SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2018

cberkas

1 minute ago, siouxstudent said:

Jost was interviewed last week and claimed he made the right move. (Who knows if he actually was saying how he really felt)

Some former players have come back and talked to the team about the perils of leaving school early, because they left early and wish they hadn't. Unless you are a sure-fire NHL starter or are really close to being one, they should think twice about leaving early. Otherwise, I hope they invest their signing bonuses wisely.

10 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

i don't disagree with you at all but when an $800k lump sum is starring at you in the face what would you do? I don't blame him and i do wish he stayed to develop as well. Now, I fully believe Gersich should stay another year. He could parlay a big senior year for a better contract.

Here's the link to Wolanin's new deal.

$832,500 with a bonus of $92,500.00 -- 925,000.00 a year.

6 minutes ago, siouxstudent said:

Jost was interviewed last week and claimed he made the right move. (Who knows if he actually was saying how he really felt)

Jost is an interesting case, as the Avalanche were in the toilet as a franchise and had nothing in the cupboard to begin with. He was almost guaranteed to play in the NHL. Otherwise, I don't think he would have left.

Parise would have stayed in school if he knew the lockout was coming for 2004-05. So he was stuck in the minors for that year.

I doubt most who leave early regret it.

They make money and don't have to do homework, while getting one step closer of their dreams of being a pro hockey player.

It's getting more and more rare for any player to not sign after their junior year at UND.

It's a pretty good bet Poolman will be gone after next year too.

Just now, Cratter said:

I doubt most who leave early regret it.

They make money and don't have to do homework, while getting one step closer of their dreams of being a pro hockey player.

It's getting more and more rare for any player to not sign after their junior year at UND.

It's a pretty good bet Poolman will be gone after next year too.

Depends on how successful their career was after leaving early.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Depends on how successful their career was after leaving early.

I don't think so. There is no guarantee to make more money after their junior year. One could argue they could even develop more in the AHL than another year at UND while getting paid.

I don't think someone like Rocco who has spent most of his time in the AHL and only a little in the NHL, sits there at night really wishing he'd have played four years of college instead of only three.

13 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I don't think so. There is no guarantee to make more money after their junior year. One could argue they could even develop more in the AHL than another year at UND while getting paid.

I don't think someone like Rocco who has spent most of his time in the AHL and only a little in the NHL, sits there at night really wishing he'd have played four years of college instead of only three.

Careful, this is an argument for kids to not play college hockey at all. #majorjuniorsucks

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Like I said above, I am not talking about the sure-fire, can't-miss NHL prospects. I am talking about guys like Ryan Bayda, Jason Gregoire and Brett Hextall (referenced above). But keep ignoring the posts you want to ignore if you wish.

Only read the one post.

From The Schloss Blog:

In the last two years, 73 players have turned pro early and fewer than half of them have played in the NHL.

Draft position has been a major factor.

A total of 19 first- and second-round picks have left early the last two years, and 17 of them have played in the NHL (90 percent).

However, of the remaining 54 players, roughly 75 percent of them have NOT played a single NHL game.

That screams to me:
- if you're a first or second rounder and they're paying, go, you'll be in the show
- if you're not that, you won't be seeing the NHL any time soon

So, knowing that, the decision is: You want AHL money or a degree. You liking college or want out. 

• Upvote 2