thursday matches mean higher attendance.

There are issues at EWU regarding volleyball and an illegal payment for a freshman player for summer workouts.  The head coach and an assistant have been fired.  EWU Vb is coming to the Betty in August.  Supposedly, under Chaves, that program went haywire.  A former coach blames Chaves, but he might just want to get back at him.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jun/02/investigation-of-eastern-washington-volleyball-unc/

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sydney Mattson departure seems a pretty big surprise to me.  Leaves us with zero setters with college experience....

Not a good problem to have, although Mattson didn't have that much game experience in the two years she did play.  An inconsistent setter can derail any team. Hope one of those two can grab the job by the throat and run with it.  UND has been spoiled for the last 7 years with great setter play. 

For the FB Team it is Oline, Oline, Oline

For the VB Team: it is setter, setter, setter. 

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sydney Mattson departure seems a pretty big surprise to me.  Leaves us with zero setters with college experience....

When Pryor signed the Finnish National Jr Team setter and Vetter at Setter from Fargo Shanley the same day, figured the existing setters did not cut the mustard.  The recruit from Kasson-Mantorville can also set, but she’s not coming until next year.

47 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

When Pryor signed the Finnish National Jr Team setter and Vetter at Setter from Fargo Shanley the same day, figured the existing setters did not cut the mustard.  The recruit from Kasson-Mantorville can also set, but she’s not coming until next year.

It's interesting that her brother also decomitted from the hockey team in December.  Related or coincidence? 

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Looks like UND and Denver will be striking up a rivalry on the volleyball hardwood in addition to the ice.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/wvball/2018-19/releases/20180816le9fyp

The Summit League Preseason Volleyball Poll

1. Denver

2. UND

3. Omaha

4. South Dakota

T6. NDSU

9. Western Ill.

About where I expected them to be.  I don't expect them to win the regular season title, but they could challenge for the tourney title. It all comes down for me about who establishes themselves as the starting setter. UND has been spoiled for the past 7 years of good to great setter play, can that continue?

I'd say another 20+ win season (around 22-25 wins) is in the cards.

First time logging in for a while - wow!   Did not realize we had lost Johnson and Mattson over the summer.  Green/White scrimmage is tonight, and I will give updates between sets.  Looking forward to owning the Summit in volleyball :)

• Upvote 2

So, accept my apologies for such a delayed posting (got caught up in a work issue).  My biggest takeaways of the night are:

Kayla Williams (UConn transfer) was the star of the night. By my count, she had 14 kills, 2 errors, 2 blocks, and 2 service aces.  She can jump serve.

The other players with the most attempts were Jordan Vail, obviously, (8 kills, 2 errors, 4 blocks), and Lydia Rutten (9 kills, 3 errors, 3 blocks).

Ashley Bruggeman and Brynn Nieukirk had quietly good nights with 13 kills, 0 errors, and 3 blocks between the two of them.  0 errors really stands out to me.

Lexi Ahrens had a slow start, but ended with 7 kills, 4 errors, and 4 blocks.

Roosa Rautio was the setter on the winning team for all three sets, so my guess is that's who gets the starting job.

Alivia Fraase was solid defensively, as expected.

I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan Hunt redshirts.  She's tall (6'3"), but needs some meat on the bones.

My guess at the starting line-up is Rautio, Fraase, Vail, Bruggeman, Williams, Rutten, and Nieukirk.

• Upvote 3