SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

bounce

My expectation coming into this season wasn’t very high and unfortunately we haven’t exceeded my expectations.

I used to live for a bison game and now I have lost  some of my interest. My years at UND we’re late 70s and early 80s. I think we had something like a 40 home win streak.  We used to get over 6000 fans for a home game. Just isn’t the same for me.

Sigh

• 2 weeks later...

I think Eikens should have the potential to be an immediate contributor.  Saw his frame at a game.  I think he has a more mature body for a guard/wing in The Summit.  I would like to see if they can get a really high end point guard.  I'm not convinced that Marlon should be on the ball as much as he is. He didn't have to be last year, and I don't think he was in high school.  Atelbauers wasn't a point guard in Latvia, from what I understand. I don't think it's a conversion that is coming easy for him.  The question is, do they think Panoam is a point guard at the level needed in The Summit, in future years?  I'm not sure that he is.  Hopefully, I'm wrong.   I am probably in the minority, but I like Walter, he probably isn't a starter. But he does a lot of little things and he has shown the ability to stretch teams with an outside shot, can put it on the floor and get to a pull up or runner.  He just needs to be more consistent, that of course is the knock.   Ideally, find someone who is  broader than Walter, who can start, and then let Walter come off the bench to add his little details in a reserve role, would probably be the best fit next year.

After reading the last several pages...I really know I'm in the minority.  Has it been a great season? Absolutely not. Not by any stretch.  But there have been some games decided by 1 possession, like Omaha and SDSU at The Betty.  There were the 2 NDSU losses that really were served up on a platter by poor shooting by Stewart and Seales in the loss in Fargo, and nearly everyone in Grand Forks (heck UND couldn't make anything right next to the basket in either of those games)  Plus, this team has had to cope without Avants out for an extended stretch.  Is he perfect? No. But they have far better chances with him than without.    I think this team has shown the ability to make the extra pass, that they can defend at times, which I find encouraging.  Not a perfect season, but there are parts of this team, that I see could put something together, not this year, but next if most return (that's never a given in today's game).  This team has not nearly as bad to watch as the 14-15 team.  That was a bad group, that didn't like playing with each other.  15-16, I could tell something was brewing and of course there was the following year, that I didn't miss a game (which I rarely do anyway).  I'm just not a "sky is falling" person when it comes to this group.  It must improve, but I think there are some pieces here...but we also need a couple of pieces.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, the green team said:

I think Eikens should have the potential to be an immediate contributor.  Saw his frame at a game.  I think he has a more mature body for a guard/wing in The Summit.  I would like to see if they can get a really high end point guard.  I'm not convinced that Marlon should be on the ball as much as he is. He didn't have to be last year, and I don't think he was in high school.  Atelbauers wasn't a point guard in Latvia, from what I understand. I don't think it's a conversion that is coming easy for him.  The question is, do they think Panoam is a point guard at the level needed in The Summit, in future years?  I'm not sure that he is.  Hopefully, I'm wrong.   I am probably in the minority, but I like Walter, he probably isn't a starter. But he does a lot of little things and he has shown the ability to stretch teams with an outside shot, can put it on the floor and get to a pull up or runner.  He just needs to be more consistent, that of course is the knock.   Ideally, find someone who is  broader than Walter, who can start, and then let Walter come off the bench to add his little details in a reserve role, would probably be the best fit next year.

After reading the last several pages...I really know I'm in the minority.  Has it been a great season? Absolutely not. Not by any stretch.  But there have been some games decided by 1 possession, like Omaha and SDSU at The Betty.  There were the 2 NDSU losses that really were served up on a platter by poor shooting by Stewart and Seales in the loss in Fargo, and nearly everyone in Grand Forks (heck UND couldn't make anything right next to the basket in either of those games)  Plus, this team has had to cope without Avants out for an extended stretch.  Is he perfect? No. But they have far better chances with him than without.    I think this team has shown the ability to make the extra pass, that they can defend at times, which I find encouraging.  Not a perfect season, but there are parts of this team, that I see could put something together, not this year, but next if most return (that's never a given in today's game).  This team has not nearly as bad to watch as the 14-15 team.  That was a bad group, that didn't like playing with each other.  15-16, I could tell something was brewing and of course there was the following year, that I didn't miss a game (which I rarely do anyway).  I'm just not a "sky is falling" person when it comes to this group.  It must improve, but I think there are some pieces here...but we also need a couple of pieces.

To comment on a few points

-That is my issue with Walter, and I will throw Brown in this as well.  They both will have a 2-3 games where you go: Okay, I can see why they are starters, then 2-3 games where you throw your hands up and go WTF are they still on the roster!  They have gotten better but because of some deficiencies right now on the squad they are in roles that I think they are not prepared for.  If we had this version of Walter and Brown last year as reserves, I don't think they go 12-20 last year.  Unless they have the people capable of replacing them in the lineup, I suspect they will start next year, and maybe they can take another step up.  

-I want this team to add a guard and another big (traditional 5 preferably).  If UND does that the 2 scholarships (according to verbal commits) and they don't give those to their non-scholarships, that is where I would address the teams issues. Of course we are assuming that everyone comes back next year, which is no guarantee (I wouldn't be surprised to see a freshman decide to move on*)  I don't know much about Schmidt and his expectations but I would love another big that can play the 5 and that would allow Rebraca to stay at the 4 and would give UND the option to move Walter to the bench.  The PG is interesting.   I would love a pure point guard that can run the show, but so would 350 other programs.  I wish they kept Davids in the rotation and let him work it out in competition.  I can see Panoam working out but I'm worried about his size.  (Although yes, UND did have AA from back in the day and didn't have any issues).  

-I want Eikens to be that immediate contributior.  A young core of Moody, Rebraca and Eikens would be great to build around

-They will probably finish with around the same record as they did last year, but I feel disappointed that they left many games on the table and made the same mistakes over and over again in these close situations.  You are right that this team is far better than the 14-15 disaster, but two goods things came from that season:  Q grew up and Jones realized that it wasn't going to work with that group and overhauled the roster that led to the success in 16-17.

-I would love to see someome else from this freshman class step up and be a contributor, I think that is where I am most disappointed.  Outside of Rebraca (I'm not counting Moody because he redshirted in this situation) no one else has stepped in and has been a consistent contributor.  This needs to be a big offseason for one or two of these freshman.

-The Summit next year is going to be a dogfight.  I don't see why UND can't compete next year. 

-I want this team to take a foreign trip next year. 

*I have no inside information

3 hours ago, Hambone said:

What about Jal?  Does anyone think he's going to live up to the hype from when he signed?  I haven't really watched much this year, and I believe he played earlier in the year so we probably burned his redshirt........

My understanding is the coach's asked him to take one as they felt it would greatly benefit him, but Jal declined and wanted to try play. 

3 hours ago, Hambone said:

What about Jal?  Does anyone think he's going to live up to the hype from when he signed?  I haven't really watched much this year, and I believe he played earlier in the year so we probably burned his redshirt........

Jal needs to add some weight.  They have a good core with Eikens next year.  A true point guard would do more than a big.  Speed.  All the skill guys can run.  

1 hour ago, the green team said:

My understanding is the coach's asked him to take one as they felt it would greatly benefit him, but Jal declined and wanted to try play. 

You can see his athleticism when he's out there, absolutely off the charts, but needs to work on defense and overall court awareness. Just needs more time to grow into the college game but could be a huge difference maker if he develops. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Thank you,  a trip out to Montana this year and hosting Eastern.

God, I would love to see if they could finally beat the Griz in Montana.