SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Look at the program he took over....not a great comparison with our program.  Bubs inherited a gem.  Don’t want to get into the fire Bubs argument however I simply wanted to point out the error in the comparison. 

Fair point.   But he has had significant stretches of unsatisfactory hockey and an overall mediocre record making the tourney. 

16 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hopefully he goes the way of Frattin ...

That's the problem. 

We haven't had a lawn mower tossin' man for a while. Can I at least get someone to freeze off a couple toes walking barefoot across a golf course in January? 

Will someone at least take a freakin' leak in an elevator!!! 

Maybe they can hold a Sunday night Judy's team meeting to discuss this and then get 'chauffeured' by GFPD. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's the problem. 

We haven't had a lawn mower tossin' man for a while. Can I at least get someone to freeze off a couple toes walking barefoot across a golf course in January? 

Will someone at least take a freakin' leak in an elevator!!! 

Maybe they can hold a Sunday night Judy's team meeting to discuss this and then get 'chauffeured' by GFPD. 

Staging a lawn mower throwing contest takes a little crazy cockiness.  They could definitely use a little more of that.

On February 19, 2019 at 9:27 AM, AJS said:

I can see both sides,:

Do I think it's premature to fire the coach? Yes.

Do I think missing the tournament two years in a row is acceptable? No.

Do I believe they've fallen as far as some want to believe? No

Do I believe they will be back next year? Yes

What my problem is currently is nobody is asking the tough questions and putting any pressure on this coaching staff. The local media just makes excuses for why things are happening.  The latest "look where Michigan, Boston and Minnesota" spin really pissed me off. Ultimately, I fell there's no accountability being taken by the coaching staff and there's nobody that will but pressure on them.

If you don't think there is pressure on these guys you are mistaken. Every decision administration makes must be with what is best for the program. This coaching staff is evaluated every year and they will be asked what went wrong and what ithe corrective action plans ill be. They will also review what goes well and how to build on that success  and continue to improve.  Most of the pressure is self induced from  the coaches themselves, who want the kids and program to succeed. The difference is that they  have a horse in the race.  We are just watching.  Your "problem that nobody is asking the tough questions and putting any pressure on the coaching staff" is not what should occur. It should be worded " someone needs to be asking the tough questions and asking what else they/we can do to support the coaches and the program to help them succeed".   

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I’ll see your lawn mower throwing contest and raise you a moped DWI...

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/09/01/gopher-hockey-player-suspended-after-dwi/

I had to Google this kid since I'd never heard of him.  Looks like the MN CBS story spelled his name wrong.
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/118431/gabe-guertler

2 hours ago, George M. Bluth said:

I had to Google this kid since I'd never heard of him.  Looks like the MN CBS story spelled his name wrong.
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/118431/gabe-guertler

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Holy cow. Someone bolted for MJ and the took advantage of the education package. It's like a unicorn

I would have took him at UND for how high end he was suppose to be.

13 hours ago, iramurphy said:

If you don't think there is pressure on these guys you are mistaken. Every decision administration makes must be with what is best for the program. This coaching staff is evaluated every year and they will be asked what went wrong and what ithe corrective action plans ill be. They will also review what goes well and how to build on that success  and continue to improve.  Most of the pressure is self induced from  the coaches themselves, who want the kids and program to succeed. The difference is that they  have a horse in the race.  We are just watching.  Your "problem that nobody is asking the tough questions and putting any pressure on the coaching staff" is not what should occur. It should be worded " someone needs to be asking the tough questions and asking what else they/we can do to support the coaches and the program to help them succeed".   

This may be true, but we don't have to look any farther than Football Bubba to see an example of a UND coach who had crappy special teams and a flawed offensive philosophy who stubbornly refused to make any changes for far too long and was allowed to stand pat until things were really in the toilet.  There is a huge difference between coaches feeling some pressure to do well and having the self-awareness to honestly evaluate what is going on in the program and then make the necessary changes.  Some very good sports minds are hampered by a stubborn refusal to change even in the face of strong evidence.  I hope Hockey Bubs is not one of them, but there is mounting evidence that he is (see power play for an example). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

This may be true, but we don't have to look any farther than Football Bubba to see an example of a UND coach who had crappy special teams and a flawed offensive philosophy who stubbornly refused to make any changes for far too long and was allowed to stand pat until things were really in the toilet.  There is a huge difference between coaches feeling some pressure to do well and having the self-awareness to honestly evaluate what is going on in the program and then make the necessary changes.  Some very good sports minds are hampered by a stubborn refusal to change even in the face of strong evidence.  I hope Hockey Bubs is not one of them, but there is mounting evidence that he is (see power play for an example). 

Im not sure how much of the power play falls on Bubs... is that more Shaw? I think Bubs has divided out his coaching duties pretty well with his staff. IMO that's a great culture. if you look at most college power plays, they revolve around a STAR, I.e. Boeser and his bolstering one timers a couple years back. As for a game plan Bubs has always been known to switch things up with his lines etc..This team will be so competitive next year with these last two classes getting another year older.. they just have to STAY! look at our national championship team (besides the NHL talent.. I know) but they had a lot of older leadership. 

1 hour ago, oldSioux said:

Im not sure how much of the power play falls on Bubs... is that more Shaw? I think Bubs has divided out his coaching duties pretty well with his staff. IMO that's a great culture. if you look at most college power plays, they revolve around a STAR, I.e. Boeser and his bolstering one timers a couple years back. As for a game plan Bubs has always been known to switch things up with his lines etc..This team will be so competitive next year with these last two classes getting another year older.. they just have to STAY! look at our national championship team (besides the NHL talent.. I know) but they had a lot of older leadership. 

If the power play falls on Shaw then why is he still here - and more importantly, will he be here again next year?  This has the makings of a Rudy situation all over again.  You don't have to look further back than last game to see how much our PP costs us.  Also, you can switch lines, but if your offense relies on chipping it in it is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic (no, I don't equate our program with the Titanic, just using because it is an interesting metaphor).  The big question is can Berry make the necessary adjustments?  At this point no one knows. 

1 hour ago, Irish said:

If the power play falls on Shaw then why is he still here - and more importantly, will he be here again next year?  This has the makings of a Rudy situation all over again.  You don't have to look further back than last game to see how much our PP costs us.  Also, you can switch lines, but if your offense relies on chipping it in it is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic (no, I don't equate our program with the Titanic, just using because it is an interesting metaphor).  The big question is can Berry make the necessary adjustments?  At this point no one knows. 

Ha. fair enough, guess I looked at the line adjustments as Berry trying to find a "winning formula". Our offensive strategy is one of cat and mouse and is not efficient... that much is frustrating to watch. As for Shaw, his PP mind, is not the greatest. But defensively, I think its fair to say hes done a pretty good job. whether that is the amount of talent we boast there or hes doing something right... maybe bring in a PP guy only? Do we have that money to spend? Probably..

12 minutes ago, oldSioux said:

Ha. fair enough, guess I looked at the line adjustments as Berry trying to find a "winning formula". Our offensive strategy is one of cat and mouse and is not efficient... that much is frustrating to watch. As for Shaw, his PP mind, is not the greatest. But defensively, I think its fair to say hes done a pretty good job. whether that is the amount of talent we boast there or hes doing something right... maybe bring in a PP guy only? Do we have that money to spend? Probably..

I guess at this point we are all speculating.  Funny - During Berry's Championship run I thought "at last - a guy who is willing to unleash Hak's talent and let them play".  Now, a few years after the Title I am stunned at how far we have fallen - especially when I thought success would lead to more talent wanting to come here.  Our team is just tough to watch.  I just can't figure out how it happened so fast.   Does Berry have a good handle on this and a plan to improve - we don't know and get little to no insight from the program or sportscasters.  This leads to much negative speculation.  On the positive side we do have a great defense and goalie and a loaded group coming in - on the negative side none of the guys we have brought in to score have been doing much at all.  To be honest, I thought with all of the coaching experience we have things would be much better by now.   It it talent? system? bad luck? Are we really close or regressing as a program?    I guess we need to hope and pray that Berry has the ability to take a long hard look at things and make the needed changes.  This program can't afford to slide any more.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Irish said:

I guess at this point we are all speculating.  Funny - During Berry's Championship run I thought "at last - a guy who is willing to unleash Hak's talent and let them play".  Now, a few years after the Title I am stunned at how far we have fallen - especially when I thought success would lead to more talent wanting to come here.  Our team is just tough to watch.  I just can't figure out how it happened so fast.   Does Berry have a good handle on this and a plan to improve - we don't know and get little to no insight from the program or sportscasters.  This leads to much negative speculation.  On the positive side we do have a great defense and goalie and a loaded group coming in - on the negative side none of the guys we have brought in to score have been doing much at all.  To be honest, I thought with all of the coaching experience we have things would be much better by now.   It it talent? system? bad luck? Are we really close or regressing as a program?    I guess we need to hope and pray that Berry has the ability to take a long hard look at things and make the needed changes.  This program can't afford to slide any more.

We cant afford to slide at all... if we are being brutally honest, college's across the country (Western Michigan) and more, are starting to invest more in their hockey programs. Better gear, facilities, ETC. We sell facilities, a chance at a ring, and NHL-like experiences. What happens when we lose "ring chasing" and others get more high-tech facilities. OK, yeah its extreme but its a potential reality. A couple bad seasons and a couple bad classes and now everyone is playing at the U of M.. gross. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldSioux said:

We cant afford to slide at all... if we are being brutally honest, college's across the country (Western Michigan) and more, are starting to invest more in their hockey programs. Better gear, facilities, ETC. We sell facilities, a chance at a ring, and NHL-like experiences. What happens when we lose "ring chasing" and others get more high-tech facilities. OK, yeah its extreme but its a potential reality. A couple bad seasons and a couple bad classes and now everyone is playing at the U of M.. gross. 

This is true. We can’t afford another down yr with the way the landscape is changing regarding $ being spent on programs. I think everything needs a fresh look to see what we can be doing better from recruiting, conditioning, coaching, marketing, operations to the smallest detail. We are either in this to be a giant or fall to the wayside. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2019 at 9:12 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

It's not an inference. it's a statement how I feel about it. It's seems incredibly irrational to have a panic attack bail after two years when we've been so successful for the previous 17.  

You’re not wrong about it being irrational, even though I’d love to see Hak back. The more concerning part than the losses is the lack of grit we have seen over the past two years. The teams seem out skilled and out worked. Even when Haks teams didn’t have as much skill they just seemed to have a different mentality.