SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 West Regional - Attendance

NoiseInsideMyHead

Attendance at 2018 West Regional in Sioux Falls  

100 members have voted

1. 1. In light of UND's historic NCAA streak coming to an end, are you still planning to attend the 2018 West Regional in Sioux Falls?

• Yes - obtained tickets before UND was eliminated
    • Yes - obtained tickets after UND eliminated
    • Yes - haven't obtained tickets yet
    • No - obtained tickets before UND was eliminated, but not using
    • No - deferred ticket decision until after UND eliminated, decided not to go
    • No - never intended to go regardless
    • Don't know / not decided
    • Yes, but only if I cannot unload my tickets

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/23/2018 at 05:00 PM

14 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Ralston's too small, I don't know what else would be a viable option there.  

Mid-America Center across the river in Councils Bluffs (6,700).

Ralston would still have more people then most Regionals do (4,000).

10 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Mid-America Arena across the river in Councils Bluffs (6,700).

Ralston would still have more people then most Regionals do (4,000).

Is there a minimum seating capacity to host?  Scheels Arena is only ~6,500 right?  

8 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Is there a minimum seating capacity to host?  Scheels Arena is only ~6,500 right?  

Scheels is 5,000 if I remember right. 

Minimum is 5,000 from what has been said. 

Edit: Scheels is 6,000

Edit: Edit: Scheels is 5,000 for hockey.

6 hours ago, southpaw said:

If CC gets this on-campus arena built in the next few years, the Broadmoor World Arena could host.

You think they would host a regional on Olympic ice?  I wonder about that.  They could, but would they?

Went to Sioux Falls this weekend and had a great time.  Usually shut down hockey season after the Sioux are out, but we had tickets, were staying w/ friends and taking the kids.  It was helpful that there was a team to cheer for (GO AIR FORCE!!), so we Amazon 2-dayed (not sure if that's a word!) our Air Force shirts and cheered like crazy when they beat St. Cloud.  Tough beat vs. Duluth, but I suppose it was a little expected.  All the kids thought the refs weren't exactly Air Force fans though!  The Denny was nice, w/ the to be expected couple of glitches due to learning all the crazy NCAA rules.  (We got covers and straws for our drink cups on Sat.)  I still never did find a program, but the kids had fun, my 5 year old got an Air Force puck (super cool!) and the roads weren't too bad on the way home to Bismarck . . .. just a bad stretch around Valley City, then it cleared up closer to Jamestown.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Siouxman said:

You think they would host a regional on Olympic ice?  I wonder about that.  They could, but would they?

The ECHC plays their final games on Olympic ice, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I thought World Arena was going to go to a NHL ice sheet. 

First time at Denny Sanford Premier arena … arena it’s self was nice and modern, the concourse on the  other hand was a cluster f%&k…I can’t even imagine what it would have been like if UND had made it, there were lines for everything and lots of the concessions were not open on Friday.

My thanks to the couple sitting in row B section 118 for letting us use their extra tickets so we could leave between games and enjoy some beverages at the Sheraton watering hole….also big thanks to Fernson Brewery for having a $5 beverage table at the Sheraton, and for staying open as late as possible.  It was a good weekend of hockey and AirForce quickly became the UND fan fav … the cheering after their first SOG of the game in the second period and the USA chant after they scored were priceless

edit: I believe announced attendance Friday was around 7900 and Sat. a little over 8000

Yeah, it got a little long not being able to leave between games.  Especially if you had kids with you.  Our friends go to a lot of USHL games there, so we knew a couple tricks (like where the big bucket nachos were, they were pretty good.  Not the Ralph's brisket nachos, but we can't hold them to that standard).  It's probably ok for them that UND didn't make it the first time they hosted, just so they could practice w/ a little smaller attendance.  (Not so good for Sioux fans, of course.) 

8 hours ago, Siouxman said:

5 hours ago, cberkas said:

The ECHC plays their final games on Olympic ice, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I thought World Arena was going to go to a NHL ice sheet. 

I could of sworn I read somewhere that the NCAA requires regional sites(and the Frozen Four for that matter) to be held only at arenas with NHL sized sheets.