SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

bounce

3 hours ago, hoops44 said:

Und assistants get paid peanuts...guys with families need to make more coin....Transfers season is winding down...spots are filling up .if geno was good to go he would have signed with the gophers and probably started for them next yesr

Geno probably wouldn't start but would get plenty of minutes.

2 hours ago, ND1 said:

He already used his redshirt  year, if he transfers without graduating...he doesn’t have any eligibility left 

He could transfer to another school prior to graduating...and become an eligible to play after transferring contingent upon him completing his undergrad degree....ie announce he is transferring to the u of m today...finish his undergrad credits over the summer and play or finish undergrad credits in fall semester and play for winter semester

32 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

He could transfer to another school prior to graduating...and become an eligible to play after transferring contingent upon him completing his undergrad degree....ie announce he is transferring to the u of m today...finish his undergrad credits over the summer and play or finish undergrad credits in fall semester and play for winter semester

Once enrolled and excluding a medical hardship, you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. 

11 hours ago, ND1 said:

Once enrolled and excluding a medical hardship, you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. 

That is true and that is why I said geno would need his degree before being eligible ...and like I said he could transfer to the gophs tomorrow ,get his degree over the summer and play as a redshirt senior for the gophs this fall

Here’s a write up on Brad Davidson going to USD:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2018/05/10/university-south-dakota-coyotes-adds-brad-davidson-mens-basketball-staff-north-dakota-fighting-hawks/598237002/

The pace and space game is more important than ever.  Villanova has used it masterfully to win chanpionships.  Taking 3-point shot and making them are very important.  Think Davidson understands that more than most.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

He has promised Aussie recruits for USD.

USD had an Aussie 6’11” guy that Davidson told Lee they didn’t want so they released him of his NLI. Also, probably felt more wanted by Craig Smith so ended up with Utah State. 

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

let's say that before horner left for truman that jones took a job elsewhere...would horner have been a legit guy to replace jones?

While I think Horner will become a good (maybe very good) college coach, I don't think we (or most any DI school) would/should hire a coach without head coaching experience.  In this case, it is hard to tell how much Horner as contributed as we have been so-so team (other than last year) during his time at UND.  He certainly assisted with recruiting in IA but I am not sure how much talent we have really gotten out of IA

There is an effort ongoing to expand the NCAA tournament to 72 teams, from 68 with a western site like Salt Lake City or Albuquerque.  A First Four in Dayton and a First Four out west.  This would likely increase the number of mid-major at-large teams.

The ACC has endorsed and sponsored it so it may pass.

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/acc-seeks-expand-ncaa-tourney-4-teams-change-rules

Also, proposals to move back the three-pt line, widen the lane, and reset the possision clock to only 20 sec after an offensive rebound.

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2018/5/17/17365546/acc-expand-ncaa-tournament-72-teams-first-four-college-basketball-expansion

1 hour ago, bounce said:

5/18/2018 - JUCO SG Zac Saddler (6-7, 200, 2★) has received an offer from North Dakota.  looks like 2 more players pluse kinsey are leaving

Committed 5/18/2018

Interesting background - he averaged 14+ points and 8 rebounds per game his senior year of HS and was named all-state at some level in TX.  Supposedly had numerous offers including Washington State before choosing UW-Mil.  His JC team finished 15-14 last year (Saddler started 21 games) but had a weird season: they won its first 8 games and were 13-2 before losing 12 games in a row.  They won their last two.    

Although Verbal Commits lists him as a SG, it appears he normally plays the 3 and some 4.  He weighs 215 now so has OK bulk.  With three years of eligibility, he could be a contributor in the future. 

• Like 1

West Texas has Zac at 6'6" .. looks like a 3/4 spot ,  Summit league player....Biljilk is reportedly in GF working out and schooling....2 players still to leave my guess is Buchanan going to iowa juco...and moody or McCauley being last man out

15 minutes ago, bounce said:

West Texas has Zac at 6'6" .. looks like a 3/4 spot ,  Summit league player....Biljilk is reportedly in GF working out and schooling....2 players still to leave my guess is Buchanan going to iowa juco...and moody or McCauley being last man out

I hope it’s not Moody. I was really interested in seeing if he could ever contribute at this level. 

Another question, who’s in line to replace Davidson and Horner? Could Aaron Anderson take on a full time role? May be nice to have him if he can get the MSP area a priority again but who knows if he wants to give up his international career.