SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2018

cberkas

56 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If Rocco had some teammates that were remotely on his level it would have been a very different story. Instead he was a one-man show much like Wolanin this year.

Well then Jost sure made Gersich look good last year.  Great players bring up the level of play of the people around them.  

6 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Early departure Derek Forbort took a skate to the ear from another early departure Zach Parise. This is why you shouldn't leave early.:D   

Wow. That ear is a mess. 

Too bad Derek plays in a city where there's nary a plastic surgeon to be found ... ;)

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd guess a new signee at a hockey city like Ottawa gets just a wee bit of attention, too. Not to mention, you are getting paid to play hockey. Is this really an argument? Lol

Haha.  These kids only go to und to have a shot at the NHL.  Even the undrafted ones pick und to develop them into being a professional hockey player (at any level).  Most players learn the tradition and the want for a natty while at und.  Und would just be another stop along the way to their ultimate goal.  Most fans (especially that never played the game) don’t understand that. It’s similar to those folks who get upset when a soon to be senior in HS decides to play junior hockey rather than for their hometown HS team...they need to bring in a sense of community and “how could you not want to play one more year with your best friends”.  

These kids are hockey players first with the goal of playing in the NHL. Due to the NCAA loophole, I do think most kids get pushed far too quickly however.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

This one is so odd to me.  5th rounder, put up big numbers while playing with two NHL players at the college level and never did much beyond that.  I mean he played first line minutes and in all situations this year and for a large majority of the year he struggled.  

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

This one is so odd to me.  5th rounder, put up big numbers while playing with two NHL players at the college level and never did much beyond that.  I mean he played first line minutes and in all situations this year and for a large majority of the year he struggled.  

Well, he'll be playing with two NHLers if he makes the show. Shane can play. He's got the talent. He was the Caps MVP in development camp, so they obviously value him a lot and don't want to lose him to FA. 

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Play with better talent, put up more points/have better opportunities.  What’s so hard to figure out?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Jost is an interesting case, as the Avalanche were in the toilet as a franchise and had nothing in the cupboard to begin with. He was almost guaranteed to play in the NHL. Otherwise, I don't think he would have left.

Parise would have stayed in school if he knew the lockout was coming for 2004-05. So he was stuck in the minors for that year.

I'd have to refresh my memory, but I think it was to Parise's benefit to get to the NHL before the lockout, knowing that a lockout was coming. I think this way he could sign a larger rookie deal as the rules on that were about to change. Something along those lines...

I actually think if there wasn't a lockout coming that year, he may have stayed.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Ray77 said:

I'd have to refresh my memory, but I think it was to Parise's benefit to get to the NHL before the lockout, knowing that a lockout was coming. I think this way he could sign a larger rookie deal as the rules on that were about to change. Something along those lines...

yes the new contract after the lockout set the rookie contracts at the same price.

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

If the rumors on here are true, it could be that he just wanted a new start/fresh scene, and leaving early would accomplish that.

Hoping it works out well for Shane.  Maybe the Caps system is more conducive to his style of play.  Living in AZ, I remember how much hype there was here for Hextall when he signed early with the Coyotes.  That didn't work out very well but hopefully Shane's career goes well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ChetSteadman said:

Play with better talent, put up more points/have better opportunities.  What’s so hard to figure out?

We’ll see I guess. Play against tougher competion, have to have vision and playmaking ability at that level (even the A).  Unless your big.

• Upvote 1