SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

46 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Berry wins on Haks coattails and now he is steering the ship it’s heading for the rocks, we all thought is was just last year but I am sensing  a trend.

Bemidji just seems to have our number, we never play them later. It's early in the season, a lot of good play in last nights game. We gave up some weak goals, we hit the pipe a couple of times, had our share of quality shots, and so on. We could reverse that score tonight. I'll be there.

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Berry wins on Haks coattails and now he is steering the ship it’s heading for the rocks, we all thought is was just last year but I am sensing  a trend.

Hak could never win with Hak guys....so Berry winning with Hak guys is a step up.  Starting to have some questions about Berry but if you think about it, aren't most of the upperclassmen busts on the team still Hak recruits?

On 10/19/2018 at 1:25 PM, Maddogg1971 said:

I will always stand by the Sioux.....no matter what. But for the first time ever in my years of watching Sioux hockey, I'm really concerned about the lack of effort by the team. This is North Dakota, not Minnesota, BC, Denver or Michigan where you can get away with that. It used to be every year, opposing coaches would say about the Sioux is that "they just come in waves" no matter how much talent or lack there of. You never hear that anymore. We have won national titles with less talent. 

Bad enough the program is in steady decline, but on top of that you've got global warming and loss of the middle class.  

It all started when Blais left.   

3 minutes ago, John W. said:

People bringing up nostalgia over the only recent UND coach  NOT to win a national title....wanna clue as to who?...ie. he won't bring a 'Lord Stanley'  to Philly either...book that!!!!!

Okay.....I'm terrible at guesses.....who?  

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fader said:

Looking at making the trip to Denver in February and looking for advice/suggestions for hotels, food, & things to do.  And which end of Magnus would be our O-zone for 1st & 3rd periods.

Thanks!

I'd stay downtown myself, lots to keep you busy. Also for food illegal pete's burritos are always my 1st recommendation. Breakfast burritos in the morning and smothered chile burritos after bar close. Checking out Red Rocks ampitheater in Morrison, CO is always fun, even if it's not for a show.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:12 AM, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I said it a few years ago.  Yes, Bubs was gifted a great ‘16 team (that he helped build) but I knew Hak’s departure would hurt recruiting....for a bit.  It’s turned around.  We have a decent pipeline.  We have a lot more kids who are producing than kids who are struggling in juniors.

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I said it a few years ago.  Yes, Bubs was gifted a great ‘16 team (that he helped build) but I knew Hak’s departure would hurt recruiting....for a bit.  It’s turned around.  We have a decent pipeline.  We have a lot more kids who are producing than kids who are struggling in juniors.

I'd say our pipeline is much better than decent. Our D-men recruits alone make us one of the best out there in terms of pipeline.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd say our pipeline is much better than decent. Our D-men recruits alone make us one of the best out there in terms of pipeline.

Have you seen BU’s pipeline of defensemen?  Again I’m not discrediting Bubs.  I’m just saying there was some work to do and I think recruiting will only continue to do better. 

...and yes I realize what BU’s record is. :)

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Have you seen BU’s pipeline of defensemen?  Again I’m not discrediting Bubs.  I’m just saying there was some work to do and I think recruiting will only continue to do better. 

...and yes I realize what BU’s record is. :)

Have you seen our pipeline of defensemen? :) Both can be one of the best, can't they?

43 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Have you seen our pipeline of defensemen? :) Both can be one of the best, can't they?

Yes.  I would rate there's as higher right now.  But yes our dman pipeline is nice.  I would like our forward group to match that as well (and compare to some of the other bigger schools).  We are different obviously, we blend late bloomers in a bit better.

But to focus on my original point (which typically gets lost on these forums), I feel our recruiting dipped, just a bit, once Hak left.  Very short term obviously.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Yes.  I would rate there's as higher right now.  But yes our dman pipeline is nice.  I would like our forward group to match that as well (and compare to some of the other bigger schools).  We are different obviously, we blend late bloomers in a bit better.

But to focus on my original point (which typically gets lost on these forums), I feel our recruiting dipped, just a bit, once Hak left.  Very short term obviously.

I like the forward group UND has. I am beginning to see what the coaching staff is trying to do. This team is very fast. Very good skaters. They forecheck aggressively. The next couple recruiting classes are pretty good. Collin Adams is showing a very nice skill set. I like Kawaguchi’s skills. 

12 hours ago, Goon said:

I like the forward group UND has. I am beginning to see what the coaching staff is trying to do. This team is very fast. Very good skaters. They forecheck aggressively. The next couple recruiting classes are pretty good. Collin Adams is showing a very nice skill set. I like Kawaguchi’s skills. 

Kawaguchi is much improved, but there is still more upside there, IMO.   He hasn't turned his own, personal corner yet. 

13 hours ago, Goon said:

Adams looks so much better. Last year he was consistently getting bumped off the puck with barely any contact. You can tell he put in the work this past offseason.

41 minutes ago, burd said:

Kawaguchi is much improved, but there is still more upside there, IMO.   He hasn't turned his own, personal corner yet. 

He's so close. Kid makes so many good plays.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Adams looks so much better. Last year he was consistently getting bumped off the puck with barely any contact. You can tell he put in the work this past offseason.

He's so close. Kid makes so many good plays.

His skills are great.  His work ethic is very good.  You can tell he cares.  He has  come miles from where he was as a freshman, but it's as if his on-ice intuition has not yet fully kicked in.  If and when it does, he'll really be a force, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Goon said:

Completely agree.  Were they the best recruits out there at the time...no.  But they were coveted by almost all large schools and fit what Berry is trying to do.  So far, they haven’t put up very good numbers but it’s early and it appears we have nice depth .  This team is tough to play against.  For once in quite some time, I can’t really think of better line combos.  

• Upvote 1

Completely agree.  Were they the best recruits out there at the time...no.  But they were coveted by almost all large schools and fit what Berry is trying to do.  So far, they haven’t put up very good numbers but it’s early and it appears we have nice depth .  This team is tough to play against.  For once in quite some time, I can’t really think of better line combos.  

This year, they're buying into what the coaching staff is telling them. I see a big improvement in play in all three ends of the ice. Positionally, I think players are left aft to get caught up ice. They don't give up and they keep pushing. Their gaudy possession numbers are backing this up. 

Curious what’s going on with Hain.  Hasn’t been in the lineup, now he has an illness in which he doesn’t even make the trip?  Also, I never noticed Hoff getting hurt last weekend.  Sounds like we’ll be thin this weekend.  See what happens I guess.

Curious what’s going on with Hain.  Hasn’t been in the lineup, now he has an illness in which he doesn’t even make the trip?  Also, I never noticed Hoff getting hurt last weekend.  Sounds like we’ll be thin this weekend.  See what happens I guess.

IRC, he's hurt or dinged up right now. 

Not sure where to put this but what the hell...

Today's Heraldo had this gem of a story...

http://grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4529371-gophers-notebook-lines-changing-early-season-data-rolls

Why the hell am I reading about Motzko and the Gopher line combinations in the Herald?  Who gives a shi+ about those guys?  If I want to read about Gofer hockey I'll pick up a copy of the Minnesota Daily or Kowalski's Weekly Shopper. ;)

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Who gives a shi+ about those guys?  If I want to read about Gofer hockey I'll pick up a copy of the Minnesota Daily or Kowalski's Weekly Shopper. ;)

The Herald's parent company, Forum Communications, recently hired Jess Myers on the payroll to cover "Gopher and college hockey."

Expect to see more of this in the Herald.