SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

We won ONE game in the 2nd half when either Gardner or Jones were out injured. That’s the stretch of games that did us in. Win one more of those and we’re not having this conversation. 

This team just ran out of time. The overreaction is insane. The pieces are there, the issues are fixable. 

Agreed.... Hmmm... two of our best players are hurt.... both of which are centermen.... we played Johnny Simonson as our second-line center. No big deal... this team HAS to make the tournament with this. LOL.

4 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

See Kyle Oksposo....

general manager Garth Snow told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "Quite frankly, we weren't happy with the program. They have a responsibility to coach, to make Kyle a better player, and they were not doing that.

That was a Minnesota thing at the time, not an NCAA thing.   If they choose to go down that path, the Islanders will end up paying for it.  Go where you can get the best players.  Where would the Bruins be without the influx of talent from the NCAA, Donato being the latest. 

6 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Connor Gaarder was a nice player, but he never really lit it up.  But since you brought him up, that is exactly the problem with the team this year and more than likely next year.  It is loaded with a bunch of Connor Gaarder skill level players (3rd/4th line blue collar players).  This team needs some juice and the scary part is several of the guys most capable of providing it were healthy scratches at the end (Hoff, Adams).

AGAIN.... this is assuming our current players won't develop and that all of the freshmen coming in are EXACTLY what their juniors numbers are... this is such a stupid assumption. 

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Agreed.... Hmmm... two of our best players are hurt.... both of which are centermen.... we played Johnny Simonson as our second-line center. No big deal... this team HAS to make the tournament with this. LOL.

If you wanna use the injury excuse, Western Michigan was decimated by injuries much worse than the Sioux were 2nd half of year.  Without those injuries (including a Hobey candidate) Western Michigan probbaly doesn't drop below UND in the standings.

12 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Didn't last season have issues, are you stating that if year 3 doesn't step up you will worry?

I mean, I thought our 16-17 team was playing pretty d@mn well at the end of the year and it took a call that would be a legal play this season to keep us out of the regional final. 

All seasons have issues ... outside of 15-16, of course :)

Just now, TheFlop said:

If you wanna use the injury excuse, Western Michigan was decimated by injuries much worse than the Sioux were 2nd half of year.  Without those injuries (including a Hobey candidate) Western Michigan probbaly doesn't drop below UND in the standings.

And what's your point? They missed the tourney, too.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

AGAIN.... this is assuming our current players won't develop and that all of the freshmen coming in are EXACTLY what their juniors numbers are... this is such a stupid assumption. 

Assuming that only members of the Sioux will progress during the off-season but every other team's players won't is the stupid assumption.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Connor Gaarder was a nice player, but he never really lit it up.  But since you brought him up, that is exactly the problem with the team this year and more than likely next year.  It is loaded with a bunch of Connor Gaarder skill level players (3rd/4th line blue collar players).  This team needs some juice and the scary part is several of the guys most capable of providing it were healthy scratches at the end (Hoff, Adams).

We were right there with the best team in the country despite losing 8 guys early that last two years.  Let's see what happens if St. Cloud loses Schuldt, Borgen and Poehling.  

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Irish said:

So what needs to happen to get this program back on track?  Some ideas -

Much of what needs to take place is in the coaches heads - Can Berry be introspective enough to take a hard, honest look at this season and make some changes?  This is an ability not all coaches have - Rudolph has none, Bubba - we'll see but so far not much, Berry ?????  Some things to look at:  are my assistants doing what is needed? Can they come up with a good power play, assist in player development, and importantly bring contacts and sales ability to recruiting?  This year was horrible in all three aspects - player development was nill, our power play was an embarrassment, and we put out the least talented team in decades.  Do we need to change recruiting philosophy or at least make some adjustments?  Not only are we lacking blue chippers, we seem to have a line-up of almost all grinders.  Team chemistry is important, but with all of our emphasis on team culture in recruiting we saw that with 18-22 year old men things can easily go sideways - do we need to rethink team leadership?  What can we do in the recruiting arena to get back to a championship level - our evaluation of talent appears to need adjustment - we have many guys who score at a level below but can't put the puck in the net or adjust to the speed of the college game.  Our sophomore class has been a big bust - St. Cloud State has 3 on the all rookie team - since when are they kicking our butts in recruiting?   Finally, does this season piss the coaches off as much as many of the fans?  Do they have a fire in their belly to turn this around?  This upcoming year is a crucial year for our program and may indicate whether we can get back to the top or start a long slide.  I hope our staff is up to the challenge.

I think one thing that needs to be taken into account is the desire of a lot of the young players to play close enough to home so parents and friends can watch them play.  So I think alot of our recruiting depends on the strength of the programs in western Minn, Nodak and western Canada and our ability to get the best of these kids.  I know there is a certain percent of kids who will move a long ways from home, but my gut tells me the expensive private schools in hockey have a better chance of luring these kids away than UND does.  Believe it or not The Ralph is not the only factor.  

1 minute ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Poolman captain with Jones as the A

Wolanin gone but with a big drop in production I wouldn't be surprised to see Gersich back. 

Thome will be solid. 

Surprised Adams and Hoff got so little of ice time when we had guys like Mishmash out there playing half assed. 

Adams needs to hit the weigh room hard. The reason he sat so much is that he gets knocked off the puck WAY too easily. When he gets space, he's got pure talent. But, he couldn't make space often enough because of this size. 

Hoff looked great great against Duluth. He'll be a key to next year.

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Adams needs to hit the weigh room hard. The reason he sat so much is that he gets knocked off the puck WAY too easily. When he gets space, he's got pure talent. But, he couldn't make space often enough because of this size. 

Hoff looked great great against Duluth. He'll be a key to next year.

Put Adams on a line with a good defensive player like (hopefully) Gardner to offset defensive shortcomings and free up some space for him to get his shot off. :D

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I've avoided this board for the most part since our season ended for good reason.  The thing that bothers me most is that fans(not all but some) are already pontificating the scenarios in which Coach Berry is let go after next year. The guy that literally is 2 years removed from winning us our 1st national championship after a 16 year drought where his predecessor(now being paid millions at the highest level of hockey and is a great coach) couldn't get the job done for us. The fact that some bobos are scripting our future demise of the next season and ousting of the head coach before we even hit summer is mind-boggling to me.  And it's not just on these boards btw... it's on twitter, people heard it in St. Paul this weekend, I heard it in Grand Forks. If the hockey program shared an inkling of the negativity and 'woe-is-me' attitude we wouldn't win a damn game.  Again, I don't believe everyone shares this mindset and I appreciate constructive conversation many on here provide but IMO to sift through the other crap to get there is almost not worth the effort anymore. 

Bravo. I agree. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I've avoided this board for the most part since our season ended for good reason.  The thing that bothers me most is that fans(not all but some) are already pontificating the scenarios in which Coach Berry is let go after next year. The guy that literally is 2 years removed from winning us our 1st national championship after a 16 year drought where his predecessor(now being paid millions at the highest level of hockey and is a great coach) couldn't get the job done for us. The fact that some bobos are scripting our future demise of the next season and ousting of the head coach before we even hit summer is mind-boggling to me.  And it's not just on these boards btw... it's on twitter, people heard it in St. Paul this weekend, I heard it in Grand Forks. If the hockey program shared an inkling of the negativity and 'woe-is-me' attitude we wouldn't win a damn game.  Again, I don't believe everyone shares this mindset and I appreciate constructive conversation many on here provide but IMO to sift through the other crap to get there is almost not worth the effort anymore. 

I’ve had a hard time with this also. 

I am very thankful to have a guy like Brad Berry leading our program. I may not always agree with his decisions, but that’s okay. He’s pure class and a great representative for this program. 

I mean, imagine if we had a coach like the d-bag out at Quinnipiac... :glare:

• Upvote 2