SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

Not a good brand of hockey last season and so far this season.every team In Our league is scoring goals with supposedly not as talented recruits and teams are scoring, wait for it, on the power play. Lots of people are losing interest and if it doesn’t change we will halve half empty barns by Xmas and lots of pressure from the higher ups. 

12 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Not a good brand of hockey last season and so far this season.every team In Our league is scoring goals with supposedly not as talented recruits and teams are scoring, wait for it, on the power play. Lots of people are losing interest and if it doesn’t change we will halve half empty barns by Xmas and lots of pressure from the higher ups. 

This losing interest, really started to be noticeable, with people not showing up for games toward the end of last season, even though they most likely already had season tickets and didn't find fans to replace them at the game. Now remember as far as attendance #'s go, all that counts is that the ticket was purchased. Butts not in purchased seats don't count (subtracted), but very noticeable at the game. Maybe this is the way it's in the rest of college hockey. We are the only team in all of college hockey selling 11,000 tickets per game.

We are probably coming towards the end of The Ralph honeymoon for a lot of fans. It used to be if you couldn't make it to a game, it wasn't hard to give or sell your ticket. I have noticed that the last two seasons it already became a challenge to resell my tickets, where prior seasons they were taken in a day or two.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This losing interest, really started to be noticeable, with people not showing up for games toward the end of last season, even though they most likely already had season tickets and didn't find fans to replace them at the game. Now remember as far as attendance #'s go, all that counts is that the ticket was purchased. Butts not in purchased seats don't count (subtracted), but very noticeable at the game. Maybe this is the way it's in the rest of college hockey. We are the only team in all of college hockey selling 11,000 tickets per game.

We are probably coming towards the end of The Ralph honeymoon for a lot of fans. It used to be if you couldn't make it to a game, it wasn't hard to give or sell your ticket. I have noticed that the last two seasons it already became a challenge to resell my tickets, where prior seasons they were taken in a day or two.

Most of the empty seats have been in the student section.  I agree it is harder to sell tickets, but mostly only for the games against non traditional rivals. Have a feeling they will take away more student seats at some point.

14 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

As frustrating as it is, it is only two games into the season.   Winning fixes things.  We'll see how they play against Minnesota State this weekend, as both BC and BU the teams we are  always held up against in comparison, both have worse records than us.  

19 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, you can sit on your phone and Snapchat and Instagram to your heart’s content anywhere for free...why pay to go to a hockey game instead?

Although at the game prior to puck drop they announced on the PA "Another Sellout". So somebody is still buying the tickets.

54 minutes ago, Cratter said:

11,847 "attended" the BSU game Saturday night. Not sure what "problem" that would fix.

52 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Although at the game prior to puck drop they announced on the PA "Another Sellout". So somebody is still buying the tickets.

49 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

attended + no shows = purchased tickets = 11,800

I guess an announced sellout crowd with hundreds or even thousands of enpty seats is only a problem in Minneapolis...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I put some of my tickets on this site and have sold 4 of the 7 nights I was selling...I put the exhibition game tickets on Craigslist and had 12-13 responses in a day and a half?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I put some of my tickets on this site and have sold 4 of the 7 nights I was selling...I put the exhibition game tickets on Craigslist and had 12-13 responses in a day and a half?

Hopefully tickets sales are robust. And, we get over this struggle with Bemidji early in each year.

I think I'd be fine with taking a couple years off from having BSU on the schedule.
Regardless of the sweet loss & tie this weekend, I remember a couple real snooze-fests like Saturday night over the last couple of years.
Let's mix it up a bit.

Unfortunately they're already on the schedule for next year too according to Brad's blog.

6 hours ago, brianvf said:

I think I'd be fine with taking a couple years off from having BSU on the schedule.
Regardless of the sweet loss & tie this weekend, I remember a couple real snooze-fests like Saturday night over the last couple of years.
Let's mix it up a bit.

Unfortunately they're already on the schedule for next year too according to Brad's blog.

It's not bad playing someone that will play hard the whole game early on, they just need to learn to match it.  Shouldn't need to learn the lesson over and over again.  There were only 3 freshmen in the lineup on Friday night, so they can't use that as an excuse, especially when Bemidji had more than that.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Where are you trying to sell them? I never have a problem.