SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

So Wisconsin and Iowa St can’t get at large bids?  What planet do you live on? Almost every power team plays at least one MEAC or SWAC school.

MEAC and SWAC teams are considered upper level teams compared to DII, DIII and NAIA schools by the selection committee.

SDSU really needed a Memphis win.  Their at large bid probabilities are about over.

What the f? You claimed SDSU was trying to get an autobid with wins over those crap D1 teams. The Bunnies need to win games against ranked or upper mid-major programs.  They are not a power team.  The committee also views the MEAC and SWAC schools as pointless to a resume.  Beating the #307 team in the country is not a resume builder for anyone.

Big 10 and Big 12 teams don't need to rely on three crap wins, they play a tough conference schedule and get some wins against teams that aren't junk. 

The content in your posts is something else....

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, southpaw said:

What the f? You claimed SDSU was trying to get an autobid with wins over those crap D1 teams. The Bunnies need to win games against ranked or upper mid-major programs.  They are not a power team.  The committee also views the MEAC and SWAC schools as pointless to a resume.  Beating the #307 team in the country is not a resume builder for anyone.

Big 10 and Big 12 teams don't need to rely on three crap wins, they play a tough conference schedule and get some wins against teams that aren't junk. 

The content in your posts is something else....

Alabama St, Southern and Savannah St are 1000 times more credible to the selection committee than Northland College, UM Morris and Mayville St.  it’s pretty simple but some don’t have the brain means to process it.

And it costs SDSU probably 10 times more, and it doesn’t make a difference because SDSU has already lost to three middling DI teams.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Alabama St, Southern and Savannah St are 1000 times more credible to the selection committee than Northland College, UM Morris and Mayville St.  it’s pretty simple but some don’t have the brain means to process it.

And it costs SDSU probably 10 times more, and it doesn’t make a difference because SDSU has already lost to three middling DI teams,

Of course they are more credible but that doesn't make them credible.  A hot dog from a street vendor in a dark alley at 4am is more credible than a hot dog from a homeless person but it's still not a good idea.

Yes, SDSU didn't want to play a bunch of DII and NAIA teams but they weren't scheduling those teams to get an autobid because beating them would not have helped them at all if they had a resume that included wins over ranked, power or upper-mid-major teams.

• Upvote 2

On 12/12/2018 at 2:46 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Basketball ain't the way it used to be in the Field-house.

I agree

i was around during the late 70s and early 80s

sure was fun and the place rocked 

we owned the South Dakota schools

but I am old now and my stories get better each year!

11 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I agree

i was around during the late 70s and early 80s

sure was fun and the place rocked 

we owned the South Dakota schools

but I am old now and my stories get better each year!

Me early 70's, went to a lot of games in your school days too. We used to be glued - eyeballs on the action. Boisterous!

Sending a text then was

Image result for picture of sending a text 

• Upvote 1

I was around too and you couldn’t get a ticket to the NDSU game and you had to phone in on a rotary phone to request a ticket which they wouldn’t sell to you unless you were part of the GOBC club back then 

now go online and print your own ticket

• Upvote 2

I too remember going to the games at the field house what environment to play in. The large crowds and how the Sioux dominated at home in men's basketball. The game was different than it is today but quality of passing and shooting was good. Also some of good players UND had back in that era and how fun it was to watch them play as a team. I remember in the mid 70's when Gunther had those deep teams where he had second 5 nearly as good as first 5 he would substitute whole 5 when things weren't going well that second 5 could turn the game around. I also remember he had some of the division one schools come in they would beat those teams until nobody would come here to play because of that.  The basketball game was the sport to be watched then and Sioux hockey was second sport to watch in the winter. All that has changed now with hockey becoming the more popular ticket. I wonder if they can get some this back with Summit conference now because their are a lot of traditional rivalries of the past. The first thing will be needed is that UND and NDSU must get their basketball programs back to where they are competing for conference champions. If they do this the old rivalries with SD schools will become like they were once were because both these schools are still running good programs in basketball. Then you add in Sioux Bison rivalry you could start to get fan interest back into the basketball programs.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Summit is now rated the 29th league by RPI, mixing it up with the MEAC and SWAC.

Meanwhile the Big Sky is up to 16th.  Don’t think UND switching had much to with those conference switching places.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/conferencerpi

We are the 3rd worst in the SL and if we were in the Big Sky we would have the second worst RPI. Maybe us moving built up their RPI while dragging down the SL even more. 353 is the worst in DI and we are at 312. Pathetic. 

I don't take much stock in these rankings of teams especially when you get past 150 mark for the schools. I have seen over the years your looking at teams above that range all have weaknesses compared to the top teams and usually are made up young players. Meaning that if these teams get matchup against another team that exploits that weakness they are going to loose or vice versa they can beat team that is supposedly better than them. Also in college basketball it all depends if your playing on the road or at home to if you have chance to win. The small mid major clubs its all about trying to win your conference that truly what the season is about. The fact is we all know the score here for most of mid major conferences is one an done in NCAA tournament and at best then is if you can pull upset chance winning second game is pretty small. I guess I don't understand why NCAA has separate division in division 1 for football and everyone is okay with that but not with basketball because basically the same conferences that are in division 1 FCS are bottom conferences in Division 1 basketball.  I guess that why we have these other college tournaments going on at same time of NCAA tournament but get very little attention with exception NIT when it gets to NEW York but usually that is teams of large conference playing in the championship. If winners of the mid major conferences were part of the NIT I could see where they could make it to  New York for the final field. But getting back UND it will be interesting how this team improves as season goes when it gets into conference play and if they are good enough to make the conference tournament. Then we will see what type of team we have here and how it developed for the season. If the rankings are right we would make conference tournament but loose in the first round and if improve for the year would be we would win the opening round and loose in the semifinals of conference tournament. A really successful year would be reaching the conference finals with this young team. My expectations or hopes is we reach the semifinals of the conference tournament if that is case we should have pretty good group of players with some additions for next year to be contender in the conference for championship.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Current Standings:

SDSU 5-1  (10 games left)

Omaha 4-1 (11 games left)

Purdue-Ft. Wayne 4-2 (10 games left)

ORU 4-2 (10 games left)

NDSU 3-3 (10 games left)

USD 2-3 (11 games left)

UND 2-5 (9 games left)

WIU 2-5 (9 games left)

------------------------------------------  (the cut off for the tournament)

DU 1-5 (10 games left)

Games today: ORU at DU, USD at Omaha

Fun fact: No one in the conference has a winning record overall on the road. SDSU is 4-4.

Best case scenario, I see 5 more wins for the Hawks this season assuming we take care of NDSU at home and split with USD.

I wonder what Seales' status will be going forward.  Just speculation on my part, but he looked like he could possibly be in concussion protocol.  Hope he's okay, that would be a big loss, but more importantly, I think he has a history of concussions...............

8 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I wonder what Seales' status will be going forward.  Just speculation on my part, but he looked like he could possibly be in concussion protocol.  Hope he's okay, that would be a big loss, but more importantly, I think he has a history of concussions...............

That'd be really unfortunate. He catches a lot of flak here for shooting 3s, but he's a leader on this relatively young team and he is very good when he sticks to his game.