SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

7 hours ago, tnt said:

Are they looking at bringing in a new recruit for this upcoming season?

2 hours ago, snova4 said:

That I wasn't told. Kind of gets you excited for who it might be though, eh? 

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

It would be fun to hit a big name late. Not expecting this, but it would be fun.

Talk about softening the blow for a healthy raise. Go Berry!

8 hours ago, tnt said:

Yeah, could just be that they are bringing in JBD and that wasn’t originally the plan, and moving Casey Johnson to forward to make up for Senden not coming. Since Schlossman left off Senden on his list of people coming in, maybe that is the case.   Wish they had a late recruit that might be able to make an impact, but not holding my breath.

I think this is much, much more likely.

The timing is pretty brutal overall for Senden, but I'd look at this as an addition by subtraction for the incoming recruiting class. We all know we need players to fill different roles, but I would say it would be worrisome to bring in more depth players than potential impact players in a forward recruiting class. With Senden (if true) not coming in, UND brings in 4 forwards, with an even balance, this move will also bring the total number of forwards next year to 15.

21 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Really, didn't realize that just because he has played 2 full years of USHL and played a couple of before/after seasons in high school.

Pretty much has to turn 21 after the new year 

Hopefully Tyler Weiss decided to come in next year.

10 minutes ago, Goon said:

I was going to say the same thing because I am not finding anything out there that says he's decommitted or changed his mind. 

Check Twitter, I’m not sure how you put twitter links in.  Schloss tweeted something a while back but i believe Jeff cox kind of broke the news.  Weiss was also drafted in the ushl last week.  Cox noted he was interested in two nchc schools...one better be UND :)

12 hours ago, tnt said:

Yeah, could just be that they are bringing in JBD and that wasn’t originally the plan, and moving Casey Johnson to forward to make up for Senden not coming. Since Schlossman left off Senden on his list of people coming in, maybe that is the case.   Wish they had a late recruit that might be able to make an impact, but not holding my breath.

This is exactly what it is.

22 minutes ago, Goon said:

Apparently, Weiss is not going to BU, sounds like PSU, DU and UND are in the mix. 

In this day and age it happens less and less with how young recruiting has gotten, but I do enjoy these rare recruiting battles for an actual high end proven player.

26 minutes ago, Goon said:

Apparently, Weiss is not going to BU, sounds like PSU, DU and UND are in the mix. 

I mean, are we supposed to be excited about his potential? Gavin Hain doesn't get the rep of being "high end" these days (although he definitely once did), but Weiss does. Hain had more points than Weiss this past season.

We're an interesting fan base lol :D 

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I mean, are we supposed to be excited about his potential? Gavin Hain doesn't get the rep of being "high end" these days (although he definitely once did), but Weiss does. Hain had more points than Weiss this past season.

Hain is on the u18 team he is a higher end college recruit...same as Weiss.  I believe Weiss has a higher ceiling (skates much better).  I think the recruit convo had more to do with blue chips, which neither are.  But I would really like to see Weiss come here rather than DU or PSU.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I should have looked up his stats before posting the "high end" part. Still, would be a nice piece in someone's class.

I still don't see how he'd fit for UND coming in next year. Would be all for him playing in the USHL and coming in the year after.

Edit: @scpa0305 put it well above. You can ignore my two posts on him.

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Hain is on the u18 team he is a higher end college recruit...same as Weiss.  I believe Weiss has a higher ceiling (skates much better).  I think the recruit convo had more to do with blue chips, which neither are.  But I would really like to see Weiss come here rather than DU or PSU.

Completely fair, but Hain certainly is not painted that way these days, on here. Point two is also fair.

Just now, AJS said:

I should have looked up his stats before posting the "high end" part. Still, would be a nice piece in someone's class.

I still don't see how he'd fit for UND coming in next year. Would be all for him playing in the USHL and coming in the year after.

Don't take that as a dig at you, AJS! Not my intention. It's a growing theme among our fanbase on here, though, that our recruits aren't good and everyone's else's are. 

He definitely wouldn't be able to come in this year, I'd think. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Completely fair, but Hain certainly is not painted that way these days, on here. Point two is also fair.

Sure. I’ve noticed that too.  I think Weiss is ranked much higher than Hain on the iss rankings.  

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The theme I've heard this year is that UND doesn't have any blue chippers. I think some have forgotten that Tyson Jost probably left a year early and we lost other great seasoned players to the NHL. The last two seasons, UND has been very young and basically and barely missed the NCAA playoffs in 2018. If they'd won, one or two of those games during the seven-game winless streak they would've been dancing.

Apparently, some thought that Brad Berry isn't a very good coach and some have even suggested that he be fired after UND missed the NCAA playoffs for the first time in 15 years. Obviously, UND isn't going to get all of the college hockey bound first-round draft choices. Thank God the new AD didn't listen to the outlier fans and Alums that thought Berry had run the program into the ground after three short seasons. 

Recruits don't always pan out. I remember when Wes Dorey was one of the most coveted recruits he ended up scoring about 99 points in four seasons. I don't put a lot of stock in the ISS rankings. There's a lot of players out there that are good that never get ranked. Or your late bloomers. 

That said. I imagine that there'd been the same meltdown if UND has missed the NCAA playoffs during Dave Hakstol's tenure. I remember the game where UND had to count on a Wisconsin win to make it in the tourney. Made it just by the skin of their teeth. They went on to qualify for the Frozen Four. College Hockey is a crap shoot. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Goon said:

The theme I've heard this year is that UND doesn't have any blue chippers. I think some have forgotten that Tyson Jost probably left a year early and we lost other great seasoned players to the NHL. The last two seasons, UND has been very young and basically and barely missed the NCAA playoffs in 2018. If they'd won, one or two of those games during the seven-game winless streak they would've been dancing.

Apparently, some thought that Brad Berry isn't a very good coach and some have even suggested that he be fired after UND missed the NCAA playoffs for the first time in 15 years. Obviously, UND isn't going to get all of the college hockey bound first-round draft choices. Thank God the new AD didn't listen to the outlier fans and Alums that thought Berry had run the program into the ground after three short seasons. 

Recruits don't always pan out. I remember when Wes Dorey was one of the most coveted recruits he ended up scoring about 99 points in four seasons. I don't put a lot of stock in the ISS rankings. There's a lot of players out there that are good that never get ranked. Or your late bloomers. 

That said. I imagine that there'd been the same meltdown if UND has missed the NCAA playoffs during Dave Hakstol's tenure. I remember the game where UND had to count on a Wisconsin win to make it in the tourney. Made it just by the skin of their teeth. They went on to qualify for the Frozen Four. College Hockey is a crap shoot. 

Si, senor. Agreed to all.

Plus, the group of recruits on the blueline that we have coming in the next handful of years, starting in 18-19 is the best in the country, hands down. This is constantly ignored.

Tychonick, JBD and Kleven have the potential to be stars.

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Si, senor. Agreed to all.

Plus, the group of recruits on the blueline that we have coming in the next handful of years, starting in 18-19 is the best in the country, hands down. This is constantly ignored.

Tychonick, JBD and Kleven have the potential to be stars.

There are a lot of recruits (forwards also) in the pipeline that are ignored. People seem to want to complain instead of look at positives. 

14 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

There are a lot of recruits (forwards also) in the pipeline that are ignored. People seem to want to complain instead of look at positives. 

Mancinelli... 

I've heard some good stuff about this kid.