SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

Dustin

On 11/18/2018 at 5:39 PM, SiouxVolley said:

USD actually beat Denver in Denver in five sets to gain the Summit League autobid.

Good for them.  Does that mean the Summit tournament for 2019 is in Vermillion (tournament champ) or Denver (regular season champ)?

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

Good for them.  Does that mean the Summit tournament for 2019 is in Vermillion (tournament champ) or Denver (regular season champ)?

Denver.  I think a number sports in the conference are set up that way.  I'd love to have Vermillion host the Tourney.  I think you would see quite a bit more attendance overall with proximity to the three largest-attendance VB schools (UND, NDSU, UNO).  Hopefully this championship will help increase the fan base in Vermillion as well.

10 hours ago, Dustin said:

Also, what are the takeaways from 2018?  Sadly, I didn't much to be excited about in the future.  Another performance like 2018 and I will have to question Pryor's recruiting ability.

My take is that one transfer can louse up the entire team’s chemistry.  That’s where Pryor has to better, especially in getting a player leader to step up.  He’s probably looking again to get a Merseli type to transfer.

• 4 weeks later...

I so far have one criticism of him and may effect his recruiting kids here from rest of the country. I heard last year when we were on Pluto Tv his description of Grand Forks and North Dakota  how we were so cold and so far north that it was not place to come to. He even said this several time to various announcers especially when they were on the west coast in California or Oregon. These announcers then followed through on this how anyone would want to come to North Dakota play and go to school compared to their climates.  I also got from his interviews feeling he had problems with North Dakota weather and being in it and it was not like Texas. I guess my feeling is sell the positives of what we have here at UND and yes we do have cold weather but we have some beautiful other seasons here also and community that welcomes its athletes and treats them like family. This is my criticism it may be over exaggerated point of view but I do think little things like this effect program. His predecessor did excellent job of recruiting which he did fine job of coaching that talent but other side of college coaching is the recruiting and selling yourself and the school to get players to compete year in year out. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, lawkota said:

Pryor adds an Associate Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator.  Jeremiah Tiffin  They coached together at Baylor.

Does anyone know if this is an addition to the staff or are one of the current assistants leaving?

Don’t know about anyone leaving, but Tiffin is from Winnipeg, and Canada has some good prospects.

• Upvote 1