SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

I guess when it comes to the argument of having double-headers, will save $'s, I never really been able to see it that way.  Attendance, wise, that's maybe a slightly better argument.  But I know I'm not alone, when I say that I will not go to a double-header.  I will choose one game or the other, that just takes up too much of my day to go to both games. Honestly,  I can say I've gotten spoiled of realizing how nice it was not having to sit through 2 games once we made the move to D1 and the Big Sky.  I can equate it to how the movie Stepbrothers...where they make their beds into bunk beds and they realize they have "so much more room for activities"...that's what I realized for me only in my case in had to do with "my time", when we stopped essentially scheduling double-headers.'

I would say that we go to both Women's and Men's basketball now as a family quite frequently especially during the conference season.  Cause it's been Thursday/Saturday- no matter if it's men's or women's.  It's been easy to get into that routine. If they started doing more double-headers again, we'll probably try just go to one or the other.

1 hour ago, the green team said:

I guess when it comes to the argument of having double-headers, will save $'s, I never really been able to see it that way.  Attendance, wise, that's maybe a slightly better argument.  But I know I'm not alone, when I say that I will not go to a double-header.  I will choose one game or the other, that just takes up too much of my day to go to both games. Honestly,  I can say I've gotten spoiled of realizing how nice it was not having to sit through 2 games once we made the move to D1 and the Big Sky.  I can equate it to how the movie Stepbrothers...where they make their beds into bunk beds and they realize they have "so much more room for activities"...that's what I realized for me only in my case in had to do with "my time", when we stopped essentially scheduling double-headers.'

I would say that we go to both Women's and Men's basketball now as a family quite frequently especially during the conference season.  Cause it's been Thursday/Saturday- no matter if it's men's or women's.  It's been easy to get into that routine. If they started doing more double-headers again, we'll probably try just go to one or the other.

I'm sure many fans feel the same way. I have become to like to go into The Betty for a quick game and your back to your own time. Also, so easy and quick to get in and out. FB and MH not so much.

Edit: Most opposing school fans don't also go to hockey games, a competition here between the sports to get the fans, so to say.

If you want to take in a road game, much easier to justify seeing 2 games rather then 1.  Not sure how it works with travel partners, but I could see catching 2 games at SDSU, than 2 day's later 2 at USD.  I've heard some people complain that there is basketball every Thurs and Saturday, you don't get a break if you want to make every game.  IMO Basketball games go to quick, If you are going to go I'd rather stay for 2.

41 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

If you're coming from a distance, it's  nice to see two games in a row. 

Very true.  Best sports weekend I've ever had was a weekend a year ago November when we got to see two BB games and a hockey game on Friday and a football game and a hockey game on Saturday, with a lot of Red Pepper in between:).  Well worth the long trip (675 miles one way).

• Like 1

At what point is it cheaper to Charter a plane than purchase X amount of Tickets.  Hockey team charters a plane everywhere they fly.   BB teams with players and coaches is about the same size as a hockey team.

I call BS if the Women's team can't wait for the Men's game to be done before leaving on a Bus.  If going back to Hotel, the bus makes 2 trips.  If leaving they can wait an extra 2 hours.

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

At what point is it cheaper to Charter a plane than purchase X amount of Tickets.  Hockey team charters a plane everywhere they fly.   BB teams with players and coaches is about the same size as a hockey team.

I call BS if the Women's team can't wait for the Men's game to be done before leaving on a Bus.  If going back to Hotel, the bus makes 2 trips.  If leaving they can wait an extra 2 hours.

Just knowing the NCC days, they for example the Women would leave after a game in Mankato and head to Sioux Falls and Augustana, because they had early practice in Sioux Falls the next day...while the men would stay in Mankato after their game and leave the next day.   Bus trips also offer time for Coach's to address their team, and interact with their team. What is said to their team, more than likely is meant just for them. Not saying I agree or disagree, but I don't see that changing.   To your other point, no idea what charters cost.  Good question

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

If you're coming from a distance, it's  nice to see two games in a row. 

That's a fair point, which I understand.  And maybe if I went on the road I would prefer that. However, where do the majority of the fans come to games from...probably 30 mile radius.  Do you cater to the few that are coming long distance or the many that are the majority of your attendance?  It's kind of like the question along the same lines of those who talk about why isn't the Marketing department running a whole bunch of ads in Minot and or Bismarck and for hypothetical purposes let's use season basketball tickets.   Again, just for an example if their budget was 50K, and they spent 15K of it in that/those markets and got 7 people to buy 7 tickets is that a good return on investment?  Where if they were to spend it in around the immediate area, where most people are more likely able to get to the games, wouldn't that be money better spent.

And to the point of many that I've visited with at The Betty, very few seem to be clamoring for the return of double-headers.  And the feeling I get is with the way current college basketball games are being called by the officials, timeouts used by the coaches  and media timeouts etc...they already seem to be plenty long for most.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, the green team said:

That's a fair point, which I understand.  And maybe if I went on the road I would prefer that. However, where do the majority of the fans come to games from...probably 30 mile radius.  Do you cater to the few that are coming long distance or the many that are the majority of your attendance?  It's kind of like the question along the same lines of those who talk about why isn't the Marketing department running a whole bunch of ads in Minot and or Bismarck and for hypothetical purposes let's use season basketball tickets.   Again, just for an example if their budget was 50K, and they spent 15K of it in that/those markets and got 7 people to buy 7 tickets is that a good return on investment?  Where if they were to spend it in around the immediate area, where most people are more likely able to get to the games, wouldn't that be money better spent.

And to the point of many that I've visited with at The Betty, very few seem to be clamoring for the return of double-headers.  And the feeling I get is with the way current college basketball games are being called by the officials, timeouts used by the coaches  and media timeouts etc...they already seem to be plenty long for most.

I've always said if I was told I had 10 minutes to live I would want to be at a televised close basketball game cus with all the called and media timeouts it takes an eternity.  My God coaches, let them play.    

• Upvote 1

Who dressed that guy for that picture? 

Let's be clear: I'll never be confused with someone on the cover of GQ magazine but, good lord, it looks like he was wearing a decent shirt and blue jeans and someone said "We need a picture!" so he borrowed a suit coat from one person and a tie from another. 

If that's how he normally dresses, well, either (a) he needed the better job for better wardrobe, or (b) it's South Dakota (yeesh). 

10 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

To be more accurate, it's just one of the names the beat writer tossed out. He even states he doesn't know whether there is interest from USD or the candidates in any of them.

However Horner is becoming a bit of a trendy name getting tossed around.

• 1 month later...