SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

4 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Adams leaves, Islanders prospect.  Snow is not an NCAA fan and may not care for him not developing.

Don't know if he's not an NCAA fan, as he played for Maine and has drafted NCAA players, but would hope a later round pick isn't expected to develop fast.  

We as fans (and coaches?) fall in love with the "hard-working third and fourth line" guys.
Well, right about now it feels like we have 12 or 15 forwards that are bottom six guys. 

Traditionally, post-sophomore year is when guys are 'evaluated' and may move on. 

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We as fans (and coaches?) fall in love with the "hard-working third and fourth line" guys.
Well, right about now it feels like we have 12 or 15 forwards that are bottom six guys. 

Traditionally, post-sophomore year is when guys are 'evaluated' and may move on. 

This with Adams, Tambellini being the exception, it's rare to see guys leave after their Freshman year (or during in Tambellini's case), because of playing time. If things are the same after his Sophomore year, then I'm sure there would be a discussion. I'd be shocked if Adams left.

6 hours ago, cberkas said:

They have a 4 year window to sign, Gersich’s ends this summer. So Wolanin has next summer to sign since he was drafted a year later the Shane.

If a Player drafted at age 20 or older is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection or becomes a bona fide college student while his drafting Club retains exclusive rights, then his drafting Club shall retain those rights until the later of: (a) the second June 1 following the date of his selection, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility and the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year, or (2) is in his fourth year of college, is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year and the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year, or (3) remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2) or (3), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including August 15 of that calendar year.

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Back on track...

Hold a 3-goal lead in Miami.

We're there.

I just don't understand why everyone feels the sky is falling.

Because we couldn't hold a 3 goal lead on the worst team in the league with so much on the line.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish said:

Because we couldn't hold a 3 goal lead on the worst team in the league with so much on the line.  

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

:huh:

Did you watch any games since the Christmas break?  To say this team puked away the 2nd half of the season is an understatement.

One season. One. Average. Season. In which we could have EASILY made the tournament.

If the same thing happens next year -- we blow an insane amount of leads, we don't get forward scoring, etc., etc. -- then I'll be concerned. This board is just REFUSING to see this as anything but a potential aberration. Do you all honestly believe we'll blow 6 2+ goal leads next year? 

It's ridiculous that some have already waived the white flag on NEXT season. It's crazy! We're assuming our players won't develop. HOW are we assuming this kind of stuff when we've had one season below our standards in 16 years??? HOW? 

JUST CALM DOWN.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Back on track...

Hold a 3-goal lead in Miami.

We're there.

I just don't understand why everyone feels the sky is falling.

The sky is not "falling"......yet.

But there are some serious red flags that need to be addressed before we get stuck in a hole that will be hard to get out of.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

One season. One. Average. Season. In which we could have EASILY made the tournament.

If the same thing happens next year -- we blow an insane amount of leads, we don't get forward scoring, etc., etc. -- then I'll be concerned. This board is just REFUSING to see this as anything but a potential aberration. Do you all honestly believe we'll blow 6 2+ goal leads next year? 

It's ridiculous that some have already waived the white flag on NEXT season. It's crazy! We're assuming our players won't develop. HOW are we assuming this kind of stuff when we've had one season below our standards in 16 years??? HOW? 

JUST CALM DOWN.

I agree with you on this point. We don't know what will happen to the underclassmen next year. But their lack of improvement throughout the course of this year is what is alarming people.

• Upvote 1

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

The sky is not "falling"......yet.

But there are some serious red flags that need to be addressed before we get stuck in a hole that will be hard to get out of.

What are the red flags? We have a bunch of recruits (stud D men, I might add) that we have NO clue if they are going to be stars. We all liked Hoff when he came in from the USHL and he's not yet lived up to billing. We've also had guys like Connor Gaarder come in and light it up as a senior. There's just so much assumption on here. 

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you on this point. We don't know what will happen to the underclassmen next year. But their lack of improvement throughout the course of this year is what is alarming people.

Our Sophs this year and some of our Juniors had a rough year, no doubt, but what about the growth of a guy like Kawaguchi? What about Kierstad? Man, this is exhausting. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

What are the red flags? We have a bunch of recruits (stud D men, I might add) that we have NO clue if they are going to be stars. We all liked Hoff when he came in from the USHL and he's not yet lived up to billing. We've also had guys like Connor Gaarder come in and light it up as a senior. There's just so much assumption on here. 

All the blown leads.

The inconsistency.

Repeating the same damaging mistakes over and over again.

Need I go on?

???

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

All the blown leads.

The inconsistency.

Repeating the same damaging mistakes over and over again.

Need I go on?

???

Again, these are all assuming that these things will happen for a second-straight season, which is absolute insane considering we've had 16-straight tourney appearances. Some assuming our team won't improve and that goes against what our program has done for YEARS, develop NHL-ready players.

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, these are all assuming that these things will happen for a second-straight season, which is absolute insane considering we've had 16-straight tourney appearances. 

Didn't last season have issues, are you stating that if year 3 doesn't step up you will worry?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tnt said:

Don't know if he's not an NCAA fan, as he played for Maine and has drafted NCAA players, but would hope a later round pick isn't expected to develop fast.  

See Kyle Oksposo....

general manager Garth Snow told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "Quite frankly, we weren't happy with the program. They have a responsibility to coach, to make Kyle a better player, and they were not doing that.

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Connor Gaarder was a nice player, but he never really lit it up.  But since you brought him up, that is exactly the problem with the team this year and more than likely next year.  It is loaded with a bunch of Connor Gaarder skill level players (3rd/4th line blue collar players).  This team needs some juice and the scary part is several of the guys most capable of providing it were healthy scratches at the end (Hoff, Adams).

• Upvote 1