SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

12 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Hmnnn...”undisclosed injury.”  Gersich wasn’t back on campus by any chance recently, was he?  Asking for a friend...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Hmnnn...”undisclosed injury.”  Gersich wasn’t back on campus by any chance recently, was he?  Asking for a friend...

Makes me at least consider that Thome’s undisclosed is that he doesn’t see much ice in his future at UND? No matter what we need three capable goalies able to play, not unheard of to have two go down the same week or weekend!

12 hours ago, Hawkster said:

So Barry has no faith in Scheel and Anderson?  

Do you even know what you're posting? Thome is basically done for the year, you cannot go half a season with only two goalies. This isn't Peanuts where they will rotate goalie pads between players..

At one time I believe it was Mike Prpich that was the "dogs and cats" goalie meaning two are hurt, one is playing, and you have to have one dressed on the bench. 

If you only have Scheel and "Bob" and one goes down, then what, ... Mark Senden straps on the "Tools of Ignorance*" and runs the gate?  

*I apply that phrase to goalie gear and catcher's gear. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WiSioux said:

I didn't figure it was good when Thome wasn't even able to go pre-game warm-ups* or run the gate either night. 

*At home you can warm up three goalies. 

5 hours ago, burd said:

What kind of sense does that comment make?

Am I too thick to spot an obvious troll?

Don't answer that.

Gonna answer it anyway.   I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just surprised that Barry is going all out to find a third goalie.   Nothing more.

17 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

... going all out to find a third goalie.   Nothing more.

First, it's a guy they were already looking at. 
Next, find me an NCAA team carrying just two goalies.
Furthermore, the way they run a practice you need three just for the drills.
Finally, I'm happy they could find a guy willing to come in at semester break. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

First, it's a guy they were already looking at. 
Next, find me an NCAA team carrying just two goalies.
Furthermore, the way they run a practice you need three just for the drills.
Finally, I'm happy they could find a guy willing to come in at semester break. 

... Getting him enrolled and in now could be the biggest score this year.

Theres been times when 4 goalies is best for practices and supplement skates.

Actually if he stays for next year.. he could be the 4th.... Scheel Thome Rowe and all... 

Really curious as to the plan for those 3 top end tendies, tough to hold Rowe for another year..

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

Gonna answer it anyway.   I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just surprised that Barry is going all out to find a third goalie.   Nothing more.

A guy in the pipeline is not all out. Effort's been there already. Coaches are trying to remedy a tough situation and they did that with a kid who has the character to potentially give up a semester/half year of eligibility by coming in right now. Not sure about you guys, but that's a guy I want playing for us any day.

• Upvote 3

"All out" seems strong.

Pure supposition by me but I suspect it went something like. 

Scene: Friday Morning, Grand Forks, ND, Ralph Engelstad Arena; a hockey medical and training staff person walks into Brad Berry's office where Dane Jackson and Matt Shaw are making final preparations for a weekend home series. 

Med staff: Uh, Brad?
Berry: Yeah.
Med staff: Thome's done for the year. That bad. 
< long, uncomfortable silence in the room >
Berry: You're sure. 
< med staff stares back with that "we don't kid about injuries" look > 
Berry: < profanity omitted > ... Oh-kay ... < looking to Jackson > ... so, we can't run with two goalies. 
Jackson: No, doesn't work.
Berry: So what's out there that we've looked at and that can get through the clearinghouse for this semester ... 
< all attention turns to the recruits list that Berry has brought out from its secret hiding spot > 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

A guy in the pipeline is not all out. Effort's been there already. Coaches are trying to remedy a tough situation and they did that with a kid who has the character to potentially give up a semester/half year of eligibility by coming in right now. Not sure about you guys, but that's a guy I want playing for us any day.

About that ... Harrison Feeney is 20 today and his DOB is Feb 4, 1998.

If he came in this fall he'd be a 21 year old freshman. I forget the rule about coming in at 21: I think that's where you only have three eligible playing seasons (or is it if you come in at 22 you only get three seasons ... ) 

19 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

But can't find one diamond in the rough forward that could maybe average a point a game?

Just asking for a friend.

There’s a dude in my men’s league currently tearing it up on the score sheet, I could reach out to him if you want? 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

There’s a dude in my men’s league currently tearing it up on the score sheet, I could reach out to him if you want? 

Big question is could he fit into the "culture"?