SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

Off-season homework:

1. If there are issues in the room, resolve them. Everyone pulls on the same rope in the same direction. 

2. Power play efficiency meaning both on and killing. 

3. Offensive mindset. Perfect is the enemy of good enough. Don't wait for the perfect shot; get the shot off.  

4. Conditioning. Yes, conditioning. The forwards need to get back faster and harder and transition better. The defense needs to work on positioning and transitions. The pace needs to be faster and that requires even better conditioning. I'm tired of seeing a D-to-D pass and the receiver being flat-footed and looking for a passing lane. Move. Go. 

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

KVRR? Um ... 

Now if it was Alex Heinert or The Schloss ... that said, The Schloss is tweeting that the Caps and Gersich are in talks. 

KVRR was out there first.  Schloss’ tweet was 30 40 minutes later....and pretty much said the same thing.

Just now, scpa0305 said:

KVRR was out there first.  Schloss’ tweet was 30 40 minutes later....and pretty much said the same thing.

KVRR is not the first source I look to for UND Hockey breaking news. Like I said, that's Schlossman or Heinert. 

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The only reason Adams would leave is Garth Snow.  If he did I'm guessing it's the CHL before he signed anything with the Islanders. 

This would be his last eligible year.  This kids needs a few more years (obviously) before he heads to the pros.  CHL is not in his future.

When hockey players are recruited and come to UND they are all considered student athletes. If a player or players aren't willing to buy into the student part there can be issues............................................

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

KVRR is not the first source I look to for UND Hockey breaking news. Like I said, that's Schlossman or Heinert. 

Well that’s obvious...I was simply noting who was out there first.  In this instance.  Props to them.  And they were spot on (in reference to the OP).

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Off-season homework:

1. If there are issues in the room, resolve them. Everyone pulls on the same rope in the same direction. 

2. Power play efficiency meaning both on and killing. 

3. Offensive mindset. Perfect is the enemy of good enough. Don't wait for the perfect shot; get the shot off.  

4. Conditioning. Yes, conditioning. The forwards need to get back faster and harder and transition better. The defense needs to work on positioning and transitions. The pace needs to be faster and that requires even better conditioning. I'm tired of seeing a D-to-D pass and the receiver being flat-footed and looking for a passing lane. Move. Go. 

I would add puck skills to the list - I can't remember a team that had such a tough time handling and accurately passing the puck.  We saw poor puck handling cost us many quick scoring opportunities as we had to take a minute to tee up the puck - especially on the power play.  We missed many open nets on misfires.  This also lead to the "chip it off the glass" mentality for our breakout.  It is hard to believe that this team is just two years away from the 7 pass highlight real goal.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Off-season homework:

I truly believe these issues played a direct role in the complete difference in 1st and 2nd half performance for this team. We've all read the rumors, trying to be as general as possibly, but this off-season will work positively in cleaning up that issue.

Included in this, I trust the staff in making decisions that will positively affect this team next year. If that means other players (pure speculation) have to leave, if it's attitude or school, then so be it. It's crucial that the team that's here next year is all on the same page, with the same goals and the same attitude.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The only reason Adams would leave is Garth Snow.  If he did I'm guessing it's the CHL before he signed anything with the Islanders. 

All I'm saying is that a skilled freshman forward didn't spend the end of the year in a suit because of Garth Snow

22 minutes ago, franchise said:

All I'm saying is that a skilled freshman forward didn't spend the end of the year in a suit because of Garth Snow

Since I brought up Garth Snow, I feel the need to clarify.  Mr Snow (see Oksposo) has shown that if player development is not up to his standards, he may promote change.  Note that a first rounder going to NHL is not what we have here, and I am of the opinion that UND's program is light years ahead of Lucia led gooferville.  With that said, sitting that many games, especially at the end of season, on a team lacking scoring, has to have raised eyebrows in the Islanders organization. I don't know mr adams at all, but I would not be surprised to learn that a young man is second guessing his choices because I am certain he wants to play.

4 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Since I brought up Garth Snow, I feel the need to clarify.  Mr Snow (see Oksposo) has shown that if player development is not up to his standards, he may promote change.  Note that a first rounder going to NHL is not what we have here, and I am of the opinion that UND's program is light years ahead of Lucia led gooferville.  With that said, sitting that many games, especially at the end of season, on a team lacking scoring, has to have raised eyebrows in the Islanders organization. I don't know mr adams at all, but I would not be surprised to learn that a young man is second guessing his choices because I am certain he wants to play.

Adams leaving or staying is going to depend upon what the coaches tell him where he needs to do to improve his game and how much he buys into it.  The talent is definitely there for him to be a major contributor and if he is committed to what the coaches tell him, I see no reason why he will not get plenty of ice time next season.  In some respect, I would see the say thing happening for MM.  Once the light bulb goes on for these 2 freshmen, I see both of them being major contributors in the future. 

Number 27. 

Yes, Number 27 in the country in goals scored per game. Under 3 goals per game. Yes, just 2.92 goals per game. 

That is not good enough.

That's a team that can't recover from a miscue, a bad hop off the boards, or any of the other myriad of misfortune goals-against that happen during games. 

And that's even if you are Number 12 in fewest goals allowed per game (same link, scroll, 2.38 GAPG). 

Let's look at this another way:
UND is scoring a half a goal (0.55) more per game than they give up.

UMD? 0.90 more. SCSU? 1.18 more. DU? 1.26 more.
All of them score more per game and two of the three give up fewer (SCSU at 2.49 is about even with UND at 2.38). 

The defense needs to at minimum hold serve (be as good as this season) and the offense needs to pick it up in 2018-19. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Number 27. 

Yes, Number 27 in the country in goals scored per game. Under 3 goals per game. Yes, just 2.92 goals per game. 

That is not good enough.

That's a team that can't recover from a miscue, a bad hop off the boards, or any of the other myriad of misfortune goals-against that happen during games. 

And that's even if you are Number 12 in fewest goals allowed per game (same link, scroll, 2.38 GAPG). 

Let's look at this another way:
UND is scoring a half a goal (0.55) more per game than they give up.

UMD? 0.90 more. SCSU? 1.18 more. DU? 1.26 more.
All of them score more per game and two of the three give up fewer (SCSU at 2.49 is about even with UND at 2.38). 

The defense needs to at minimum hold serve (be as good as this season) and the offense needs to pick it up in 2018-19. 

There you go. 

And those numbers really could not have surprised anyone going into the season, either.   Guys like Boeser and Schmaltz brought us a banner, but they left holes when they left, along with others.  Schmaltz is turning into a key part of Chicago's offense, and Boeser was headed for ROY.  Those guys don't come along very often.  Time to build back.

6 hours ago, franchise said:

Agreed.  I'm thinking that he's back hands down.  Definitely things for the young man to get tidied up. 

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

This would be his last eligible year.  This kids needs a few more years (obviously) before he heads to the pros.  CHL is not in his future.

Which is exactly why he is back in Grand Forks next year.  Doesn't make sense for him to sign, and what CHL team wants a kid that's going to age out after one season?  I should say what decent CHL team. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Let's concentrate on this team defensively next year. They lose Wolanin, who was their best player, but return everyone else. When looking at how a team will do year to year, what has me optimistic that they will hold serve or be better is they only lost one.

Wolanin - Poolman

Shaw - Bast

Peski - Kierstad

Rieger - Johnson (?)

You have 5 players from the starting lineup (plus 2 others who've played) returning, two of the starters being freshman this past year. As a group, they should improve enough to pick up the slack for Wolanin. You bring in Tychonick who by pretty much every metric is their best defensive recruit they've had since Schmaltz. 1st team all BCHL, PPG during regular season, averaging 1.63 PPG in the playoffs, sure fire 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft. 

Tychonick - Poolman (Not as dominant as the 1st D-pair last year)

Shaw - Bast (Better)

Peski - Kierstad (Better)

My money as a group, they will be better.

Goaltending: 

WIth a solid defense, I think SV% is much more important that GAA, both Thome and Johnson were at .910, which is solid, but not great. Scheel was 2nd team all BCHL, good number (.927) in the regular season, slipped a little in the playoffs.

Like this year, they'll have two solid goalies, I'm sure we'll see them trade off at the beginning of the year.

Overall, you lose Johnson and Wolanin and pick up Scheel / Tychonick. The Scheel / Tychonick combination has to be one of the better G / D incoming combinations in the country. 

32 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Coaching staff internal

Don't necessarily think that is a bad thing.  Need to get control of the team and doing it to start the year hopefully sets the tone for the season.  Need the team focused and that the goal is #9.