SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

By juiced do you mean everybody played a 200 foot game?  Even our star forwards back-checked like there was no tomorrow and that was the difference.

I just meant they were so much better than everyone they played.  Top line was NHL players, d core was beyond filthy for college puck, and they had nice forward depth as well to play 5x5. 

• Downvote 1

If Colton returns the blueline will be solid. Rieger, minus the huge mistake Friday, will be a solid 4 year guy........as will Peski and Kiersted. Throw in Bast and Shaw. There's your 6. Casey is a defenseman........period.

• Upvote 1

I'll start with coaching, what has me slightly concerned is the last two years I would put in the "underachieved" category. They basically made the tournament by one game last year and missed it by one this year. Far from terrible years, but much too inconsistent. This was the first year, that I've ever really questioned the line-ups UND went with, if given the choice, everyone is taking the Saturday lineup this past weekend over Friday afternoons. I'll never understand putting Johnson at Forward and basically having two lines that can't score, while leaving some of the guys they did in the stands. 

Next year, my hope relies on a couple things (1) Addition by subtraction - from a talent standpoint, there were a couple Seniors that saw big ice time, that will be easily replaced on the score sheet. Either by incoming freshman or players with another year under their belts. (2) Summer and time off fixes the locker room issues, not putting this all on the leadership group this year, but hopefully a change of guard, they can hit the reset button. 

There was a lot to like with this years team, as disappointing as it was, they were close to being a really good team. They took the #1 team in the country to OT three of their last six games. Played Denver close every game. Had a very solid start to the season. They just couldn't put everything together consistently enough. 

The outlook for next year will be much clearer once decisions are made from Gersich, Wolanin, Gardner and Poolman. They won't all stay, but if they did, they'd be a Top 5 team next year. Right now, I'd be happy if two of the four stay. 

• Upvote 2

I hate to say it but Hakstols departure was felt on the recruiting side of things.  I understand berry was a head recruiter but Hakstol was the captain of the ship.  It will take some time for berry to learn that role. Berry was always a players coach because  Hak was tough.   Berry has some learning as well. Berry is a good coach, but if I was to constructively criticize one aspect of his  coaching, I would say getting his guys ready to go.  Way too much the last 2 years the boys were beyond flat.

If this year’s team didn’t have wolanin, they would have taken last.  He was the best player on the ice the last two games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If Colton returns the blueline will be solid. Rieger, minus the huge mistake Friday, will be a solid 4 year guy........as will Peski and Kiersted. Throw in Bast and Shaw. There's your 6. Casey is a defenseman........period.

Tychonick should be an instant impact player as well, he'll be young, but has put together as good of a draft year campaign as an incoming freshman dman has had in a long time. Poolman definitely is the X-factor though, he's so good, would be tough to lose him early. 

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

I hate to say it but Hakstols departure was felt on the recruiting side of things.  I understand berry was a head recruiter but Hakstol was the captain of the ship.  It will take some time for berry to learn that role. Berry was always a players coach because  Hak was tough.   Berry has some learning as well. Berry is a good coach, but if I was to constructively criticize one aspect of his  coaching, I would say getting his guys ready to go.  Way too much the last 2 years the boys were beyond flat.

If this year’s team didn’t have wolanin, they would have taken last.  He was the best player on the ice the last two games.

I get your point but Cam was IMO. Wolanin was really good though minus his 2-3 defensive lapses. His offensive skills will tremendous.

• Upvote 1

The off the ice/locker room issues start at the top with the CEO. Never heard of these kind of issues with Hak.

Berry will be coach as long as he wants at UND. He'll get this ship righted.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'll start with coaching, what has me slightly concerned is the last two years I would put in the "underachieved" category. They basically made the tournament by one game last year and missed it by one this year. Far from terrible years, but much too inconsistent. This was the first year, that I've ever really questioned the line-ups UND went with, if given the choice, everyone is taking the Saturday lineup this past weekend over Friday afternoons. I'll never understand putting Johnson at Forward and basically having two lines that can't score, while leaving some of the guys they did in the stands. 

Next year, my hope relies on a couple things (1) Addition by subtraction - from a talent standpoint, there were a couple Seniors that saw big ice time, that will be easily replaced on the score sheet. Either by incoming freshman or players with another year under their belts. (2) Summer and time off fixes the locker room issues, not putting this all on the leadership group this year, but hopefully a change of guard, they can hit the reset button. 

There was a lot to like with this years team, as disappointing as it was, they were close to being a really good team. They took the #1 team in the country to OT three of their last six games. Played Denver close every game. Had a very solid start to the season. They just couldn't put everything together consistently enough. 

The outlook for next year will be much clearer once decisions are made from Gersich, Wolanin, Gardner and Poolman. They won't all stay, but if they did, they'd be a Top 5 team next year. Right now, I'd be happy if two of the four stay. 

Wolanin IS gone.  Hopefully the others stayed.  The last two games gersich played hard, but he definitely could use another year.  Everything I’ve heard is that he’s all but gone.  He was very close to signing last summer. 29 in forty is not great for a player thinking to leave. Nick jones is a better overall player than him right now.

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I get your point but Cam was IMO. Wolanin was really good though minus his 2-3 defensive lapses. His offensive skills will tremendous.

Agreed talking about skaters.  He was a possession game changer.  When he has the puck it looks like he’s playing against a lessor competition.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, scpa0305 said:

Agreed talking about skaters.  He was a possession game changer.  When he has the puck it looks like he’s playing against a lessor competition.  

He's defensive deficiencies are so glaring at times that I'm not sure how that will translate as a pro even with his offensive skills.

What's everyone's predictions on who leaves early? Schlossman named the four who are the most likely in Wolanin, Gersich, Poolman and Gardner. Will there be a Wilkie type that leaves for more playing time? 

We all realize this is the game UND has to play to attract the top talent, but what's frustrating is after a year where they miss the tournament, there's still possibly four early departures. Looking at the college hockey landscape, besides BU & BC over the last couple of years, no other team has come close to having to replace more players consistently. It's tough, constantly turning over the roster like they have. Just one year of not getting hit hard would do wonders for the team the following year. 

Going forward we’re going to start seeing more and more auto bids. You have 1-2 (maybe) ranked teams in most conferences that spells trouble. The days of getting in being in the top 15 are over.  If you’re not 13 you’re not getting in.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

What's everyone's predictions on who leaves early? Schlossman named the four who are the most likely in Wolanin, Gersich, Poolman and Gardner. Will there be a Wilkie type that leaves for more playing time? 

We all realize this is the game UND has to play to attract the top talent, but what's frustrating is after a year where they miss the tournament, there's still possibly four early departures. Looking at the college hockey landscape, besides BU & BC over the last couple of years, no other team has come close to having to replace more players consistently. It's tough, constantly turning over the roster like they have. Just one year of not getting hit hard would do wonders for the team the following year. 

Not sure, wolanin is the only player that should leave but you’re right there are always guys who think they’re better than they are and guys who get mad at playing time.  Hopefully we don’t run into that.  FYI sometimes it’s both a combo of playing time and getting scholarship dollars cut.

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I always go back to the fact if Joe Finley can get a look at forward at the NHL level Wolanin most certainly could.

It was only to fight. Finley was a terrible professional hockey player.  

To shift a bit, we need that culture Denver has.  I saw videos of when terry got back from the Olympics and you could tell they were all very tight.  I mean, they all came back after a natty year, that NEVER happens.  They’re recruiting has been great under Monty as well.

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Going forward we’re going to start seeing more and more auto bids.  She. You have 1-2 (maybe) ranked teams in most conferences that spells trouble. The of getting in he top 15 are over.  If you’re not 13 you’re not getting in.

Agreed, this year will end up being a little out of the ordinary, where I don't think you'll see 13 also get picked off, but I'd say goodbye to 14 from now on. This year was the perfect storm that was set up weeks prior with the Big Ten completely blowing up the PWR rankings with Minnesota / Notre Dame going 0-6 causing Penn State and Michigan to jump into contention. 

16 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

He's defensive deficiencies are so glaring at times that I'm not sure how that will translate as a pro even with his offensive skills.

I think he is good in his own end.  The glaring mistakes seem to happen when pressing to make something happen offensively.  On this squad he had to be pressing given the lack of playmakers.

8 hours ago, Goon said:

You do realize that all of UND's coaches have coached on a very high level? Berry coached in the NHL, Dane Jackson has already coached in the AHL before he came to UND. Matt Shaw has coached in the NHL, AHL and the USHL. That's an impressive pedigree. 

Agree about their experience - Then why do we have a power play that looks like it does?  How about motivating the team to play a full 60.  Player development?  Do any of the assistants up our recruiting game either with their contacts or their ability to sell the program?  The coaching staff in my opinion has a lot of room to improve.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Ottawa is so out of it that it wouldn't surprise me to see Wolanin in throw away games here for them soon.

They probably want to get him under contract and not risk losing a talent like him.  

I have heard he will wait until July 1(I think that is the date) and declare himself a free agent.

10 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

No, not sure what happened there but that type of situation can’t happen anymore.

I wonder if it was his attitude.  Maybe he just wasn't being the player off the ice/locker room that he should be.  His on ice work, I feel, was as good as most, this year.  Had to be something more to it

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Put Tychonick in there for Rieger and it looks a lot better. If they keep Johnson at forward and bring in JBD he could push someone else to the seats at times as well like Peski.