SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

30 minutes ago, tnt said:

We were right there with the best team in the country despite losing 8 guys early that last two years.  Let's see what happens if St. Cloud loses Schuldt, Borgen and Poehling.  

It's a lot to lose - however they have half of the selections for the NCHC all rookie team

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Irish said:

It's a lot to lose - however they have half of the selections for the NCHC all rookie team

It is frequently the case on the All-NCHC teams that to the victor go the spoils.  Unless a team doesn't have someone who sticks out, they most likely will get the benefit of the doubt between players that are close.  

34 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I've avoided this board for the most part since our season ended for good reason.  The thing that bothers me most is that fans(not all but some) are already pontificating the scenarios in which Coach Berry is let go after next year. The guy that literally is 2 years removed from winning us our 1st national championship after a 16 year drought where his predecessor(now being paid millions at the highest level of hockey and is a great coach) couldn't get the job done for us. The fact that some bobos are scripting our future demise of the next season and ousting of the head coach before we even hit summer is mind-boggling to me.  And it's not just on these boards btw... it's on twitter, people heard it in St. Paul this weekend, I heard it in Grand Forks. If the hockey program shared an inkling of the negativity and 'woe-is-me' attitude we wouldn't win a damn game.  Again, I don't believe everyone shares this mindset and I appreciate constructive conversation many on here provide but IMO to sift through the other crap to get there is almost not worth the effort anymore. 

When you win it all, you often times lose your core of elite players, except in Denver's case.  It is very hard to overcome that one year, but even harder when you lose another big part of the core the year after.  Personally, I believe that if Tyson Jost stays we are challenging St. Cloud and Denver for first place.  Our powerplay is improved, our penalty kill wouldn't have given us as many issues, and we have someone that can rise to the occasion in big games and as the games are deep in the third and overtime.  We had what, one shorthanded goal all year.  Jost gives us so many more shorthanded opportunities, and not only would we not have gotten to so many overtimes, those that we did get to might have fallen in our favor.  Say what you want, but the coaches fully expected him to be here a second year, rather than the 2nd one and done after Eddie Belfour.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

When you win it all, you often times lose your core of elite players, except in Denver's case.  It is very hard to overcome that one year, but even harder when you lose another big part of the core the year after.  Personally, I believe that if Tyson Jost stays we are challenging St. Cloud and Denver for first place.  Our powerplay is improved, our penalty kill wouldn't have given us as many issues, and we have someone that can rise to the occasion in big games and as the games are deep in the third and overtime.  We had what, one shorthanded goal all year.  Jost gives us so many more shorthanded opportunities, and not only would we not have gotten to so many overtimes, those that we did get to might have fallen in our favor.  Say what you want, but the coaches fully expected him to be here a second year, rather than the 2nd one and done after Eddie Belfour.  

I 100% agree with this. Jost leaving caught the team off guard and that happens. 

We would have had Jones centering our THIRD line this season had Jost been here.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I 100% agree with this. Jost leaving caught the team off guard and that happens. 

We would have had Jones centering our THIRD line this season had Jost been here.

I would’ve been tempted to put Jones on Jost’s wing at that point :lol:

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Adams needs to hit the weigh room hard. The reason he sat so much is that he gets knocked off the puck WAY too easily. When he gets space, he's got pure talent. But, he couldn't make space often enough because of this size. 

Hoff looked great great against Duluth. He'll be a key to next year.

I still must rather would've had his talent out there over Johnson. He looks like an unskilled defense-man playing forward...wait 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I still must rather would've had his talent out there over Johnson. He looks like an unskilled defense-man playing forward...wait 

I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying why I don't see it as a huge shock that Casey was in over him. Adams looked scared out there on a regular occasion. At least Casey would battle. Adams is just too small, at this point. Dude needs to hit the gym hard and I am confident he will. He and the team know he's got the goods.

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Dave Hakstol only had one team not have any first rounders...he won the WCHA Final Five.

Brad Berry without any first rounders...misses the playoffs and brings home no hardware.

Missed playoffs? ???

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Dave Hakstol only had one team not have any first rounders...he won the WCHA Final Five.

Brad Berry without any first rounders...misses the playoffs and brings home no hardware.

If only these seasons were played in a vacuum with all other variables being constant.

Then we could compare this cherry-picked piece of information to shed a negative light on the current coach.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Brad Berry without any first rounders...misses the  NCAA playoffs and brings home no hardware.

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

If only these seasons were played in a vacuum with all other variables being constant.

Then we could compare this cherry-picked piece of information to shed a negative light on the current coach.

Hahaha thank you!

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you on this point. We don't know what will happen to the underclassmen next year. But their lack of improvement throughout the course of this year is what is alarming people.

Agreed.  Those saying next year is done don’t know much about Hockey or the program, however those that think they’ll easily bounce back also may need some educating.  Their recruiting class next year is not supposed to be as good as this years class (Tychonik should be nice though). Barring the unknown departures, next years team could have trouble scoring again.  We’ll also have a younger goalie. The most important aspect this team needs heading into next year is development. They need some guys to take off. Guys like pogo, Olson, and Shaw should never have been on the PP.  This time should have been given to the younger skilled guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, scpa0305 said:

Agreed.  Those saying next year is done don’t know much about Hockey or the program, however those that think they’ll easily bounce back also may need some educating.  Their recruiting class next year is not supposed to be as good as this years class (Tychonik should be nice though). Barring the unknown departures, next years team could have trouble scoring again.  We’ll also have a younger goalie. The most important aspect this team needs heading into next year is development. They need some guys to take off. Guys like pogo, Olson, and Shaw should never have been on the PP.  This time should have been given to the younger skilled guys.

This...

This board has completely discounted our program being able to develop players based on YEARS of tradition doing so because of one rough season. The underclassmen will improve and I am confident it'll be enough to get us going in the right direction.

I disagree with Pogo not being on the PP, btw lol. He was perfect in the slot screening and putting away rebounds, IMO.

22 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying why I don't see it as a huge shock that Casey was in over him. Adams looked scared out there on a regular occasion. At least Casey would battle. Adams is just too small, at this point. Dude needs to hit the gym hard and I am confident he will. He and the team know he's got the goods.

Adams has muscle...he’s not getting too much bigger.  He should have played through his struggles.  Berry far too quick to pull the plug on some guys.  He’s too quick to pull the plug on Johnson at D too. There has been some games where I thought Johnson looked very solid...and he was only a freshmen/sophomore.  This thinking that guys have to be 100% developed immediately is ridiculous.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This...

This board has completely discounted our program being able to develop players based on YEARS of tradition doing so because of one rough season. The underclassmen will improve and I am confident it'll be enough to get us going in the right direction.

I disagree with Pogo not being on the PP, btw lol. He was perfect in the slot screening and putting away rebounds, IMO.

But he doesn’t produce.  He’s a good hustle guy and good penalty killer...he’s just not a PP guy.  Shot isn’t great and his vision isn’t good.  Plays with grit though. How many pp points did he have this year?

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Adams has muscle...he’s not getting too much bigger.  He should have played through his struggles.  Berry to far to quick to pull the plug on some guys.  He’s too quick to pull the plug on Johnson at D too. There has been some games where I thought Johnson looked very solid...and he was only a freshmen/sophomore.  This thinking that guys have to be 100% developed immediately is ridiculous.

Thank you for saying this. The overreaction has been nuts the past two days. 

I'm just speaking from my observations of Adams as he's looked like he is afraid to battle and take a hit. And that causes him to cough up the puck too much. I don't disagree that Bubbs seems to pull the plug too quick, at times. But, we've blasted him on here in the past for not pulling it quick enough, too (Cam vs. Thome) and more often than not, that turns out ok. Adams is going to get his opportunity in 18-19, but he's gotta toughen up. He's so talented.

20 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Brad Berry without any first rounders...misses the  NCAA playoffs and brings home no hardware.

As I recall, you were one of the people that continually were ripping Hakstol for not winning the Big One. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

But he doesn’t produce.  He’s a good hustle guy and good penalty killer...he’s just not a PP guy.  Shot isn’t great and his vision isn’t good.  Plays with grit though. How many pp points did he have this year?

Not sure and too lazy to dig it up lol. It's kind of besides the point, anyway.