SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

bounce

8 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Could Geno be the next one to leave after the summer?? Hearing he is taking a unusual amount of summer classes that will allow him to graduate (transfer ?)

I mean that’s who I would have always assumed. Without him, we are doomed in the Summit next year. 

12 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Could Geno be the next one to leave after the summer?? Hearing he is taking a unusual amount of summer classes that will allow him to graduate (transfer ?)

Is Geno going to transfer from a team where he is arguably the best player to ride the pine on and Mountain West or MAC school??  

This Davidson to USD, does rub me the wrong way in a couple of ways now.  1.  I don't like to see our staff pilfered by what will be starting this year as a conference rival.  2. I'm concerned that what I was told by someone close to the program, that USD, offered a significant pay hike that we couldn't come close to.  If that's the case, we might be in trouble for the foreseeable future if we hope to retain assistants.  Basketball at USD is there baby, and I could understand why an assistant would be tempted to go there...but it is also Vermillion, and that would maybe be a tough choice, between here and there.  But if he's getting a big pay bump and we can't compete, I can't fault anyone including Coach Davidson for looking out for themselves and their family, but I also don't like it as we are A. going to have to compete against him  to get to where UND wants to go in the Summit (he knows our philosophies and how we typically adjust), and B it indicates that as far as budgets for a sport like basketball in The Summit-- we are chasing, and that is never a great place to be going into a new conference.

Und assistants get paid peanuts...guys with families need to make more coin....Transfers season is winding down...spots are filling up .if geno was good to go he would have signed with the gophers and probably started for them next yesr

2 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

From what I was told Davidson was only a shooting coach.  No recruiting or scouting.  WTF?

They will be just fine without him.

I believe Davidson, was a full assistant with full responsibilities.  He was a national team shooting coach, I think. In fact during the National Tournament season, Ralston  mentioned on a broadcast that Coach Davidson was unbeaten in all his scouts that season.  I'm guessing each assistant gets certain teams to scout and prepare the game plan for each of their games during the season during.  In fact in every pre-game show he visits with the assistant who has built the game plan and done all the video work for that night's opponent, and gives info during the interview of what they've seen from the opponent.  This would make me think he does the standard assistant's role.  But I may be wrong, as I don't know all the behind the scenes duties of assistants.

The salaries for each of 3 men's basketball assistants at USD last year were approximately $70,000 each and the assistant coaches at SDSU were at approximately $85,000 each.  I believe Davidson's salary at UND was in the range of $40,000 to $45,000.

17 minutes ago, the green team said:

I believe Davidson, was a full assistant with full responsibilities.  He was a national team shooting coach, I think. In fact during the National Tournament season, Ralston  mentioned on a broadcast that Coach Davidson was unbeaten in all his scouts that season.  I'm guessing each assistant gets certain teams to scout and prepare the game plan for each of their games during the season during.  In fact in every pre-game show he visits with the assistant who has built the game plan and done all the video work for that night's opponent, and gives info during the interview of what they've seen from the opponent.  This would make me think he does the standard assistant's role.  But I may be wrong, as I don't know all the behind the scenes duties of assistants.

UND will be just fine without him.  Horner on the other hand.....

4 minutes ago, goyotes said:

The salaries for each of 3 men's basketball assistants at USD last year were approximately $70,000 each and the assistant coaches at SDSU were at approximately $85,000 each.  I believe Davidson's salary at UND was in the range of $40,000 to $45,000.

I believe it but yikes. 

9 minutes ago, goyotes said:

Where did you see/hear that? 

EDIT 

Found this: 

During Jones' previous contract, his assistant salary pool was $136,269. In his new deal, that total has climbed to $160,000. That's a raise of $23,731.

UND's current staff includes assistants Jeff Horner (three seasons at UND), Brad Davidson (one season at UND) and Steve Grabowski (five seasons at UND). The Director of Basketball Operations is Craig Heatherly (two seasons at UND).

https://www.inforum.com/sports/4292562-unds-new-basketball-contract-begins-address-assistant-coach-pay

42 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Und assistants get paid peanuts...guys with families need to make more coin....Transfers season is winding down...spots are filling up .if geno was good to go he would have signed with the gophers and probably started for them next yesr

Can’t transfer without first graduating.  Maybe he is a typical 20 yr kid that simply loves to attend summer school ....

1 hour ago, ND1 said:

Can’t transfer without first graduating.  Maybe he is a typical 20 yr kid that simply loves to attend summer school ....

You can transfer prior to graduating...not eligible to play prior to graduating...could transfer now and eligibility would be contingent on graduating

Come June, it may not matter anymore as the NCAA will be voting on changing the transfer rules.  If approved by the NCAA, players will be able to tranfer anytime, anywhere, any division.  If this passes, your higher end mid major players will be gone after a year or two... welcome to the JV league 

1 minute ago, hoops44 said:

You can transfer prior to graduating...not eligible to play prior to graduating...could transfer now and eligibility would be contingent on graduating

He already used his redshirt  year, if he transfers without graduating...he doesn’t have any eligibility left