SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

14 minutes ago, franchise said:

Due to legal issues

Point being here is that no one here is speculating lineups based on suspensions in mind because we don’t know what the punishment will end up being.

It’s like guessing lineups because you think someone will get injured. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Point being here is that no one here is speculating lineups based on suspensions in mind because we don’t know what the punishment will end up being.

If it's really just minors, I'd think some bag skates and additional punishment as determined by the captain would suffice.

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Now that it seems like we have a pretty good idea of who will be back I'll throw out my early lineup guess. One thing you notice doing this is we really lack right handed shots up front.

Mismash-Jones-Kawaguchi
Hain-Gardner-Weatherby
Janatuinen-Hoff-Adams
Smith-Bowen-Senden/Yon
Senden/Yon,Huber,Keane
Poolman-Bast
Tychonick-Shaw
Kiersted-Peski
Johnson,Rieger
Thome
Scheel
Anderson

Don't see 2 freshmen on that 2nd line with Rhett.  JJ and Adams are definite possibilities.

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

If it's really just minors, I'd think some bag skates and additional punishment as determined by the captain would suffice.

Right. It’s not like they’re the only hockey players to get minors around here.

If there’s more to it, than that’s another story. So that’s while I will just wait and see at this point. 

40 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I took the comment in question to mean, MM may sit a game, therefore not be on the top line right away.

If he meant he will have to work his way to the top line, then my comment doesn't apply.

No chance any suspensions for a regular season game, I'd be surprised if there were any for the exhibition game. I mean we're talking MIP here. I think everyone can give their line projections without fear of players missing any time because of it.

All eyes need to be on the forwards coming into the year, UND will have a very good D-core and two solid goaltenders. 

Top 4: Gardner (SR), Jones (SR), Mismash (So), Kawaguchi (So): The Jones line was very good the stretch and will reunite, Mismash and Kawaguchi just being Freshman, could see big jumps in production. It was a good line this year, should take that next step. Gardner as a Senior is just a solid Center, hopefully will add to his offensive game, but is so valuable.

Next group: The improvement of players in this group or the instant impact of freshman will make or break this team offensively. The way I look at it you're going to need one freshman (either Weatherby or Hain) and one returning player (either JJ or Adams) to be ready to play in the top 6. Two of these four will play with Gardner, the other two should play on the 3rd line with Hoff as Center.

What I like about this team: 

Best two classes will be Seniors and Sophomores, good leadership group with the Seniors and the Sophomores (most talented class) will be fully adjusted to the college game and have the chance to really improve on their numbers. 

Has anybody seen Carter Huber play?  His coach at Okotoks sure speaks highly of him.  That is the same team that Bernard-Docker is playing with and he is projected to go as high as 2nd round in the NHL draft.

3 hours ago, fsioux said:

Has anybody seen Carter Huber play?  His coach at Okotoks sure speaks highly of him.  That is the same team that Bernard-Docker is playing with and he is projected to go as high as 2nd round in the NHL draft.

Would be great to get that freshman that is kind of a surprise contributor.

OK, four seniors (goalie plus 3 forwards), Wolanin, Gersich, and the void left by Gornall leaving. That's seven holes (goalie, a D, five Fs). 

Scheel and Tychonick are gimmes. 

We know this team is < ahem > offensively challenged

Huber, Weatherby, Senden, and Hain all have Elite Prospects (EP) pages showing they're coming in 2018. That brings me to Jackson Keane. His EP page doesn't show UND in 2018. Frankly, it doesn't show him developing offensively, even in the score-happy BCHL. Knowing we're challenged, and seeing his page doesn't list "UND 2018" like the others, is he coming? 

Honestly, seeing that history, I'd roll the dice on a guy like Carter Randklev coming in and sparking some offense. And, interestingly ... his page.

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

OK, four seniors (goalie plus 3 forwards), Wolanin, Gersich, and the void left by Gornall leaving. That's seven holes (goalie, a D, five Fs). 

Huber, Weatherby, Senden, and Hain all have Elite Prospects (EP) pages showing they're coming in 2018. That brings me to Jackson Keane. His EP page doesn't show UND in 2018. Frankly, it doesn't show him developing offensively, even in the score-happy BCHL. Knowing we're challenged, and seeing his page doesn't list "UND 2018" like the others, is he coming? 

Honestly, seeing that history, I'd roll the dice on a guy like Carter Randklev coming in and sparking some offense. And, interestingly ... his page.

It'll be fun to see what happens. I'd like to know what the attitude is like with each of these. Particularly Randeklev. It would be nice to get a Freshman that comes in confident, not necessarily cocky; but a guy that just is not intimidated to be playing at the next level. I felt like if some of our freshman had been a little more confident in themselves early on, we may have seen some more point production. Not always the case, but that was my perception.

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

He's 150 lbs and he'll be 18 when the season starts. Kid needs to go play juniors for a year or 2. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He's 150 lbs and he'll be 18 when the season starts. Kid needs to go play juniors for a year or 2. 

Randklev will definitely benefit from a full year in the USHL.  I think he'll stay as a 2019, and both he and UND will be better for it.  Even Boeser played a full year in the USHL to get ready...

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

It'll be fun to see what happens. I'd like to know what the attitude is like with each of these. Particularly Randeklev. It would be nice to get a Freshman that comes in confident, not necessarily cocky; but a guy that just is not intimidated to be playing at the next level. I felt like if some of our freshman had been a little more confident in themselves early on, we may have seen some more point production. Not always the case, but that was my perception.

I didn't get the chance to watch a lot of him, but after losing the heartbreaking section final, he looked very mature giving interviews a few feet from the celebrating players.