SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

8 hours ago, homer said:

Where did I say he was great?  My point is what is Jones’ system?  He knows what he wants to be and recruits to a system.  

Also, at our level peaking at tournament time is what’s important so his peices fit at exactly the right time.  

He had to change or he was gone. So they started attacking the lane instead of all the perimeter BS. Up to that point his system sucked.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:02 AM, UND1983 said:

Dude, they were dogsh-t most of the year and then started hitting tons of 3s out of nowhere and suddenly became a great team.  What?  Let's all slow our roll a bit, he didn't instantly become a better coach in early March.

Those pieces he recruited didn't fit worth a damn until the Summit League tourney.  

You can think that if you want, but the second half of the conference season on they were as good as anybody in the conference. They lost a couple of close games that could have gone either way. They had a lot of first year players and injuries and it took awhile to get used to playing together. Eady and Greisel were freshmen that are going to be very good and much better next year. They will be the team to beat,  And as long as Stewart is your starting point guard, UND will not win the tourney. 

2 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

You can think that if you want, but the second half of the conference season on they were as good as anybody in the conference. They lost a couple of close games that could have gone either way. They had a lot of first year players and injuries and it took awhile to get used to playing together. Eady and Greisel were freshmen that are going to be very good and much better next year. They will be the team to beat,  And as long as Stewart is your starting point guard, UND will not win the tourney. 

They also won some close games that could have gone either way.  UND also has freshman that are going to be very good and improve next year.  

I never left either UND/NDSU game thinking FU is better than UND but did feel NDSU played their style of basketball better than UND.  

Tim Miles has elderly parents that live an hour from Brookings. UN-L is on the hook to pay him another $2.5 million through March, 2021. The salary he gets in a new job reduces the payments, similar to what happened when Bo Pellini went to Youngstown to coach after UN-L fired him. So unless he gets a job offer that pays more than $1.25 million/year, he's not really losing anything. On top of that, guessing he made somewhere north of $11 million in the 7 years he was a Nebraska plus the buyout, so I doubt he's hurting for money. Could he be interested in a couple year stint back near his home? I'm all for it just for the entertainment purposes. 

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Tim Miles has elderly parents that live an hour from Brookings. UN-L is on the hook to pay him another $2.5 million through March, 2021. The salary he gets in a new job reduces the payments, similar to what happened when Bo Pellini went to Youngstown to coach after UN-L fired him. So unless he gets a job offer that pays more than $1.25 million/year, he's not really losing anything. On top of that, guessing he made somewhere north of $11 million in the 7 years he was a Nebraska plus the buyout, so I doubt he's hurting for money. Could he be interested in a couple year stint back near his home? I'm all for it just for the entertainment purposes. 

All the connections you mention do make sense, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Miles lands another head job at a Big 12 or MWC school.  He's a really talented coach and is really good in the interview room.  

I might be a bit biased though because I got to know him a bit while he was at Mayville St.  I've just always been impressed by him both on and off the court.

I'd say there is a higher probability that Saul Phillips has substantial interest in the SDSU job.  He won't have near as many options as Miles will, but Saul is solid as well.  

On 3/27/2019 at 3:47 PM, Shawn-O said:

Late to the party. Paul Sather of Northern State seems like an interesting candidate for a future (hopeful) job opening, but that is only based on the one article blurb.