SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

40 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Si, senor. Agreed to all.

Plus, the group of recruits on the blueline that we have coming in the next handful of years, starting in 18-19 is the best in the country, hands down. This is constantly ignored.

Tychonick, JBD and Kleven have the potential to be stars.

Not sure how all this got so sideways but the genesis of this discussion had to do with Weiss not going to BU anymore.  He’d be a solid college recruit, very solid actually.  Not sure why these discussion always get so off track.

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yup. Exactly. Main one I was thinking of. Made the All-Rookie team in USHL.

Not a peep about that. 

As the second youngest player in the USHL, no less.

10 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Not sure how all this got so sideways but the genesis of this discussion had to do with Weiss not going to BU anymore.  He’d be a solid college recruit, very solid actually.  Not sure why these discussion always get so off track.

I'll take the blame for it haha. People are seeming to be excited about a kid that compares to another kid coming into our roster this year. Hain is comparable and is definitely coming to UND. Not sure there's a spot for Weiss. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

The theme I've heard this year is that UND doesn't have any blue chippers. I think some have forgotten that Tyson Jost probably left a year early and we lost other great seasoned players to the NHL. The last two seasons, UND has been very young and basically and barely missed the NCAA playoffs in 2018. If they'd won, one or two of those games during the seven-game winless streak they would've been dancing.

Apparently, some thought that Brad Berry isn't a very good coach and some have even suggested that he be fired after UND missed the NCAA playoffs for the first time in 15 years. Obviously, UND isn't going to get all of the college hockey bound first-round draft choices. Thank God the new AD didn't listen to the outlier fans and Alums that thought Berry had run the program into the ground after three short seasons. 

Recruits don't always pan out. I remember when Wes Dorey was one of the most coveted recruits he ended up scoring about 99 points in four seasons. I don't put a lot of stock in the ISS rankings. There's a lot of players out there that are good that never get ranked. Or your late bloomers. 

That said. I imagine that there'd been the same meltdown if UND has missed the NCAA playoffs during Dave Hakstol's tenure. I remember the game where UND had to count on a Wisconsin win to make it in the tourney. Made it just by the skin of their teeth. They went on to qualify for the Frozen Four. College Hockey is a crap shoot. 

You are correct on several points - we are bringing in a tremendous D corps.  Having said that, I think there are some things in play that worry some fans - not saying they should be worried, but anyway - the first is the noticeable drop in drafted players - too lazy to look it up but significantly down from the championship year (which we want repeated).  The second is the misfire of our soon to be Juniors - an underwhelming group.  Third was the eye test - it was hard at times to watch our offense in action - we had a tough time with the puck, shooting at open nets, breaking out, and the power play. Only three forwards had a Plus rating for the season, and one was only +1.   I agree that it is very hard to evaluate recruits until they have a season or two under their belts.  I think we have some good talent coming in.  But I think it is safe to say there is not a Jost, Boesser, or Schmaltz in the group.   We are used to pulling in those surefire NHL talented kids starting with Parise and on down to Boesser.   I hope we can continue.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Irish said:

You are correct on several points - we are bringing in a tremendous D corps.  Having said that, I think there are some things in play that worry some fans - not saying they should be worried, but anyway - the first is the noticeable drop in drafted players - too lazy to look it up but significantly down from the championship year (which we want repeated).  The second is the misfire of our soon to be Juniors - an underwhelming group.  Third was the eye test - it was hard at times to watch our offense in action - we had a tough time with the puck, shooting at open nets, breaking out, and the power play. Only three forwards had a Plus rating for the season, and one was only +1.   I agree that it is very hard to evaluate recruits until they have a season or two under their belts.  I think we have some good talent coming in.  But I think it is safe to say there is not a Jost, Boesser, or Schmaltz in the group.   We are used to pulling in those surefire NHL talented kids starting with Parise and on down to Boesser.   I hope we can continue.

We have to quit comparing teams to 15-16. That is a once in a generation team. The were a ridiculous blend of stud D and forwards. Drafted and undrafted players. 

We have enough talent left this year and coming in to win four games in late March and early April, in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Irish said:

This is incorrect. Schlossman’s post was about +/- during a specific time during the season. Cumulatively, 9 forwards had an even or better season +/-. 

Schlossman’s post was about Casey Johnson’s +/-, but his cumulative for the season was a -6. The best forwards for the season were Simonson at +10 and Jones at +9.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Irish said:

I stand corrected, but still maintain that at times this was a tough group to watch.

It is tough when you have little to no offensive chemistry because you have different linemates every game except like... two. 

It is what it is, but getting consistent line combos earlier in the season would go a long way in improving game results. 

11 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

It is tough when you have little to no offensive chemistry because you have different linemates every game except like... two. 

It is what it is, but getting consistent line combos earlier in the season would go a long way in improving game results. 

I agree this was a big factor that is often forgotten - although the missed open nets alone was enough to drive me to drink.

59 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

As the second youngest player in the USHL, no less.

I'll take the blame for it haha. People are seeming to be excited about a kid that compares to another kid coming into our roster this year. Hain is comparable and is definitely coming to UND. Not sure there's a spot for Weiss. 

Haha that’s ok.  

I would think a spot would be made for Weiss if he wanted to come in this year. He’s going to go in rounds 3-5.

28 minutes ago, Irish said:

I agree this was a big factor that is often forgotten - although the missed open nets alone was enough to drive me to drink.

Definitely agree with this... also, I have a hunch that that kind of trend won't continue and this should make us hopeful. No way we miss the same amount of open nets this year. Just not mathematically possible :D

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We have to quit comparing teams to 15-16. That is a once in a generation team.

I have little doubt that the 15/16 team would have won the national title every season since they took home the hardware.

Compare the 17/18 Duluth team to the 15/16 UND team.  Geez...no comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

This time of year always makes me pumped for hockey to get going. Not wanting to wish away my summer, but always looking forward to fall for football and hockey. A lot to look forward to with this UND team I think. Should see some impressive strides this year. Can’t wait!

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2018 at 2:17 PM, Irish said:

Irish, if you didn't drink so much, maybe you wouldn't be seeing all those open nets in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

The two UND guys at the combine did pretty well. Measurables at combines should always be caked in salt but it’s nice to see they both were top performers in the pro agility and that Tychonick was top 10 peak power output in the Wingate is a good sign. It’s also always funny to see how terrible the vertical numbers are. It’d be nice if the NFL used the same measuring tools so there could be an actual comparison because the discrepancy in explosiveness appears to be massive with the two sports. 27 inches is a piss poor vertical and that was tops at the NHL combine.

14 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The two UND guys at the combine did pretty well. Measurables at combines should always be caked in salt but it’s nice to see they both were top performers in the pro agility and that Tychonick was top 10 peak power output in the Wingate is a good sign. It’s also always funny to see how terrible the vertical numbers are. It’d be nice if the NFL used the same measuring tools so there could be an actual comparison because the discrepancy in explosiveness appears to be massive with the two sports. 27 inches is a piss poor vertical and that was tops at the NHL combine.

Right.  Now while I doubt hockey players could compete with football players (collectively) in these types of assessments, the gap will be wider now as the hockey players are much younger at the time of assessment.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Right.  Now while I doubt hockey players could compete with football players (collectively) in these types of assessments, the gap will be wider now as the hockey players are much younger at the time of assessment.

Maybe a better comp would be Nike’s The Opening. It’s a combine/7v7 tournament for the nations best Highschool football players. For example the top 4 rated athletes all had verts over 40”. 

57 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Maybe a better comp would be Nike’s The Opening. It’s a combine/7v7 tournament for the nations best Highschool football players. For example the top 4 rated athletes all had verts over 40”. 

How many of them could skate though? ;)