SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

Nobody's sugar coating it at this point. Read Brad's weekend review. The team desperately needs some finishers. But a lot of their game as a whole is coming around. The crappy thing is that you can still win games by outscoring opponents in racehorse games, can't expect to win much by averaging just a goal or two a game.

52 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

And a D man was our leading scorer last year, I think in Berry’s system the d men have free reign but he hamstrings the Howard’s to dump and chase and cycle along the boards. 

More of a symptom of our defensemen than the system. 

21 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

More of a symptom of our defensemen than the system. 

It's not that the defensemen are that unbelievably great (they are very good)....it's that the forward group is historically weak when looking at the last 20 years.  Put Mismash on a UND team from 10-15 years ago and he's playing on the 4th line with the Massens and Radkes of the world.  If the defensemen can't score no one scores so of course the defensmen need to press.

• Like 1

UND drops one spot from where they started this weekend, sitting at #23 currently in the pairwise after the sweep. Everyone knew after last weekend it was going to take a monumental effort to get back into it. 

I'm breaking this second half of the conference season into three separate parts:

Part 1: CC / @UNO -  3-0-1: A loss would be devastating, need to tread water, got what they needed this weekend.

Part 2: SCSU / @Denver / @WMU / UMD: 5-3 / 4-3-1: Two things need to happen, first, they can't get swept. Second, in one of these series they need to somehow sweep. I'd take 4-3-1 as well.

Part 3: @CC/UNO - 3-1: Split on the road, sweep at home

11-4-1 / 10-4-2 to finish out the year might seem unlikely, but I think it's doable. That should put them on the bubble.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, AJS said:

UND drops one spot from where they started this weekend, sitting at #23 currently in the pairwise after the sweep. Everyone knew after last weekend it was going to take a monumental effort to get back into it. 

I'm breaking this second half of the conference season into three separate parts:

Part 1: CC / @UNO -  3-0-1: A loss would be devastating, need to tread water, got what they needed this weekend.

Part 2: SCSU / @Denver / @WMU / UMD: 5-3 / 4-3-1: Two things need to happen, first, they can't get swept. Second, in one of these series they need to somehow sweep. I'd take 4-3-1 as well.

11-4-1 / 10-4-2 to finish out the year might seem unlikely, but I think it's doable. That should put them on the bubble.

I think it's a pretty tall task to expect this team to have a winning record in part 2.  I'd love to see it though.
Would be nice to sweep WMU in their barn after that rough sweep in the REA.

16 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I think it's a pretty tall task to expect this team to have a winning record in part 2.  I'd love to see it though.
Would be nice to sweep WMU in their barn after that rough sweep in the REA.

If we want to get home ice for the first round of NCHC playoffs, a sweep at WMU may be what we need.   They are on a roll.  (But the top three are even farther away.)

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They have to win 4 of 6 against SCSU-DENVER-DULUTH.  

There is at least one for sure loss in Denver, so they are going to have to steal a sweep of SCSU or Duluth.  

I don’t know about the for sure loss in Denver. The boys and I are taking our annual trip there this year. 10-1 in games including 5-0 in the last 5 outscoring the oppenent 16-0. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, AJS said:

Seems doable.  I would change it to sweep at UNO and split next 4weekends than finish 3-1 last 2 weekend.  They would make it a 11-5. finish than it just comes down to post season tourney.  Should be at home for first round if this happens.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I don’t know about the for sure loss in Denver. The boys and I are taking our annual trip there this year. 10-1 in games including 5-0 in the last 5 outscoring the oppenent 16-0. 

We will need all the help we can get in Denver.  

@ Omaha

SCSU

@ Denver

@ Western

Duluth

@ CC

Omaha

Win 3/4 against Omaha and SCSU.  Split Denver and Western.  3/4 with Duluth and CC.  Sweep Omaha senior weekend

For home ice purposes they have to get at least three points a weekend from here on out. 

24 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Home ice for the first round. Get to St. Paul. Win two against two teams without a ton to play for. It’s a formula that has been followed before and is certainly achievable.

Realistically this is their best shot to make the NCAA

First, Mr Scheel, nice job this weekend. And thank you for not adding additional "colors" to the painted area. ;) 

Next, Mr Kawaguchi, nice job taking your time and finishing in OT. You could've panicked and fired wide; instead, you took your time and buried it. 

Finally, to the team: You've dug a deep hole. You showed what you can do this weekend. So, what do you want to be remembered as? 

• Upvote 2