Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bounce

2018-19 Season

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

It is an interesting dynamic that on the UND hockey team, anytime a solid/star player leaves early to better himself he is still revered.......while on the UND basketball team the player that leaves early to attempt the same thing is ridiculed.  

Would your hockey guy be revered if he left early to play college hockey at say . . . Minnesota.   See the difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand the frustration of a fan seeing Geno leave, but I think it's best to just wish him well and hope he is successful in his next venture.  I would have loved seeing him play his last year for UND, but it isn't in the cards and we need to move on and cheer for the rest of the team that is here.

Good luck Geno!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Hambone said:

I can understand the frustration of a fan seeing Geno leave, but I think it's best to just wish him well and hope he is successful in his next venture.  I would have loved seeing him play his last year for UND, but it isn't in the cards and we need to move on and cheer for the rest of the team that is here.

Good luck Geno!

I think frustration is what sums it up for most fans.  It just seems odd that during college when you make lifelong friends that you would leave for a one and done scenario when professional opportunities wouldn't really improve.  I certainly can see if you are looking at different educational opportunities, but you would think that a bonding experience such as the trip to the NCAA last year would really make leaving your friends for another school difficult without those opportunities.  But as you say, hope he does well and is an impact player for the team he chooses, because that would reflect well on our level of basketball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tnt said:

I think frustration is what sums it up for most fans.  It just seems odd that during college when you make lifelong friends that you would leave for a one and done scenario when professional opportunities wouldn't really improve.  I certainly can see if you are looking at different educational opportunities, but you would think that a bonding experience such as the trip to the NCAA last year would really make leaving your friends for another school difficult without those opportunities.  But as you say, hope he does well and is an impact player for the team he chooses, because that would reflect well on our level of basketball. 

Someone other than me said it best.... it feels so good to be recruited. Some just need to revive that feeling again. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to know how many grad transfers actually stay 1.5-2 years and get the masters degree (considering they only play one year).  NCAA have a study on that?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, tnt said:

I think frustration is what sums it up for most fans.  It just seems odd that during college when you make lifelong friends that you would leave for a one and done scenario when professional opportunities wouldn't really improve.  I certainly can see if you are looking at different educational opportunities, but you would think that a bonding experience such as the trip to the NCAA last year would really make leaving your friends for another school difficult without those opportunities.  But as you say, hope he does well and is an impact player for the team he chooses, because that would reflect well on our level of basketball. 

Add in the fact that he actually hasn't even graduated yet and is apparently going to have to work pretty hard just to do so this summer and I think your comment is pretty spot on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is interesting to me because I agree with a lot of what people on the board are saying both ways.  For me, the bottom line is that Geno needs to do what he thinks is best for him and his future.  Right or wrong it is for him to decide and the current rules allow for it to happen.  It is unfortunate that loyalty to a school, program, and coach is largely a thing of the past.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

Fair enough.  I don't recall fans of UND boycotting games last year when UND kept him around for his junior season though.  

Nice. Keep flopping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I hope I know the answer to this, but, is he still getting tutoring help from our athletic department?  

I am quite sure the answer is "no"!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Seems to be a trend. Best get use to it.

We are used to it. But in this case he is going out of his way to try to be a big-time grad transfer when it really doesn't apply, in my opinion. 19 credits... really?  Joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

 he is going out of his way to try to be a big-time grad transfer when it really doesn't apply.

What does that even mean?

He wants to play somewhere else just like Berstine, Shanks, and Jones.

No need to get hell bent because of it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

What does that even mean?

He wants to play somewhere else just like Berstine, Shanks, and Jones.

No need to get hell bent because of it.

Sorry, Dad.  If you would look into the back story of it you would realize why people see it as a farce.  He wouldn't even be in this position if not for the entire coaching staff holding his hand for 4 years.  

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Sorry, Dad.  If you would look into the back story of it you would realize why people see it as a farce.  He wouldn't even be in this position if not for the entire coaching staff holding his hand for 4 years.  

Youre mad cause the coaching staff helped a UND basketball player get better (on and off the court)?

That's their job, Son.

You should be happy the staff did such a good job.

Just like for Berstine, Shanks, and now Crandall.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to move away from Geno for a bit and focus on the current roster for this post. 

With Geno gone, it means that, more than likely, that Marlon and Cortez will lock down the 1 and 2 spots in the lineup. Could be beneficial to Cortez has he will be playing his natural position at the 2.  Brown and Moody, I would suspect, would back them up  with Panoam taking the minutes that Tray had last year. 

What will be interesting now is who will start at the 3 spot in the line up.  Jones MO has been to play 3 guards, (Webb/Anderson/Huff, Q/Geno/Corey, Geno/Marlon/Seales).  What I would like to see is either Saddler or McCauley get the nod to start and whoever doesn't will back him up.  It would be a better lineup over starting Brown (which I have a bad inkling in the pit of my stomach that Jones is going to lean in that direction to stick with his traditional 3 guards who can handle the ball).

Nothing changes at the 4/5 spots in the lineup.  Jal and Avants start, Marko and Walter back them up. 

This means that the incoming players need to be more than ready to contribute IMMEDIATELY and now puts more pressure on Marlon and Seales to have big summers to be ready to lead this team. Marlon and Seales better be ready and comfortable shooting 3's.

Right now this is a midpack to lower Summit league team.  Too many question marks at the forward spot outside of Avants and you don't easily replace what Geno brought to the table.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Youre mad cause the coaching staff helped a UND basketball player get better (on and off the court)?

That's their job, Son.

You should be happy the staff did such a good job.

Just like for Berstine, Shanks, and now Crandall.

Don't think you understand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Youre mad cause the coaching staff helped a UND basketball player get better (on and off the court)?

That's their job, Son.

You should be happy the staff did such a good job.

Just like for Berstine, Shanks, and now Crandall.

Maybe they just don't think it's fair to the program that he wanted to openly lead them on through at least the end of the summer just in case his Plan A of taking a bunch of credits to graduated didn't work and all the while having UND hold his scholarship for him just in case (instead of recruit someone who would be here in the fall to help the team).

Bernstine and Shanks actually graduated in May and made their moves known right away. Situation is completely different.

Jones isn't a comparison either. He had an injury riddled past and the staff at Iowa told him he would get more minutes finding somewhere else to play. Again, completely different.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm going to move away from Geno for a bit and focus on the current roster for this post. 

With Geno gone, it means that, more than likely, that Marlon and Cortez will lock down the 1 and 2 spots in the lineup. Could be beneficial to Cortez has he will be playing his natural position at the 2.  Brown and Moody, I would suspect, would back them up  with Panoam taking the minutes that Tray had last year. 

What will be interesting now is who will start at the 3 spot in the line up.  Jones MO has been to play 3 guards, (Webb/Anderson/Huff, Q/Geno/Corey, Geno/Marlon/Seales).  What I would like to see is either Saddler or McCauley get the nod to start and whoever doesn't will back him up.  It would be a better lineup over starting Brown (which I have a bad inkling in the pit of my stomach that Jones is going to lean in that direction to stick with his traditional 3 guards who can handle the ball).

Nothing changes at the 4/5 spots in the lineup.  Jal and Avants start, Marko and Walter back them up. 

This means that the incoming players need to be more than ready to contribute IMMEDIATELY and now puts more pressure on Marlon and Seales to have big summers to be ready to lead this team. Marlon and Seales better be ready and comfortable shooting 3's.

Right now this is a midpack to lower Summit league team.  Too many question marks at the forward spot outside of Avants and you don't easily replace what Geno brought to the table.   

Pretty frustrating  that we have a lost/rebuilding season before we even start. How are fans supposed to get excited when we don't have a chance going in. We don't reload - we hope for one good year out of four.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Don't think you understand. 

Critical thinking has never been your strong point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Pretty frustrating  that we have a lost/rebuilding season before we even start. How are fans supposed to get excited when we don't have a chance going in. We don't reload - we hope for one good year out of four.

If you want a silver lining, outside of SDSU, can you tell me who the 2nd best team in that conference is? The gap between 1 and 2 is larger between 2 and 8 (I have Omaha pegged dead last). I just have far too many questions about this team to put them any higher.  Maybe they do come together, the freshman bigs are as advertised, Marlon and Cortez take big steps and it leads them to a top half finish. 

SDSU is going to buzzsaw through this season, I wouldn't be shocked if they run the table in conference play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Critical thinking has never been your strong point.

You keep generalizing, Mensa.  I and a few others will keep telling the facts of the matter.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Maybe they just don't think it's fair to the program that he wanted to openly lead them on through at least the end of the summer just in case his Plan A of taking a bunch of credits to graduated didn't work and all the while having UND hold his scholarship for him just in case (instead of recruit someone who would be here in the fall to help the team).

Bernstine and Shanks actually graduated in May and made their moves known right away. Situation is completely different.

Jones isn't a comparison either. He had an injury riddled past and the staff at Iowa told him he would get more minutes finding somewhere else to play. Again, completely different.

So if he would have let them know in late May he would have been fine but early June he screwed them over???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×