SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

44 minutes ago, AJS said:

So, you have JBD probably coming in a year earlier than the coaching staff planned (for a good reason obviously). This caused Casey Johnson  to move full time to forward. My question would be, I think we now have 1 more forward than usual. There's no really incoming forwards that could be pushed back. Does everything think there will be a Wilkie type situation this summer?

I'm not sure this was the entire reasoning. I think Casey saw the pipeline of D men we have coming in for the next couple of years, not to mention the current depth and realized he was swimming upstream. 

This is the best move for him to be able play decent minutes, I think.

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm not sure this was the entire reasoning. I think Casey saw the pipeline of D men we have coming in for the next couple of years, not to mention the current depth and realized he was swimming upstream. 

This is the best move for him to be able play decent minutes, I think.

Sure...but you think he’ll crack a forward spot if everyone is healthy?  If so...let’s get back to the recruiting discussion. :)

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Sure...but you think he’ll crack a forward spot if everyone is healthy?  If so...let’s get back to the recruiting discussion. :)

I think it's more likely that he'll crack the lineup at forward. Apparently, so does he. 

In regards to our recruiting discussion we've had, I think we have to assume progression of our younger players. With that said, Casey should fit fine into a 4th line or a 3rd line grinder role, I think.

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think it's more likely that he'll crack the lineup at forward. Apparently, so does he. 

In regards to our recruiting discussion we've had, I think we have to assume progression of our younger players. With that said, Casey should fit fine into a 4th line or a 3rd line grinder role, I think.

Teams play a top 9 now...he’ll have to find a spot on the 4th.  But you’re right...looking at the D, he’s never have a shot to get in which is odd given he looked ok towards the end of his freshman year. He’s a little slow and clunky.

as for the 4th line... Cole smith should have a spot locked up. Bowen could center that line.  I’d play yon at forward over johnson though.

10 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Teams play a top 9 now...he’ll have to find a spot on the 4th.  But you’re right...looking at the D, he’s never have a shot to get in which is odd given he looked ok towards the end of his freshman year. He’s a little slow and clunky.

as for the 4th line... Cole smith should have a spot locked up. Bowen could center that line.  I’d play yon at forward over johnson though.

I'd say it's a toss up between he and Casey, IMO. Way different players. I don't mind a Smith-Bowen-Johnson 4th line.

From Schloss-Blog:

From Jan. 27 to the end of the season (the time period in which Johnson played forward), UND only had three forwards who had positive plus-minus ratings. They were Joel Janatuinen (+7), Johnny Simonson (+3) and Johnson (+1). Simonson and Johnson were linemates.

Only THREE with positive plus-minus. Oh my. 

And one of them was JJ? When he got here I viewed him as, shall we politely say, somewhat of a defensive liability. 

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

From Schloss-Blog:

And one of them was JJ? When he got here I viewed him as, shall we politely say, somewhat of a defensive liability. 

Euro hater.... 

21 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

From Schloss-Blog:

Seriously, he was one of the most responsible defensively from the outset.

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

I didn't read all this - But are we going to be better next year & why ? 

How long until we win another National Title ? Or come close ?

My opinion - yes we will be better - last year was a perfect storm of injuries, lack of development for the Sophomores, locker room issues, early departures, and lack of a killer instinct/leadership.  This year should be much better.  As to a Natty - my opinion is we will be good in the next couple of years - especially on the defensive end - however I think we are a couple of blue chippers away from a title - think of our championship team without Boesser and Schmaltz.  I think Berry needs to pull in some top talent to get us another championship - Actually, I am surprised he hasn't.  Next year will still have some passengers on the roster who get us no offense at all - too many to be a serious contender in my opinion.  Others on this board disagree with this assessment and think the blue chipper count is overrated.  I think not - we are the team of Oshie, Toews, Parise, Schmaltz etc - and in my opinion the top program in the nation.

1 hour ago, snova4 said:

Heard through my channels that Senden is no longer coming in next fall.

Wondering if someone else is in the mix and pushing him off would force him to look elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Fetch said:

Basically they need to improve the penalty kill and power play a bit and a lot of those ties change into wins.  It won’t take much, but they definitely have to improve because there is not much difference on the down side either.  

12 hours ago, Fetch said:

Duluth was the last team in the tourney the night we beat them and they won it all. If history over the past several years has taught us anything, you get in the tourney and anyone can win it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, snova4 said:

Heard through my channels that Senden is no longer coming in next fall.

Still had North Dakota listed on the Fargo Force line chart last night although sometimes they can just be slow to update it. I wouldn't be a big fan of this move. I'd much rather bring Senden in over Keane. Great leader, very good defensively, and could slid into a role on the PK right away.

49 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Still had North Dakota listed on the Fargo Force line chart last night although sometimes they can just be slow to update it. I wouldn't be a big fan of this move. I'd much rather bring Senden in over Keane. Great leader, very good defensively, and could slid into a role on the PK right away.

He can still play another year of Juniors based on his birthdate. Likely got pushed back another year.

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

He can still play another year of Juniors based on his birthdate. Likely got pushed back another year.

Really, didn't realize that just because he has played 2 full years of USHL and played a couple of before/after seasons in high school.

7 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

This. Although, he isn't pleased he is being pushed back. I wouldn't expect him to decommit, but I wouldn't necessarily blame him either. 

40 minutes ago, snova4 said:

This. Although, he isn't pleased he is being pushed back. I wouldn't expect him to decommit, but I wouldn't necessarily blame him either. 

Are they looking at bringing in a new recruit for this upcoming season?

27 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

It would be fun to hit a big name late. Not expecting this, but it would be fun.

Yeah, could just be that they are bringing in JBD and that wasn’t originally the plan, and moving Casey Johnson to forward to make up for Senden not coming. Since Schlossman left off Senden on his list of people coming in, maybe that is the case.   Wish they had a late recruit that might be able to make an impact, but not holding my breath.

• Upvote 2